YoungForge

Where To Buy Foil?

Hello all, I have never foiled a bait before and am now looking in to it, so I was wondering where I can buy some foil? Also as I have never foiled a bait before I was wondering if there is anything I need to know, or any tips. P.S. I am only painting the lure's back(like the original rapala)

If you can buy foil from a "dollar store" or one of those type retailers you'll find it's usually thinner than your typical name brand foil like renoylds which you'd find in a standard supermarket.... the thinness helps you lay it flat/smooth easier. The drawback is you have to be gentle as it will tear easier... but I still find it easier to use `as I'm trying to minimize wrinkles and the seem between halves.

J.

There are several options. The easiest is adhesive foil - no messing with glue, etc. Just peel and stick. The Venture Brite-bak foil designed for stained glass artists is the best I've found and can be gotten online from Sunshine Glass and other art supply vendors. It's thin, strong, and has a good adhesive. It conforms well to rounded baits and is thin enough to show most 3D features on plastic baits. You texture it with scale pattern after application on wood baits, as needed. The other 'peel & stick' option is aluminum HVAC tape from a home center. It is not as reflective and is much thicker than Brite-bak, which is a disadvantage since you will need to hide the foil edges on your bait.

There is also "transfer foil", which is a clear plastic film with holographic foil on one side. You glue the foil on the lure and then peel off the plastic backing to leave the holographic foil behind. This kind of foil works well on flat surfaces but I find it hard to use on round baits or baits with 3D features, such as many unpainted plastic baits. I'm trying some Stampee transfer holographic foil now. Jones Tones foil may be similar but I haven't tried it. Nova, this may be the "rub-on" foil you asked about - I don't really know.

Lastly, you can use gold leaf foil, which you glue down on the lure and brush off any loose particles. To say this option is a finicky way to get foil on a bait is an understatement but the foil comes in a variety of colors and I have seen some eye popping foil effects done with it.

Edited by BobP

Cheap and easy is Duct Tape metal foil. Put the metal side on the ratchet and rub with the pen. I want to get some of the Holographic foils, but would like to see them in person before ordering and I have not found any in the craft stores yet.

Needlefish_Foiled_1.jpg

Edited by archeryrob

I take advantage of my wife owning a snack vending business. Candy wrappers and chip bags are foil and it is the thinnest that I've ever seen. Also, it does not wrinkle easily. You can wad it up into a tight ball and it will release. Works great. Just make sure you clean the inside of the chip bag with alcolol, acetone, etc.

I take advantage of my wife owning a snack vending business. Candy wrappers and chip bags are foil and it is the thinnest that I've ever seen. Also, it does not wrinkle easily. You can wad it up into a tight ball and it will release. Works great. Just make sure you clean the inside of the chip bag with alcolol, acetone, etc.

Saltshaker, I'm going to have to try that. I've tried the cheap foil, the adhesive tape, and two sided gift wrap. One side gold, the other silver. No matter what I do I can't seem to get good seams and all the wrinkles. Even made a foil press and still not working for me. I'm almost convinced it is the Elmer's spray adhesive. Seems there is always a build up on one end or the other.

Going to the trash now to find that white cheddar popcorn bag I threw out last week.......LMAO! 8O

Saltshaker, I'm going to have to try that. I've tried the cheap foil, the adhesive tape, and two sided gift wrap. One side gold, the other silver. No matter what I do I can't seem to get good seams and all the wrinkles. Even made a foil press and still not working for me. I'm almost convinced it is the Elmer's spray adhesive. Seems there is always a build up on one end or the other.

Going to the trash now to find that white cheddar popcorn bag I threw out last week.......LMAO! 8O

I use the wrapper from Elmer's Chee-Weez. They are made in New Orleans, so, i get a few unused ones from time to time when my wife places her orders. The foil has a different texture than other chip and candy wrappers I've found. It is super thin.