Wooly

Base Pin Modification -- Smaller Weedguard

Quick question -- Have any of you guys modified the base pins on the Do-it molds so that it accepts a smaller diameter weedguard? I am working on some finesse jigs and really don't want to use 1/8 weedguard (seems too big). I'd prefer to do something like - tapering down the base pin diameter where it enters the cavity. I guess worst case is pouring without the base pin and then drilling out the hole. Let me know what you think.

thanks,

Quick question -- Have any of you guys modified the base pins on the Do-it molds so that it accepts a smaller diameter weedguard? I am working on some finesse jigs and really don't want to use 1/8 weedguard (seems too big). I'd prefer to do something like - tapering down the base pin diameter where it enters the cavity. I guess worst case is pouring without the base pin and then drilling out the hole. Let me know what you think.

thanks,

I have done this to make hair jigs using the 1/8oz football jig cavity. Lay the base pin in the mold and using a sharpie mark where the head and base pin meet. Now I just used a small file and slowly filed it down until it was a little bigger than 1/16". This is a slow process and definately not high volume but for the 20 hare jigs I use a year it works fine.

Allen

thanks,

Just find an insert the size of the weed guard you desire. Place some modeling clay in the weed guard slot on both sides of the mold and place your new insert in. Close the mold. Wipe off any extra clay that comes out of the slot. You do not have to fill the whole weed guard slot just the first 4 or 5 mm nearest the head. .

OR.....you can just go to the local hardware store...get 3 or 4 finishing nails in various sizes..cut the points of and sand them flat smooth and have at it. I know this works because I did it again yesterday...lol..I guess you do learn a thing or two after 25+ years foolin' with melted molten metal and wire...