omartinjordan

Pop Mold Help

If you mix it with too much water, POP can form a semi-powder, weak layer on top, as the finest material is carried up with the excess water.

Since the water is a catalyst, the majority of the POP will set hard anyway.

POP tends to be lumpy when you first mix it.

Try mixing it a little drier, like thick pancake batter, and then letting it sit for five minutes.  The water in the mix should make it more runny as the it penetrates all the little hidden lumps of dry POP.

You should probably try using an oven, set at 170, to dry your molds after the POP sets.  An hour at that temp should do the trick.  Don't got over 250 degrees, or the POP will turn back to powder.

Edited by mark poulson
  • Like 1

ive been making a lot of pop molds lately, mostly because its fun. heres what i do (might be a little intense for the casual pop molder)

figure out the area of your mold (length x width in inches) and then how thick you want your pop to be (usually about 3/4"). turn that into cubic inches (length x width x depth)

go to google and type in "XX cubic inches to cups" and it'll tell you how many cups you need to make that area.

ill usually then measure about that much in water. then start adding the pop in slowly until you can see it stop sinking.

since you're adding pop to the water, its going to give you a little bit more than you calculated for. this is perfect in my opinion because i like to wet sand the edges down with a small sanding sponge.

Reason i like to have my pop molds come out so accurate is so i can use the same machine bolts to hold em together and not have a ton of threads for the wingnuts, or too little thread. And you're also determining the strength of the pop when you make it a certain thickness.

ipt,

Does the volume of powdered POP change when you add water?

I was wondering because, if not I could just fill my mold box with dry POP, and then transfer that to a mixing cup, knowing I had the right amount mixed.

not sure on the direct relation of the 2, but i know that its about 2 parts POP to 1 part water, so i dont think that would work. ive been just adding pop to the water until it starts islanding on the top of the cup. havent had any issues with that strategy.

Edited by ipt

If you mix it with too much water, POP can form a semi-powder, weak layer on top, as the finest material is carried up with the excess water.

Since the water is a catalyst, the majority of the POP will set hard anyway.

POP tends to be lumpy when you first mix it.

Try mixing it a little drier, like thick pancake batter, and then letting it sit for five minutes.  The water in the mix should make it more runny as the it penetrates all the little hidden lumps of dry POP.

You should probably try using an oven, set at 170, to dry your molds after the POP sets.  An hour at that temp should do the trick.  Don't got over 250 degrees, or the POP will turn back to powder.

I am making a 2 part pop mold.  I really don't want to take the sample plastic baits out of the mold.  Can I still bake the mold to help dry it out or will that be too hot for the plastic?  My last one seems to have set up better but I want it dry completely before I do the second half.