dtrs5kprs

hard bait cookbook

I guess this is the place for this post?!? I'm curious if anybody has a recipe for something along the lines of the Megabass version of sexy shad (it also comes in sexy French pearl, sexy ayu, etc. etc. ) I'm most interested in what looks like the old g-finish on a new lure...is that a pearl mica, translucent paint over holograph film, or fine glitter? Just how does Megabass put sexy on their shad cuz I'm stumped?

I have a jam up color I made this year and it is a bass killer. I call it Tangerine Special,

Spray the whole bait with pearl white or regular they both look good. Then I used Wicked Orange with about 5 drops of white in it. spray a scale on the upper half and solid in the top. Then put a sky blue line down the side. It is a bass killer.

to check out the pic of it go to THP Customs on facebook its good looking

Winter Craw!!

1. White Basecoat

2. Spray entire bait yellow

3. Add Candy Apple Red dots to the cheek areas

4. Spray the shoulders & belly red

5. Spray the black craw lines on each side

6. Spray the back black also

7. Dip a toothbrush into black paint & pull back on the bristles to get the splatter

8. Spray a light coat of High Lite Purple over the back only

9 Add eyes & clear, then place on drying wheel

Patrick

Edited by Big Bass Man

Hey guys, my name is Will, I'm new to the forum and could use some help with some color mixing. I'm trying to recreate the blue on the back of "Cellmate" baits.  I have been trying to mix with C-tex, trans br.blue, Iri. elec. blue, opaque sky blue and opaque blue. I can't seem to get the blue stripe on the top of the bait dark blue enough. The color on the bait seems to be some sort of a trans color. I've used combos of these blues with a little trans black or some pearl black to darken but I keep coming up a medium blue instead of a darker blue. The rest of the bait looks great then I screw it up with the wrong blue. Do I need to start with a different base blue? My Hobby Lobby has limited colors. Do you guys ever use the cheap paints from Wally World? If so, do these mix well with C-tex paints? If I was not supposed to mention name brand lures or their colors I apologize, I read the rules but did not see anything pertaining to this subject. Love this website and forums hope to more of a participant in the future, thanks for any help offered, AZ fisher

Sometimes it's hard to mix a color to match an existing bait. Sometimes this is because the paint scheme your looking at isn't a "true mix", but a layering of different colored transparent paints.

Something else you might try is to mix some transparent base into whatever mix is closest to your final color. By adding a little transparent base you will make the transparent paint even more transparent. This will allow you to "sneak up on" your final color by spraying multiple coats until you get to the color your looking for.

good luck,

Ben

Thanks for your replies and the helpful info. I think I made a little headway. I needed to start with blue pearl as a base. Still don't have the color like I want, but it's closer. I understand what you mean about layering trans. colors, looks like this color was created that way. I used to run a screen printing shop prior to color mixing software, had to mix inks by hand and eye, so I have a decent background with colors. This one has me scratching my head though. Thanks for your advice and what a great resource this forum is!

I've been looking at some of the paint topics on this page and find them to be of great use .So now I`m going to the next level and I`m going to ask if anyone has the recipes for a few other colors .If you can help thanks ,they are:

Homer

Classic Charteruse

Mountain Dew

Mellow Yellow

You guy`s seem to know alot of colors so please help me with this .

Thanks ,

Ken The Fin "Fishing is Fintastic"

Here's

Homer

1. White base

2. Chartreuse body

3. Mist body Iridescent green

4. Apply scale mesh

5. Apple green back and shoulders

6. Black backbone

7. Orange belly from throat to tail

Homer.png

Homer.png

Homer.png

Homer.png

Homer.png

Homer.png

Homer.png

Homer.png

post-46591-0-78223900-1422377337_thumb.png

Found this website that uses the CMYK format (Cyan,Magenta,Yellow and Black). Mixed up a rootbeer color using one of the goldenrod formulas then added a few drops of tangerine. Yeah, I know, wish there was just one rootbeer color we could mix instead of the many out there. http://www.color-chart.org/cmyk-color-chart.php

Found this website that uses the CMYK format (Cyan,Magenta,Yellow and Black). Mixed up a rootbeer color using one of the goldenrod formulas then added a few drops of tangerine. Yeah, I know, wish there was just one rootbeer color we could mix instead of the many out there. http://www.color-chart.org/cmyk-color-chart.php

Here's my recipe for my Sexy Shad HD

Spaz Stix High Gloss Black base

Spaz Stix Mirror Chrome

(about 4 coats then slight buff to take off chrome dust)

Createx Pearl Gold Gills

Createx Neon Orange Chin area

Createx transparent Marine Blue back with mesh, then coat the back alittle more to fill in for solid back bone area

Createx Yellow 60/40 mix for side line

Createx Transparent Black Shad dot

Add a nice coat of epoxy and your done!

Sorry about the pic not being the best,but my buddy ran off with it before I could get a better mug shot. Lol

20150702_183248.jpg

20150702_183300.jpg

20150702_183248.jpg

20150702_183300.jpg

20150702_183248.jpg

20150702_183300.jpg

20150702_183248.jpg

20150702_183300.jpg

20150702_183248.jpg

20150702_183300.jpg

20150702_183248.jpg

20150702_183300.jpg

20150702_183248.jpg

20150702_183300.jpg

20150702_183248.jpg

20150702_183300.jpg

post-47912-0-08895900-1436383810_thumb.jpg

post-47912-0-45387200-1436383834_thumb.jpg

A friend asked me to paint a lure just like the chartruese shad of a lucky craft pattern that is so popular.  I'm saying no problem that will be easy.  Now I have painted it 5 times and each time scrubbed the paint off because it did not turn out at all.  Anybody?  The bone has a blue to it and the back has a bluish brown to it.  When I use my bone mix which has yellow in the white, then try and get the blue to it, of course it wants to make it greenish instead.  Does anyone have this pattern down and could you get me back on track.

Barry

A friend asked me to paint a lure just like the chartruese shad of a lucky craft pattern that is so popular. I'm saying no problem that will be easy. Now I have painted it 5 times and each time scrubbed the paint off because it did not turn out at all. Anybody? The bone has a blue to it and the back has a bluish brown to it. When I use my bone mix which has yellow in the white, then try and get the blue to it, of course it wants to make it greenish instead. Does anyone have this pattern down and could you get me back on track.

Barry

Barry,here's something I've learned in the past experiences with this problem. Once you have the bone white set and your ready for the blue coat,spray either a light coat of transperent white on the areas for the blue or a really light coat of opaque white.. that should take care of that issue for you bud. I'd prefer a transperent white since any over spray won't show once the clear hits.

Hope this works for you man,looking forward to the pics

That sounds like a great idea. I haven't tried any pigment but remember some other conversation about it but I don't have any.  What source should I use for that?  By the way, I hadn't heard of Spaz Stix either but those baits of yours look great, including the blank looks to be great quality.

Barry

That sounds like a great idea. I haven't tried any pigment but remember some other conversation about it but I don't have any. What source should I use for that? By the way, I hadn't heard of Spaz Stix either but those baits of yours look great, including the blank looks to be great quality.

Barry

I ordered all my pearl pigments off ebay,some guy sells it for around $10 a bag,which will come with plenty to do a lot of baits.. Spaz Stix paint is awesome but must be sprayed in a vented room or outside,top notch airbrush paint,no thinning needed,spray out the bottle. And thanks for the compliment barry,patience and practice is all it takes,send me a message and I'll get you some info on the blanks I use.. or go to my Facebook,it's neo lures and we can chat more on there.. good luck bud Edited by NEO_LURES
  • Like 1