Big Boy Baits

Is This A Scam?

Hey guys, I am new to this whole thing, and my scam senses tingled on this order. I removed the names and addresses, but kept the original emails. He wanted 1000 of my frogs shipped to New Zealand to a post house. His shipping address was different then his real name he told me, and he kept wanted to get my phone number. He also wanted it shipped through a certian company that would cost $2380 for door-to-door pickup. Once I said I did not have aworking phone #, he stopped emailing me. If you think about this one logically, couldn't you find a frog cheaper than that in NZ? It just doesn't make sense to me...

P.S.: Do they even have Bass in New Zealand??

Thanks for the help, opinions, and comments.

Here is the emails:

HIM: Good Day,

Am Mr. i will like to order some of you HARD PLASTIC FISHING LURE from your shop i will like to know three different sizes you have in stock now also let me know the price of each and your payment options.Thank you waiting to hear from you soon..

Regards,

ME: Hello

I would like to clarify on what kinds of lure I sell. I sell soft plastic lures, such as worms, crayfish imitations, swimbaits, and other lures like this. All of my lures are available for purchase in any color I have on my color chart. Here is the website: www.bigboybaitco.com

Thanks!

{HIM: Thank you for your email,well i want you to get me 1000pcs for the Kickin Frog that cost $5.00 color Black Ice advice me the Total Cost of them including taxes now.Waiting.

ME: Let me clarify on the quantity you want. You want 1000 Frogs? That would be $1000 plus shipping. It would also take me upwards of 2 months because each frog is hand poured one at a time. Let me know if these numbers are correct.

HIM: Thank you for your email,well that correct so advice me the Total Cost

of 1000pcs now including taxes.Waiting.

ME: The cost would be around $1000 for the lures, plus extra money for the shipping. Where are you located? I could figure out the shipping costs if I knew.

HIM: Hello Kyle

Thank You. I will appreciate if you contact a Freight Company called Cargo Freight Line Limited regarding the Freight cost (Door to Door) to New Zealand and get me the a shipping cost for me.Here is the

shipping address below:

(His address was here but I removed it for privacy)

Here is the Contact Details for the Freight Company below:

Name: Cargo Freight Line Limited.

Mr.Amed Tourey (Office Manager)

Email:cargo-freightline@hotmail.com

Email me back with the Total Cost of shipping Cost as soon as you

contact them.Waiting for your email soon.Thank You.

Regards

ME: I contacted this company and I got a quote from door to door USA to New Zealand for the package weight and dimensions. The cost they sent me was USD $2830.00. The total costs are now at 3830.00 USD for the entire order. Let me know what you think about the price.

Thank You. I will appreciate if you contact a Freight Company called Cargo Freight Line Limited regarding the Freight cost (Door to Door) to New Zealand and get me the a shipping cost for me.Here is the

shipping address below:

Regards

Thank you i want you to add me both shipping cost including the units cost as well you phone number now so that i can called you to proceed the order now.Waiting.

ME: I contacted this company and I got a quote from door to door USA to New Zealand for the package weight and dimensions. The cost they sent me was USD $2830.00. The total costs are now at 3830.00 USD for the entire order. Let me know what you think about the price.

HIM: Advice me you phone number so that i can called you to proceed the

payment now.Waiting.

ME: The total cost of the frogs and the shipping will be at 3830 USD. Since you

are 16 hours ahead of us, email would be the preferred method of communication.

Thanks

ME: I do not have a working phone number as of now, so we have to communicate through email. The payment will be processed through PayPal, let me know when you want to pay and I will get the order started after you pay, since I do not have the supplies to handle an order of that size right now.}

Hey guys, I am new to this whole thing, and my scam senses tingled on this order. I removed the names and addresses, but kept the original emails. He wanted 1000 of my frogs shipped to New Zealand to a post house. His shipping address was different then his real name he told me, and he kept wanted to get my phone number. He also wanted it shipped through a certian company that would cost $2380 for door-to-door pickup. Once I said I did not have aworking phone #, he stopped emailing me. If you think about this one logically, couldn't you find a frog cheaper than that in NZ? It just doesn't make sense to me...

