Jig Man

Not All Silicone Cups Seem To Be Equal

Several days ago I posted asking about them. I decided to go to the local Bed Bath and Beyond because they had 2 listed. When I got there the "good" ones had to be ordered. The card said they could withstand like 560° and had a built in green non slip section.

They came and I tried them out yesterday morning.

I heated new plastisol for 1 minute then stirred it and put it in for 30 seconds. During that 30 seconds I heard a small explosion in the micro. I pulled out the cup and there were bulges on both sices and some of the cup had come apart and was in the plastisol.

I poured that out into the other new cup and gave it a 30 second heat up. It blew up just like the first one. So I guess I'll go to Ebay and see about some of the other recommended cups.

Check the NorPro cups at this link: http://www.norprowebstore.com/Search.aspx?SearchTerm=silicone+measuring+cups They hold up fine for melting plastisol

Those are the ones I got from Amazon, they do work good. Those others must not have been 100% silicon. Perhaps the non-slip section was something else or had air trapped in it?

Good for you. I hope you like them.

The cup does get hot when it's heated, but not as hot as the pyrex, so it hold heat much longer.

When I pour, I wear a leather glove on my left hand, which supports the cup, and hold the top of the cup pinched with a big bag clip-type paper clip, to form a smaller pouring spout.

I use a folded over metal clothes hanger for a stir stick, and leave it in the cup when I'm pouring, behind the clip, so I can stir my plastic as I pour.

I guide the spout with my right hand, and also stir with it.

Just go slow, until you get the feel for it, and never leave the metal stir stick in the cup when you reheat the plastic.

Having several cups makes pouring laminates in top pour molds easy.

If you want to top pour laminates, stagger your heating, so the plastic in the first pour can cool a little (maybe a minute or so) before you add the second, or they will mix too much. Waiting time will vary according to how hot you pour (I try to pour at 340) and how deep and thick your first pour is. For my larger swimbaits, I wait a little longer.

Good luck.

http://www.soapdisharchives.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=57949

Two years ago I removed a hot Pyrex container of plastisol from the micro wave and was stirring it @ waist height when it exploded like a hand grenade. I will NEVER use a Pyrex cup again in the microwave w/ plastisol. I use borosilicate lab -grade,measuring cups from the Container Store

I'm guessing the sst table is just covered with sheet metal, so it heats quickly without cooling the pyrex too much. The cast iron drill press table is thick, and a huge heat sink, so it probably cooled the bottom of the pyrex cup fast enough to cause uneven stress. Tempered glass doesn't like uneven stress.

I'm guessing the sst table is just covered with sheet metal, so it heats quickly without cooling the pyrex too much. The cast iron drill press table is thick, and a huge heat sink, so it probably cooled the bottom of the pyrex cup fast enough to cause uneven stress. Tempered glass doesn't like uneven stress.

More than likely its just bent sheet stainless. I know all the meat cutting tables in our grocery store when I was growing up were like that with drop in cutting board sections.

Ok, well, not ALL. When we first started we had a wood block butcher table. (For the first ten years) I scrubbed it and washed it down with bleach every couple hours for years, and nobody ever died or got sick. LOL. Then the regs came along and said we had to use modern stainless and plastic meat tables. It was nicer for me. We got extra drop in cutting surfaces. We would stack them up in the sink, and just wash them all at the end of the day. Now with mandatory refrigerated cutting rooms most outfits don't even wash them or swap them except once a day. Maybe once a shift in busy meat rooms.

Edited by Bob La Londe