meallenjr

Lil Mac Molds

I've never used them or even heard of them until now but looking at them they seem to be a pretty good product however I didn't see the bullet slip sinker. Did you look at the Do-it slip-jig lure? It is simply a bullet weight with a collar to which you can apply a skirt, I think it is what you're looking at but I didn't see it at the lil mac web site.

I've never used them or even heard of them until now but looking at them they seem to be a pretty good product however I didn't see the bullet slip sinker. Did you look at the Do-it slip-jig lure? It is simply a bullet weight with a collar to which you can apply a skirt, I think it is what you're looking at but I didn't see it at the lil mac web site.

http://www.lilmacmolds.com/Midget_Molds.html. yeah i have seen the slip jig i am wanting tx rig weight mold with concave

I have one. It's a ball jig mold 1/2 oz. -5 oz. (Round ball with 2 brass eyelets) Knowing what i know now, I wouldn't give $5 for the thing. Very course castings, and the 2 spots for placing the #1 eyelets are worthless. The eyes just fall into the mold. Kind of hard to shut the thing and keep the 2 eyes from falling out, and if you want to cast 2 or 3 sizes at a time like I do, good luck at keeping 6 eyes from falling down. I contacted them also about the brass eyes sticking out of the ball to far, and that the eyes would bend easy. They told me to spend the extra money for the stainless eyes, they don't bend as easy. Thanks for the help lol.

So I spend the money to have it like a do-it mold, so the eye sits around a pin and the thing will stay put. That works now, but the total cost of the mold just went up another $50. After you pour, the stinking lead balls, they have to be beaten/screw driver out because of a poor sprue design. Before someone post it, no, the release spray would not help it, poor design.

This mold is going into the trash very soon, because I am buying do-it ball sinker molds and having another eye holder machined into the mold. Should have done this in the first place, but sall this mold and figured it would work.

When I called to talk to them about the eyes sticking out so far, they acted like total idiots and said "well, I wouldn't have a clue as to what to change to fix the eyes sticking out of the ball to far". I asked "are you serious?, you do understand that this is most likely done by CNC machine, and they would just have to change the numbers a little?"

I guess you get my point, between the actual mold, and then the "customer service", I would keep anyone away from them.

I just bought one of these molds a couple of weeks ago. I sent feedback tothe company yesterday. I will copy it in here:

Vince,

Thanks for sending the mold. I have some feedback for you on it.

The surfaces of the mold cavities are of a very good quality. It should produce a much better quality product that Do-it, except for the enormous gate that needs to be cut.

I never got it to work properly. About one out of twenty castings come out properly. I have about 25 other molds from Do-it, Hilts and Palmer (Mostly Do-it) and have never given up on making a mold work before, but this one I give up on. I have tried various temperatures, ladle pouring, pouring from the spout on my Lee pot, different alloys (I usually run pure lead), fluxing the lead with various materials, and blackening the cavities with soot. No luck.

Cause: I think air is getting trapped in the based (rim of the concave area) and won’t let the mold fill completely.

I eventually cut a new gate and was able to pour the mold, although very inefficiently, by making the opening to one side of the cavity to fit my Lee pot spout exactly (3/8”) and allowing only 3/32” for the spru. This way the lead is gravity injected directly into the cavity. It isn’t a solution to this particular mold, but it got me thinking:

Suggestion

I am certain that there is a market for molds that will work with Lee pots -- that is to say, molds that have a single gate opening for each cavity that is 3\8” in diameter, about 3/16” deep and have a gate of about 3/32”. This would allow the user to cast a perfect product every time (0 defects) and have an almost insignificant gate that can be twisted off. Nobody is catering to this market. Do a shout-out at tackleunderground.com in the wire baits forum. I believe lot of custom bait makers would be interested.

I would like to purchase more of you molds, but the gate is so large that, when the spru iscut off, it overshadows the quality of the cavity surface.

Hope this helps,

Stephen[/size]

I am now having a blank bullet mold from Lee cut for the worm slip sinker (concave base). I tried for weeks to get ahold of Collins with no luck, so this is my plan C.