smalliebiggs

Hand Pouring Equipment Questions From A New Guy

Hello all!

I am looking to hand pour a work that I can no longer find in production.  Lure Craft is sending me several samples of worms so I can match my worm as close as possible to a mold.  In the meantime, I need to start gathering up all the other "stuff and things" that I will need, and have some questions.

I know the basic equipment for hand pour is a microwave and pyrex cup.  However, unless I buy a dedicated microwave for the garage, a microwave isnt practicle for me.

1.  Can I melt plastic on a hot plate or griddle and if so, what brand and model hot plate/griddle do you recommend?  I think I would prefer a griddle if there is one that will work.

2.  Any particular heating pouring pan recommended or is the one LC sells as good as any?

3.  What type/brand therometer?

4.  Any other equipment/tools (besides gloves and other safety equip) that you would recommend --both necessary equipment and "will make your life easier" equipment?

Thanks in advance for your responses.  I will continue to read prior posts in order to try and keep my newbie questions to a minimum but I am sure more questions will follow

1. You can buy a microwave for about the same price as a griddle or hot plate. I have a hot plate, just a cheap electric one

from Wal-Mart. It works fine. Don't try to heat your plastic up too fast on the plate, you'll end up scorching it. FYI a       

gas  burner will over heat your plastic.

2. All the small pans I own are over twenty years old. I would think the ones you're looking at would be fine.

3. I have a cheap one from Harbor Freight that works great.

4. Depending on what your pouring there's not a lot else you need. Make sure you order heat stablizer with your plastic. It will

save you money in the long run.

you definitely want a microwave, and dedicate it to plastic only.

i got an IR thermo off ebay for pretty cheap

wear safety glasses always. you dont want to wish you did after it happens.

make sure you have good ventilation, otherwise get a respirator

I'd recommend using a high temp silicone cup over a pyrex cup personally. I find it much easier to pour accurately, and there's no risk of having it explode. The cup itself gets a little hotter than the handle of a pyrex cup, so wear good gloves.

Speaking of gloves! 

I was pulling hot plastic from a heated pot with a BT injector and it "kicked back" splashing the hot plastic out.  I had on gloves, my heavy Duluth shop apron, respirator and safety glasses.

I had to strip off my gloves quickly but I was unhurt.  I haven't been doing this very long either but am darn glad I listened to these guys about the PPE. 

I must have gotten the tip clogged and created a vacuuum when I drew the injector rod.