smalljaw

Powder Paint Question - Flake Colors

Here is something that has bothered me for awhile now, when I apply clear powder with flake in it I don't get the finish I'm looking for. Example, when I spray it I get pretty much what I want, even coverage without over doing it. Sometimes though I want a black with a nice glitter effect and spraying doesn't work and a fluid bed is really bad, it comes out all glitter so do you do it or are you guys using a special paint? The other colors are just that, colors with flake added specifcally, copperhead. I love that color for a jig I make but it is hit and miss, I can't use the fluid bed as the glitter is too thick so the only way is to use a shallow bowl and give it a quick swish, sometimes it comes out perfect, other times I get more flake on one side than the other. So, am I missing something or does everyone sort of have this happen? Almost forgot, watermelon red flake is tough also, a great color but no consistancy from the paint whatsoever. So if any of you have some tips on how to apply this I'd be very thankful. Thanks everyone and Happy New Year.

Smalljaw, join the club, I have been very unhappy with the glitter in the powder paints. You are right it is hit and miss and majority of the times it's a miss. I too get too much glitter on one side and not enough on the other. So, this is what I decided to do. I have had for the longest time fine powder glitter called Herbie's Magic Dust. This glitter suspends more than the bigger glitter. I have been using that as it covers very well and evenly. However you do not get the really bold color of glitter. I actually like the subdued glitter effect. I have yet to find something that can be put on as a powder swished through and be done. There are some paints that have glitter efffect in them, also I believe that the illusion paints are like that. Finally I also believe that some crankbait guys spray their glitter on from an aerosol can. Don't know all of the colors available and if you have to put a topcoat on. I feel your need for something better, but I too haven't found it. I just deal with it and try my best. Sorry I'm of no help, but maybe others will have answers to our dilemma.

I have been fighting this problem for years, but feel I have finally come to a solution that I am happy with.

First of all, never buy the clear mixed with glitter from CSI. I did and found it to be way too heavy with glitter to the point that I could not get the powder to fluidize. It is useable by dilluting with clear gloss powder, just add till you get it the way you like.

I mix all my own color glitter with clear gloss powder from CSI. You have to experiment with how much glitter to put in, but go slow and you will get to the point where you are satisfied with the ratio. It appears when looking into the cup, that there is way too much glitter mixed in, so don't be too shy with it.

Getting even amounts of glitter over the entire jig is another experiment that you have to play with. Different baits will require that you swish them in the clear/glitter differently. Some may require that you just swish back and forth or right to left or circularly in the powder. As the bait enters the glitter, some powder is displaced by the body of the bait, this is what causes the bald spots, so you have to adjust for each bait to prevent the bald spot.

I have some jigs that I do that I have to dip in quickly, remove, wait just a second and dip quickly again and it comes out beautiful. That second you waited allowed the first dip coat begin to set and the second dip adheres great. Bear in mind, the amount of time your bait is submerged in the powder is critical, you want to get the right amount of glitter AND clear and not too much of either.

I use propane as a heat source. I know many of you use the heat gun. Whatever works best for you is just fine. I have noticed also when using clear/glitters that the hotter you can heat your bait, the more glitter will adhere when you dip the bait. It is a fine line between getting it right and messing it up. Once you get a rythm going there is no turning back and it will all be like riding a bike.

The important thing out of everything I have mentioned here is to KEEP EXPERIMENTING. It won't come by just doing a few, you must play around to get the ratios you are happy with.

Good Luck,

George

smalljaw,

I spray all my powders without coverage issues. The glitter is distributed evenly every time. In the rare instance that there is less glitter on a spot I simply heat it a little and spray that spot until it matches the rest of the bait. I use brown purple flake a lot. As you may have found that brown swallows glitter and it just doesn't show. In this case I started mixing my own. This just depends on how much you want to make and it will apply to most any solid color.

1 part main color (in this case brown)

4 parts clear gloss

flake to taste (.008)

This will give you an almost transparent brown that really shows the flake. You can darken the brown by adding coats. but the glitter will always be the same. Hope this helps.

Edited by Basseducer

smalljaw,

I spray all my powders without coverage issues. The glitter is distributed evenly every time. In the rare instance that there is less glitter on a spot I simply heat it a little and spray that spot until it matches the rest of the bait. I use brown purple flake a lot. As you may have found that brown swallows glitter and it just doesn't show. In this case I started mixing my own. This just depends on how much you want to make and it will apply to most any solid color.

1 part main color (in this case brown)

4 parts clear gloss

flake to taste (.008)

This will give you an almost transparent brown that really shows the flake. You can darken the brown by adding coats. but the glitter will always be the same. Hope this helps.

That is how I get even coverage with my flake but what I would like to do is have a pearl effect like black pearl for example, it is just a gloss black with fine glitter but the glitter doesn't stand out. The other part is with colors like copperhead and watermelon red flake, the only way I've fount o make these colors work is by using a shallow bowl, even spraying doesn't work as you don't get very much flake but if you put the stuff in a fluid bed you get all flake. I think I'm going to try the herbies magic dust and see how that works. Thanks for the help guys, it makes you feel better to know you are not alone!

smalljaw,

I seem to have the opposite problem with these paints. I recover 99% of the overspray and reuse it. As I keep spraying the paint gets consumed faster than the flake. Consequently I get a greater concentration of flake each time I recover. I called CS and asked if I could get just the paint without flake and they said NO.

Please indulge me. I have a question.

I have dipped jigs in powder coat for years, off and on.

Is the powder paint you guys are talking about the same stuff?

It is the same stuff Mark, they are just new colors in which they added flake to enhance the color but a lot of us use fluid beds and what happens is the air that keeps the paint fluidized is at the same time seperating the flake so when you dip your lure you get a whole lot of flake so the only way to really do it is just shake it and dip into a container or right out of the jar but even then it is hit and miss.

I really like Herbie's Magic Dust. Thanks to Ted again and again for priceless advices.

I just brush it on top of the main color/colors and it really makes a difference.

Below is the sample of green, red and gold dust glitter.

heads_glitter.jpg

PSV,

Everytime I see your work, I just love the quality, color and the care you take in making your spinnerbaits. Job well done. Advice goes out to all that ask of me on this forum, hopefully it helps some out, down the road.

BTW Smalljaw, I didn't want to hijack your thread.

I like a shallow bowl and i do not heat up the jighead to normal temperature. I heat it just enough so that the paint sticks to head. light covered spots I pinch some paint and smear it onto area. Take a finger and rub it onto head, then heat it up with gun. Makes good looking jigs. Even coated paint and flake.