Senkosam

Pop Surface Coat?

Frank, I have used both epoxy and glue. I like the glue/water because it's so quick. Holds up well and works ok.

I prefer the epoxy if I have the time.(takes a couple of coats thinned down of course) It gives a more glossy finish to the bait. It also holds up better in the mold. I have some that are 20+ years old and still good.

Don't go fancy $ stuff. I use 5 minute epoxy from the dollar store and white glue from there as well. You don't have to spend a lot if you don't want to.

Like I said; I use whatever the dollar store sells. It comes in a double barrel syringe. The first mixture I use is quite diluted with alcohol and I use this as a penetrating sealer. The next coat is a little thicker but not so thick as to hide any fine details.

I don't use any measurements to do this; I just eyeball it. I've done it so much over the years it's just second nature.

You have to let the epoxy set up between coats; although the second coat can be applied quite soon after the penetrating coat.

I found that you will get a better finish if you apply thinner coats rather than a couple thicker coats.

I also coat the top of the POP surface with any epoxy leftovers so that thse areas get protection from nicks and dings.

Whatever you wind up using, thin it so it will soak in on the first and second coats.  Otherwise you lose too much detail.

Once I've let the first coat sit for a minute, I drain my mold by tipping it up to vertical, and then use an air hose to blow out the excess.  

Pay attention so nothing fills the details, and you'll be happy later.

Thanks loads! 

I'm getting ready to pour a two part injection mold for the first time and want the surfaces to be protected like they were with Valspar. Too bad they don't make the gloss coat anymore. Come to think of it, it is like glue, can be thinned with water and has the same milky appearance.

Thanks again.

Just remember the purpose of sealing the POP is twofold.

First, to make the material harder and stronger, so the hot plastic doesn't affect it.

Second, to seal all the tiny air pockets that are left in the POP, so the plastic doesn't wind up with a million little bubbles of air from the POP.

A smooth, glossy finish is just cosmetic.

You an use alot of things to seal the POP.... aside from the methods above (that work very well BTW)... I've also used the waterbased DN.... I liked that it was very watery and I could soak the mold with it then just turn it over and "drain" the excess out... gave a real nice shine to the poured baits.

Also... when using Elmers.... if you wind up with a glob - spot - or some issue after first draining the mold (before the Elmers really sets).... I've run my molds under water and just wash the Elmers off with help from a small brush.... gives you a chance to "redo" the coating which is great.... nothing worse than ruining a mold when coating it.  Some of the other methods aren't as "erasable" so to speak.

J.