Saugerman

604 Gamakatsu Jig Hooks

If you are already using a Gama 604 in your mold and are use to paying those prices,

an Owner 3/0 5319 is equivalent to a 5/0 Gama 604 since the 604's tend to run small for their size.

The Owner is super sharp and very corrosion resistant.

For personal use, I use Owners

Eagle claw

http://www.captainho...okid=929&view=1

If you take a gamakatsu 604 3/0 and a eagle claw 90° 3/0 JIG HOOK, NEEDLE POINT, PLATINUM BLACK it's tuff to tell them apart. I think eagle claw did a great job with these hooks. The are just as sharp as a gamakasu and have tuffer points. Mustad 32746 bln is a thinner wire.

Eagle claw

http://www.captainho...okid=929&view=1

If you take a gamakatsu 604 3/0 and a eagle claw 90° 3/0 JIG HOOK, NEEDLE POINT, PLATINUM BLACK it's tuff to tell them apart. I think eagle claw did a great job with these hooks. The are just as sharp as a gamakasu and have tuffer points. Mustad 32746 bln is a thinner wire.

Flippinfool, I'm sold on them, I use the 570BP, the 2798BP, the EL111BP, and soon it will be the L255BP and the 386BP. Mustad went to china and the hooks aren't the same, the ultra points on them either aren't tempered right of the wire is junk.

• Like 2

For a heavy wire less expensive alternative to the 604 I use Mustad 32833 BLN 2x hooks. The Mustads have a much shorter eye leg and Do-it molds need to be seriously modifed to fit them. Collared molds may not be amenable to simply enlarging the eye slot since vertical up-down play of the eye might result in off angle fit of the hook shank thru the collar. I mostly use the 32833s in no collar ball heads for tying which molds are more forgiving of off angle hook exit from the head. My molds are modified, but Do-its specific to the 32833 are available.

I recently received some jigs made with Dai-ichi jig hooks which were impressively stronger than light wire, similar to 604s. Don't use them myself, so can't comment further.

I'm glad you brought this up. Victory just recently released their 10604BN hook, which is comparable in size to the Gamakatsu 604.

Haven't used that particular hook, but my experience with other Victory hooks has been outstanding. I expect you'd find the same solid quality in the 10604BN.

Edited by The Jig Is Up

12 hours ago, Heretolearn said:

I am relatively new to making my own jigs and am looking for a replacement for the Gamakatsu 604 and was hoping that someone here could help/update the above.

Thanks in advance!

Yep, Victory 10604 or the VMC 7249. The Victory is a hair heavier while the VMC is the exact same size at least up to a 3/0. 

• Like 1