MuskyGary

Do-it Molds

Does anyone know when do-it comes out with their new molds for the year? Or how do you contact them about a idea you have? I am altering Ultra Minnow Molds to take a crane sweivel on the bottom of the head; like a roadrunner. If they came out with a mold like this it would be a top seller!

Do-it is coming out with some new molds that will use Trokar hooks specifically and I don't thing they have an underspin in the line up. I agree, a swarming hornet type of underspin would be a big seller as other have modified the ultra minnow jig for the same purpose.

If I remember correctly, the new molds come out around late November and December, cause I always see new molds right after X-mas. It would definitelly be nice to see a Swarming Hornet copy.

Wow Smalljaw, I don't know about you but making a mold for a Trokar is a really big gamble in my eyes. Those hooks are so expensive, that even if you got an order for some baits using Trokars it would probably be a a very seldom used mold, unless Do-It would make a multi hook cavity. Like an Eagle Claw and and a Trokar, or a Mustad and a Trokar. That way if it were a unique mold it would benefit a lot of others who don't want to pay for a Trokar hook. Just my opinion.

If I remember correctly, the new molds come out around late November and December, cause I always see new molds right after X-mas. It would definitelly be nice to see a Swarming Hornet copy.

Wow Smalljaw, I don't know about you but making a mold for a Trokar is a really big gamble in my eyes. Those hooks are so expensive, that even if you got an order for some baits using Trokars it would probably be a a very seldom used mold, unless Do-It would make a multi hook cavity. Like an Eagle Claw and and a Trokar, or a Mustad and a Trokar. That way if it were a unique mold it would benefit a lot of others who don't want to pay for a Trokar hook. Just my opinion.

The molds and the baits made with them were debuted at ICAST, they are making a shaky head mold with a flat bottom (Ugghhh), a new spinnerbait and a few jigs and it was described as a collabaration between Do-it and Trokar as the molds will be made to specifically use the Trokar hooks which BTW are being made with exact specifications for the molds. Now, if they are going to use say a 60 degree hook will other hooks fit? If these new molds are going to only work with a specific Trokar then I know they won't get me to buy one, I only use a few premium hooks as I think they are over priced so to get a mold that only uses these hooks isn't going to happen.

The molds and the baits made with them were debuted at ICAST, they are making a shaky head mold with a flat bottom (Ugghhh).

If these new molds are going to only work with a specific Trokar then I know they won't get me to buy one, I only use a few premium hooks as I think they are over priced so to get a mold that only uses these hooks isn't going to happen.

I agree with you on the flat bottom jigs. Do-it and others stop making them because they don't work.

I'm with you also on this. I won't buy any of those molds either because for #1 You know they will charge more for the mold because it is fit specially for a Trokar hook and #2. No-one I know fishes Trokars as they are way overpriced. With that said since I sell jigs, I would have to charge guys to buy the mold so that I could pour jigs for them. Plus charge them for the hooks and the jig. This is a no win situation for me because no-one would pay for all of this, and I don't see a big demand in selling jigs with Trokars, when there are better alternatives.

What about speciality molds, such as Cabelas wobble head jig-- Cabelas is the only one who can sell it. Any chance someone might come out with a mold this way?

Musky Gary,

Everyone who tries to copy other designs and molds has to be careful so they don't infringe on any patents and so on. That is why all the molds you see that we pour are either very different or very basic. You will not see any spot remover molds, Eakin molds and so on. You have to be very careful on what you make and/or get the permission of the company to use and make their molds and their hooks.

I won't be buying any new mold from them . Why because I'm a cheap skate I will not pay the kind of money they want for those hooks or any of the other over priced hooks on the market . Secondly anything I own better be able to function with more than one hook style and be useful for as many species of fish as I can squeeze out of it . Versatility is the name of the game for me .

I won't be buying any new mold from them . Why because I'm a cheap skate I will not pay the kind of money they want for those hooks or any of the other over priced hooks on the market . Secondly anything I own better be able to function with more than one hook style and be useful for as many species of fish as I can squeeze out of it . Versatility is the name of the game for me .

Amen to that

I only have one word to say about this, "DREMEL"....................

Exactly! It's not hard to make a mold accommodate fatter shanked or bigger hooks, up to a point.

I would never use such a pricey hook, in the first place, but I lose so many jigs, since I fish them in rocky areas, that I would go broke using Trokar hooks in them.