basst

Plastisol Colourant

Hi everyone

I am writing all the way from South Africa. First of all, thank you all for all the info you share here on this site, i have learnt so much just from searching through all the forums.

I have been making dental plaster moulds and pouring my own worms for a few years now and due to the extreme lack of any lure making supplies in South Africa, i just melt and remelt old worms to make new ones.

I have recently started to expand my skill set and have began trying out the whole Swimbait Blade Dipping technique which has been thouroghly discussed here, again thanks for all the info.

What i was hoping to get some help with was colourant for Plastisol. I have managed to get some plastisol here in SA and the snag i have is the colouring or lack thereof. There are no local suppliers and to do orders to the United States works out very expensive for us because of exchange rate and shipping costs. Is there something i can use that will suffice for now untill i can put an order through. Will acrylic paint from an art shop work or is there something else i can use. I am not trying to go too fancy and for now all i am after is a white coloured swimbait.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys might have.

Rowan

Thanks, yes after re reading my post, and being not much of an art expert, i thought acrylic paint was an oil based paint. My mistake, definitely not going to add anything waterbased to melting plastic. Theoretically could an oil based scent also be added to mask the oil paint "smell"?

You should be able to find an oil based or powdered aniline dye, used in just about everything for color. A small amount goes a long way. That would be my option if the regular color was not available.

You will have to do a little research, to find what companies use it local and if there is a supplier. Color Glow of South Africa used aniline dye for their products.

Regards

Mark

I would suggest getting some of the new X2 color from Caney Creek. The stuff is wicked good...and you use less than half of normal ....If you chat with Jason I'm sure you could come up with a nice assortment of colors that would fit in a small box to minimize shipping costs.

Hi everyone

I am writing all the way from South Africa. First of all, thank you all for all the info you share here on this site, i have learnt so much just from searching through all the forums.

I have been making dental plaster moulds and pouring my own worms for a few years now and due to the extreme lack of any lure making supplies in South Africa, i just melt and remelt old worms to make new ones.

I have recently started to expand my skill set and have began trying out the whole Swimbait Blade Dipping technique which has been thouroghly discussed here, again thanks for all the info.

What i was hoping to get some help with was colourant for Plastisol. I have managed to get some plastisol here in SA and the snag i have is the colouring or lack thereof. There are no local suppliers and to do orders to the United States works out very expensive for us because of exchange rate and shipping costs. Is there something i can use that will suffice for now untill i can put an order through. Will acrylic paint from an art shop work or is there something else i can use. I am not trying to go too fancy and for now all i am after is a white coloured swimbait.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys might have.

Rowan

I haven't seen anyone post that you can use eye make-up from your wife's purse, but that would work great for you. Just add small amounts to your plastic before you heat it. It's not the cheapest colorant out there but for sure will make some great colors. Might upset the wife a bit? So have a good tarp on your boat to sleep in.

jeff@mf

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I haven't seen anyone post that you can use eye make-up from your wife's purse, but that would work great for you. Just add small amounts to your plastic before you heat it. It's not the cheapest colorant out there but for sure will make some great colors. Might upset the wife a bit? So have a good tarp on your boat to sleep in.

jeff@mf

Baits that look like your wife. "But honey I was thinking of you when I made these baits". Forget it Get the tarp ready. Frank

• Like 1

That's a brilliant idea, risky, but i like it! I got the email notification of this post early thanks to our time delay and have already mounted a pre dawn clandestine mission into said purse and found some nice colours for making pearl white baits. Thanks guys. All things going well we may pull it off without being caught!

That's a brilliant idea, risky, but i like it! I got the email notification of this post early thanks to our time delay and have already mounted a pre dawn clandestine mission into said purse and found some nice colours for making pearl white baits. Thanks guys. All things going well we may pull it off without being caught!

Did you find a nice blue or green?

Yes, i did find some good colours in the "war chest". Was looking for a pearl white colour and found that. It has done the job well. I also came right with a local supplier that sent me liters of plastic colouring for free as a sample. He has been a godsend.

Hi could you please tell me where in Durban South Africa can i buy some plastisol ? They are ridiculously expensive and would prefer to make my own>Much appreciated 

Regards 

Wayne GT

Hi Wayne,

There is a local South Africa plastisol supplier now. They opened their business about a month ago and they also supply the colourant and glitter and also some basic molds. Have a look at www.tugbait.co.za. They are based in Pretoria, but can courier the stuff you require.

On 11/8/2021 at 4:11 PM, MrMoon said:

Salam everyone, use crayons it's cheaper and look fine

Already try it 

Anyone ever use the Rock Island brand blades? Are they any good? Or I need go to dissertation writing help at online service? I need writing work in time!

Idea from this nice person

Enjoy

not bad idea! great video, thanks!

Edited by keeranadams