Hi All,

First off, thanks for all the great tips on this forum. I bought my first kit in 2007 and put it aways to collect dust until this summer. Nothing was more gratifying then catching my first fish on the baits I made. Recently I've been having a ton of luck pitching grass here in Western New York. This question might come off as a If its not broke why fix it but I have to ask.

Here is the recipe for the Bears Baits 4.25" Kodiak Craw

1 cup Calhoun Ultra soft 2000 plastic

1/4 cup pickling salt

color and glitter vary

1 teaspoon softener

5 drops garlic oil

I melt the plastic in a pyrex cup for 1 min, stir and then 1 more min

Add other ingredients

Melt for 35 seconds

I use Bears small injector

Suck up plastic and inject into hot mold that I cook in the oven before first pour at 200 degrees for about 5 mins.

Remove from mold and place in stainless bowl with ice water and garlic salt.

Put in refrigerator over night.

I then sometimes package them in Salt or Garlic salt. Making them a little more dry but not as dense.

Get addicted and repeat! :P

I think they feel like creepy crawlers, or something. I'll cut to the chase they don't feel like Reaction Innovation Sweet Beavers or Strike King Rodents. Rodents and Beavers seem to be heavier, more dense and dry feeling. I cut them up and salt oozes out of them. I melted them down and they seem to come out with the same texture and feel as my mix. Is there something to put on the mold while shooting the plastic that gives this texture/feel to the bait?

Thanks in advance and thanks for a great place to come to learn.

Charles

PS thanks to this forum I was able to pour my first 2 color baits this am! Thank You!

DSC_0337.jpg

DSC_0337.jpg

DSC_0337.jpg

DSC_0337.jpg

DSC_0337.jpg

DSC_0337.jpg

DSC_0337.jpg

DSC_0337.jpg

post-30831-0-43343800-1346953635_thumb.jpg

First off you should be using medium plastic.

Second there is absolutely no reason for adding salt unless you are throwing these weightless.

Why are you adding softener to soft plastic. That is why the baits are sticky.

You must have a very powerful microwave to heat up 1 cup in 2.5 minutes.

No reason to heat mold in summer, as after one bait, mold should be plenty warm.

So simplify things and yo will be fine. Baits look good though.

...Bill

Edited by MonteSS
  • Like 1

Bill,

Thanks a ton. I guess I never thought about a different strength plastic. I've just always poured soft. Lurecraft 536 and Lurecraft 500 came with the kit I purchased and I remember having a tough time with the 500. I did get a pretty nice pour when I would mix half and half though. When it came time to buying a gallon I simply went with Calhoun Super Soft, which works great for my drop shot worms. I will experiment with medium plastic, do you have a recommend? I really like the Calhoun compared to the Lurecraft. I've always added salt, just going by what I see in other creature baits, I like throwing them on a 1/8oz Texas rig, so the salt give me a little more weight for a little longer cast.

Thanks again for your help Bill, sometimes I get going so quick I stop to think of the little things.

I personally use Calhouns medium and really like it. A guy on this board sells it really cheap.

Baits with salt added tear easy and wont stretch as much. You are basically using my Senko formula which as we know are not known for durability.

I would use no salt and step up to a 3/16 weight if you need to.

You colors will pop better and wont be cloudy either.

GL...Bill

I agree a medium plastic will feel and inject easier. Just be aware that a tougher plastic "may" also need more hook setting power. I flip a lot of heavy cover (fragmata, bull rushes, mesquite trees, etc) and I hook up a lot better with an M-F medium (which is slightly softer than most production baits) than I do with a Beaver. I'm not reccomending M-F over any other plastic. Just offering that for informational purposes. I have the hook setting power at my disposal though. I flip with 50 or 65 lb braid, on a heavy or extra heavy power extra fast flipping stick. I use X-Point heavy duty or Gamakatsu Super line hooks, and I hit them on the hookset like I am trying to fling them over the boat.

I do not necessarily agree about the salt. For the most part I do, but I have experienced bites before where a salt bait definitely outfished an unsalted bait in a circumstance where I couldn't put my finger on any difference other than salt flavor. The bass just held onto the salt bait longer. Sometimes the little things make a difference, and sometimes you can catch bass on a rag and a hook.