Braided Line

Hooks... Do You Sharpen?

New or old. Single,triple, what ever. Do you sharpen or just assume there sharp enough?

Manufacturers go to great length to tout the sharpness,along with other

attributes of their hooks. That being said, do you just tie one on and let fly

(with some sort of lure of course.) or get your file or whatever you use and give it a lick ot two? Yes..........No.

I`m of the old school. If I think it`s sharp enough, which is very unusual for me, I don`t file. But truth be known, That is so rare, I always give my hook(S) a lick or two. Plus that eliminates any worry, what so ever, about me thinking,gee, I should have.

The second part is do you continue to check/sharpen your hook(s) through out your day on the water?

I do. Have found to many dull. some what bent, even broken over a days fishing not too.

Equipement (hooks) in good shape, can certainly help make a difference in the days final count. Of course, that is ......catch and release. Personal choice.

I don't sharpen them but I do check them through out the day.A few months back I was

fishing a jig and got hung up.A couple of quick snaps of the rod popped it loose and I continued to fish it.

After two missed fish I checked the lure and the hook was gone.I guess it broke off when it was pulled

loose from the snag.So always check your hooks ,especialy after a snag.

I am in Ben's camp. I never sharpened but have learned the hard way sharper hooks make a big difference. In fact I put a stone to the tip of every treble . Just takes a minute. Then test on the nail. if that baby does not stick to my nail like cooked spaghetti on the wall then I hit a another lick or two on the stone. you do not want a hook tip that slides on the nail. Surprisingly most factory hooks fail the nail test. Having a sharper tip will allow the hook to sink deeper and hold better when that fish bites. You only have a second to sink those bars in and a lifetime to tell stories. I want all my stories to end well.

It makes little sense to spend weeks planning, making and finally fishing that perfect homemade bait only to put dull hooks on her. Why not give yourself and if you sell or give away your baits your customers and friends the best chance to catch something with your bait? Your baits may not get a second chance.

Edited by littleriver

Get yourself some Eagle Claw 774. You won't need to sharpen those. One of my partners is constantly sharpening his hooks and when he gets misses on topwaters, I razz him about his hooks not being sharp enough....drives him absolutely wild!

If you zig when the fish is zagging it won't matter how sharp your hooks are.

s54

I used to religiously test the trebles before tying on a crankbait and often touched them up with a diamond hone. Most often these were VMC or Mustad trebles on factory baits. I didn't mind honing them but didn't like removing the anti-rust coating and then having to resharpen the hooks to remove rust every time I fished a bait. Nowadays, I usually change out the factory trebles for Gamakatsus and find they seldom become dull during fishing because they are tempered better. Maybe I'm getting a little lazy too, but hook sharpness seems to have receded as an issue since I started using premium hooks.

After a snag I always check out the lure's hooks whether they would require maintainance , both in terms of having bent open or having become blunt , always carrying some kinda grindstone in each of my tackle boxes , .......probably I should even use them more often :?.

Greetz , 61diemai :yay:

Edited by diemai

When I do re-sharpen my hooks I change the hook point to a chisel point the inside of the point ( barb side ) I flatten then angle the other sides into point making the hook point 3-sided and bring it all together to make a tacky sharp point. The reason for this is that I feel when I set the hook it goes in faster & makes a smaller hole the fish can't throw as easy as when the hook cuts a slot with other hook point shapes. Gammies are my favorites for upgrading