sims7

Pvc Swim Bait

Thanks ! You think a brisol tail will work?

i don't know what a brisol tail is. i have used paint brush bristles, fibetts ( google "fibetts"), cast them with epoxy resin, carved them from pvc, levan, cut them out from old bait boxes, etc.

the fins here were made from a thin slice of pvc and then crimped with round nose pliers for the vein effect.

IMG_0281.JPG

IMG_0281.JPG

IMG_0281.JPG

IMG_0281.JPG

IMG_0281.JPG

IMG_0281.JPG

IMG_0281.JPG

IMG_0281.JPG

post-14416-0-86594600-1330438026_thumb.jpg

I typically make my swimbaits solid, from either AZEK trimboard for the floaters, or from the AZEK decking for the sinkers, since it is a little heavier.

For 6" floaters, my stock starts at 7/8", which is what's left after I remove the surfaces. I leave it that thick for cutting it out, and then shape it, tapering the lower 2/3rds from 7/8" down to 5/8" at the belly. It's not exact, but I want less of the buoyant material at the belly, so the bait doesn't roll on a fast retrieve.

For slow sink and fast sink, I may start with 3/4", tapering down to 1/2", so I have to add less ballast to get them to sink.

Try to keep whatever ballast you need to add in the head, or first two sections, and the rear hook hanger in the third section of a four piece lure. That way the tail is still buoyant, and will swim more freely. Plus it helps the bait to fall level, and sit on the bottom in an upright position.

Good luck.

For tail fins, I put a dab of epoxy on the inside portion of a plastic milk carton. I then add some fin material (I use DNA Fish Fiber from Cabelas). I then sandwich the fibers between another piece of milk carton, leaving the fin material sticking out. Make sure the epoxy penetrates through the thickness of the fin material. I can then carefully shape the fin material to my liking, and leave it to dry. I use 5 minute epoxy and allow it to sit for 30-60 minutes.

The epoxy will not stick to the carton material. After it is dry simply peal it off, and you have a fin. Both ends of the fin can be trimmed as needed to properly fit your bait. Hope this makes sense.

• Like 1

For tail fins, I put a dab of epoxy on the inside portion of a plastic milk carton. I then add some fin material (I use DNA Fish Fiber from Cabelas). I then sandwich the fibers between another piece of milk carton, leaving the fin material sticking out. Make sure the epoxy penetrates through the thickness of the fin material. I can then carefully shape the fin material to my liking, and leave it to dry. I use 5 minute epoxy and allow it to sit for 30-60 minutes.

The epoxy will not stick to the carton material. After it is dry simply peal it off, and you have a fin. Both ends of the fin can be trimmed as needed to properly fit your bait. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks Sammy, now one more thing to buy for the lure building obsession. LOL I will give this a try on the next one.

I cut my fins from Lexan and shape them on the sanding drum, I also sand a key on the whole surface of the fin. Next I mix up some 5 min epoxy with some soft plastic bait dye to color the fin, I coat the whole fin in the epoxy. When the epoxy begins to set I use a small hard bristle brush or even a toothpick to add in fin/bone texture. I then epoxy this to slots previously made in my swimbaits before giving a final total coat of epoxt to the body and fins.