Toadslinger

Metal Props For Top Water Baits

Diemal,

The bait with the double props thats what I am looking to make, I know I can buy some but this is TU so always wanting something different...

Dont know what I need to make them but that is exactly what I am looking for. I used to have one my grandfather built but he was a machinist and now I wish I still had it back to make it...any info would be great

Thanks

T

Good topic, personally i think the choices available are mass produced cheap junk. The best props ive seen have been on the luhr jenson woodchopper and nippididdee. They are beefier that what is available and have either a better attachement (either a cylinder bushing type thingy on the nippididdee blades or two prongs similar to buzzbait blades on the woodchopper blades) so they dont wobble around as much. This causes less interference with the rear treble. Without digging up my tackle, i think the woodchopper blades are aluminum, but i think the nippiddee blades are some type of chrome coated steel.

Cool lures Dieter! That last one has some bitchin blades! Large surface area for lots of commotion and dual attachement points.

Edited by pizza

@ Toadslinger

I'm making these props out of 0,5 mm stainles steel sheet , can get it free on the scrapyard of my work .

The material is thin enough to still be able to cut with hand snips or shears , ...no bench shears required , .........but is too thin to cut properly with a metal saw .

Small corners should be drilled before cutting with shears , a second waste piece of sheet should be used to lay underneath the shears cutting edge , so that the cut won't get to reach further as intended .

0,5 mm copper or brass sheet is not suitable , ........as being too soft , it is subject to easy warping and bending , ...even the stainless steel props should not be made larger than maybe 1 1/2" because of these issues , ..........thicker sheet od maybe 1,0 mm might easily become too heavy , especially for smaller lures , ...also it can't be cut with snips anymore(stainless steel only , copper and brass still possible) .

I've made props out of 1,0 mm alumium sheet as well , ...but it seems to me , that these do not provide such a good and rich sound compared to the steel ones , .........I reckon , this is because the material is comparebly light in weight , ...does not shoulder into the water as good !

@ pizza

I also believe these props that you've mentioned to be surperior to the flat ones commonly available , ...these ones constantly cant on their axis since they do not have any bearing surface other that the thin sheet they are made of .

I have tried to soup up such flat props with bearing bushes that I've turned down from brass rod , but also small pop rivet heads can be used for this purpose , results turned out pretty well , .........only does not work for very small of such props , as their center hole requires to be drilled larger for the bush to fit in .

Shot some pictures displaying some of my unsymetrical props of aluminium(these are scrap , ...would make them of SST and with a bearing bush next time) , my template for a small buzz-prop(about 1" from tip to tip) , one flat prop with a homemade brass bearing bush and a shop-bought muskie lure propeller , also with a bearing bush , .........another one is an experimental aluminium single-blade prop with two bearing prongs , would also make it of steel nowadays , also make the distance between the two bearing surfaces less for the prop not to protrude over the ends of the lure too much .

Also shot two pictures from a luremaking book showing the template shape of two different props .

If my memory serves me right , I've been into a discussion about props in here before , but pretty long time ago , ........maybe someone could still dig it up ?

greetz , Dieter :yay:

DSCI0002-1.JPG

DSCI0007-1.JPG

DSCI0011-1.JPG

DSCI0012-1.JPG

DSCI0002-1.JPG

DSCI0007-1.JPG

DSCI0011-1.JPG

DSCI0012-1.JPG

DSCI0002-1.JPG

DSCI0007-1.JPG

DSCI0011-1.JPG