steve187

Weed Guard Glue ?

I am using Super glue gel. So far I am satisfied with the adhesion qualities. I glue lots of weedguards at a time. Maybe 50 or 100. When I come out the next day to check the process the jig heads always have a cloudy film on them. I assume it's some sort of a gas or vapor deposit as part of the curing process. It seems to wipe off OK but it's a pain. Does anyone else have this issue?

Thanks,

Steve

Yes it is very common with gel super glue. It is the cyanoacrylate drying and evaporating. Nothing you can do if you use this glue I just wipe it off. If you want it shiny again by the weedguard hole, you can take some liquid car polish rub it on and buff it off. Yes it does work. If you want to eliminate the white chalky residue, you can use D2T as it dries clear in 24 hours. Maybe other have more ideas. I have gotten some glue from a member here that I am experimenting with that dries clear. I will post when I get a chance.

Edited by cadman

Has anyone tried curing in front of a small fan, a computer style axial fan would work. This would blow the fumes away before they got a chance to settle and cause the stain.

I don't have any gel and the standard CA glue did not leave a stain on my test piece, so you guys will have to test the idea and report.

Dave

Has anyone tried curing in front of a small fan, a computer style axial fan would work. This would blow the fumes away before they got a chance to settle and cause the stain.

I don't have any gel and the standard CA glue did not leave a stain on my test piece, so you guys will have to test the idea and report.

Dave

A fan ? Brilliant ! I'll try it next time. Thanks

Steve

I use the D2T for weedguards. It's easier for me since I going to use it as a top coat also, I tried the fan with super glue gel on jigs I wasn't going to top coat and I still got the residue problem. I used a small coleman tent fan so maybe it wasn't enough air flow but after that I just stick to what works for me.

I use the D2T for weedguards. It's easier for me since I going to use it as a top coat also, I tried the fan with super glue gel on jigs I wasn't going to top coat and I still got the residue problem. I used a small coleman tent fan so maybe it wasn't enough air flow but after that I just stick to what works for me.

I am disappointed that this idea did not work, it seemed so promising. Next time I am out shopping, I will see if I can find the gel and do some testing. I am sure there is a solution here. I did some web searching, but could not find anything on the subject of this deposit problem.

Dave

ps. Just found this link, about fingerprint detection. It seems that humidity might be part of the problem: http://www.brad.ac.uk/acad/lifesci/cfs/localaccess/pwrdreqd/FEESM/pdfs/detection%20methods%20-%20Superglue.pdf

Edited by Vodkaman

Any type of super glue will leave this white residue. The oil from your fingers on the jig and the weedguard seems to really attract the residue. I wear gloves when I remove the jig from the oven after baking and I wear gloves while gluing in the weedguards. I don't handle the weedguards with bare hand either. I buy latex gloves and they are very cheap from Uline. I also have a fan the is 12 inches in diameter that I leave on the jigs while they cure. All of this helps but some residue can still be seen but can be taken off with you fingers when putting the skirt on. I usually try to glue in the weedguards last thing at night so I can leave them to cure for at least 12 hours before I package them. I do about three hundred of these a day. I would prefer to use D2T but it sets up so fast and gets stringy. Super glue gel is the best option I have found for strength and productivity.

Hi everyone, I’m new on this forum.

For gluing the weed guard I use fiber glass resin, is like epoxy you need to mix two parts. I like to add a little amount of talc or baby powder for make it heavyor dense, you can add color to this mix too. If you touch the mix with your fingers you will mess around your jig.

Take care.

Edited by rayhorse

Well, I've been gone for a bit. My computer crashed and I haven't solved that issue yet. I have to negotiate with the wife for time on her PC, LOL .

Anyway I built some jigs the other day and used the superglue gel for the weedguards. I placed a fan blowing directly on them and the next day when I checked them they were just fine. I now have a location set up for that part of the process. Thank you for the suggestion.

Well, I've been gone for a bit. My computer crashed and I haven't solved that issue yet. I have to negotiate with the wife for time on her PC, LOL .

Anyway I built some jigs the other day and used the superglue gel for the weedguards. I placed a fan blowing directly on them and the next day when I checked them they were just fine. I now have a location set up for that part of the process. Thank you for the suggestion.

Ha! it worked. Thankyou for trying the idea.

If you could post a pic of your fan/lure setup, it might help others get it right.

Dave

Ha! it worked. Thankyou for trying the idea.

If you could post a pic of your fan/lure setup, it might help others get it right.

Dave

OK I'll give it a try. I'm sort of embarrassed to because it's simply to point a fan on them while they are drying. I'll get a pic.

OK I'll give it a try. I'm sort of embarrassed to because it's simply to point a fan on them while they are drying. I'll get a pic.

I only ask because Smalljaw tried it without any luck. He did say that his fan may not have been big enough, so it is more for a visual of the fan type/size and the distance and direction. We are all learning, so embarrassment is not an issue.

Dave

I am new here but I use a 2 part 5 minute epoxy from Harbor Freight. I am very pleased with it. I can't glue but around 5 or so at a time but it gets the job done.

Some of the guys use Devcon 2 Ton epoxy which is 2 parts. I use it a little for the weedguards. It works. Since I bought a bit of it I've repaired many things around the house with it. It is some strong stuff.

Welcome to the forum.