Here is the emails:

Am Mr. i will like to order some of you HARD PLASTIC FISHING LURE from your shop i will like to know three different sizes you have in stock now also let me know the price of each and your payment options.Thank you waiting to hear from you soon..

Regards,

I would like to clarify on what kinds of lure I sell. I sell soft plastic lures, such as worms, crayfish imitations, swimbaits, and other lures like this. All of my lures are available for purchase in any color I have on my color chart. Here is the website: www.bigboybaitco.com

Thanks!

{HIM: Thank you for your email,well i want you to get me 1000pcs for the Kickin Frog that cost $5.00 color Black Ice advice me the Total Cost of them including taxes now.Waiting.

ME: Let me clarify on the quantity you want. You want 1000 Frogs? That would be $1000 plus shipping. It would also take me upwards of 2 months because each frog is hand poured one at a time. Let me know if these numbers are correct.

ME: The cost would be around $1000 for the lures, plus extra money for the shipping. Where are you located? I could figure out the shipping costs if I knew.

shipping address below:

Regards

shipping address below:

Regards

Thank you i want you to add me both shipping cost including the units cost as well you phone number now so that i can called you to proceed the order now.Waiting.

payment now.Waiting.

Thanks

ME: I do not have a working phone number as of now, so we have to communicate through email. The payment will be processed through PayPal, let me know when you want to pay and I will get the order started after you pay, since I do not have the supplies to handle an order of that size right now.}

I have shipped all over the world with no problems. But I only ship UPS

Payment is made up front and in the form of Direct Bank Deposit.

Worked great every time.

your shipping cost estimate, was way to high. I have shipped plenty of heavy Jigs and spinnerbaits for $300. to $400.

don`t worry about the name confusion, All those foriegn companies have several names and from many partners.

Just get his money up front.

Let him know when you will ship

get his order the color he wants.

Good Luck.

Dale

Seemed wierd to me too. The bit that raised alarm bells with me was the hotmail email account of the freight company. Big companies do not use free/throw away email accounts as far as I know.

FedEx from my home (Indonesia) to USA for 20.5Kg is $594.30. NZ may cost a little more, but not much. FedEx works well, my package was received in the USA in three days.

With orders of this magnitude and distances, there are obviously going to be trust issues. Either a significant payment would have to be made up front and/or the order broken down into smaller batches. It would be a shame to lose such an order, but believe me, getting stung hurts a lot more. You are right to be cautious and this guy should understand this, if he is genuine.

Dave

i know people speak differently in other parts of the world but it definitely would raise a redflag with me also one for that but to pay almost 4.00 per frog is ridiculous. he could buy the plastic, colors, glitter, microwave, pyrex and 10 gallons of plastic and make them himself and have leftovers too boot. and have it all shipped from the us also. be cautious without ALL of the money upfront DONT do it!!

SCAM! He sent this e-mail to every bait company he could find. You might want to check the postal code of where it is suppose to be delivered. It might not even be in New Zealand. I've had orders before that said one country and the postal code was in Nigeria.

People get credit card numbers and place orders. You get paid and then the people (victims) find out someone is using their CC#. They get the money put back into their account. The money you received get sucked right out and the scammer gets the merchandise.

Edited by 152nd Street Baits

SCAM! He sent this e-mail to every bait company he could find. You might want to check the postal code of where it is suppose to be delivered. It might not even be in New Zealand. I've had orders before that said one country and the postal code was in Nigeria.

People get credit card numbers and place orders. You get paid and then the people (victims) find out someone is using their CC#. They get the money put back into their account. The money you received get sucked right out and the scammer gets the merchandise.

SCAM This topic has been discussed in other forums. While researching this for a friend of mine that sold furs and got a similar email order I found this printing site discussing the scam. It's done with stolen credit cards. You get stuck with the shipping charges and the cost of your products.

http://www.advertisingmiami.com/blog/2009/10/how-the-printing-quote-scam-doesnt-work/

Here is the emails:

Regards,

Thanks!

shipping address below:

Regards

shipping address below:

Regards

payment now.Waiting.

Thanks

i got the same first email, as soon as i saw " HARD PLASTIC FISHING LURE" in the first line i knew it was a scam

If it smells like crap and it looks like crap; then it must be crap.

This type of thing has happened to me many times over the years. I fell for it once on an order of Grumpys placed by a guy in Cal. and shipped to his brother in Phillipines. Next thing I knew a bait that very closely resembled, and even displayed the same way, appeared on the Chinese market. Lesson learned.

My suggestion to you is don't grab for the carrot that is being dangled in front of you.

I think he wants your phone number so that he can ask for your bank account # to deposit his so-called payment. At which point you can kiss whatever $ is in your account goodbye.

Just my thoughts; you have to do what you think is best. Good luck.

www.novalures.com

Edited by nova

Wow. Thanks guys. I had no idea other companies got this email. For a small company started in the last 2 months, a 1k order is a big deal, so I had to be 100% sure before taking it. I have come to my conslusion: No thanks! I hate scammers and I will never respond to him again, and I will block him. I just recieved the same email asking for HARD METAL JIGHEAD instead of HARD PLASTIC FISHING LURE.

Thanks for the help!

Seemed wierd to me too. The bit that raised alarm bells with me was the hotmail email account of the freight company. Big companies do not use free/throw away email accounts as far as I know.

Tangent

I had an issue with something like that with Qwest Communications recently. They appeared to have a service quality issue affecting hundreds if not thousands of customers. They refused to take me seriously citing contacting them via the hotmail account I have used for business for 15 years. I may have had that Hotmail address since before Qwest had their own website. I got it because i knew I would change service providers many times over the years and I did not have my own websites back then. I wanted an address that would maintain continuity for doing business. Back then everybody just had, myhandle@myserviceprovider.com as an address, and most people I did business with didn't even have email yet.

I might add that I had already spent two days on the phone trying to talk to somebody with Qwest who would address the problem. I finally started sending emails to any Qwest address I could find as a desperation measure. Since my emails were signed with my license numbers, business address, phone numebrs, and business name they could easily have verified my information online in seconds, and given me a call. Instead they refused to take me seriously and just ignored the problem in favor of exchanging emails denigrating my choice of an email address for my communications contracting business. The problem does appear to have finally been resolved, but nothing I did fixed the problem, and of course I have heard nothing further from Qwest.

Anyway, using a "throw-a-way" address may be a warning sign (yellow card) it is not necessarily a penalty flag (red card for the rest of the world).

I do have emails at yumabassman for personal and yumaproam for my fishing club now, but I have been using that hotmail account for so long for my contracting business it would be a pain to change it.

Back On Topic

Next time just send them a PayPal invoice and forget it until they pay. If they pay ship by a service of your choice that will verify delivery. Put it in the terms section on your invoice.

Edited by Bob La Londe

I have had several people contact me about ordering anywhere from 1000 pieces to 5000 pieces. They ask how much it would be and when you tell them, they say that they will pay via credit card. I tell them that I only accept paypal. I ask for their names and addresses, but never receive them Once I do not receive an email after asking these questions, I ignore anymore from that same address. Everyone that has contact has a return email address @ hotmail.com is very suspicious to me anyway. I have one customer in England and I was very suspicious until I sent him a bill thru paypal and he paid it. Then I asked for an address to send these bait to and checked it out. Luckily, he was legitimate and I never had a problem since.

Whenever I get an order for more than 1000 pieces, I am very suspicious and ask a lot of questions.

Edited by B and D Lures