BrownPigs

Building Custom Rattles

for my crankbaits, I cut a section from an aluminum can, roll it up, snip and fold the ends. I usually put bb's (that I rob from my kids air rifle) inside, or ss ball bearings. I have also used the aluminum tubing from an old air conditioner, copper tubing, and arrow shafts. Maybe this  will get you started in the right direction.

I use brass tubing to line soft woods like balsa. Other than this, a good clean hole with some kinda sheet metal end caps set into a counter-bore will create a chamber for any type of chrome, stainless, plastic or lead balls. The basic idea is simple, and the infinite number of ways to use it for weight transfer and sound makes it an endless pursuit. I always record what I do and use Archimedes displacement rule to guide me along. How much and where is THE most important thing with rattle chambers.

I show a balsa topwater in process on the gallery.

M

I reload a lot of ammo and have been using 9mm cases filled 1/3 up with lead shot and have had mixed success... Some of my baits sound like a maraca being shaken (maybe would be great for catching Spanish macarel??) and some hardly make any noise at all.... Not sure why this is.. Possibly variations in balsa density muffling (or enhancing) the ratlle? On bigger baits I'll use .45 ACP casings and these have been fairly foolproof, but to a guy like me who is fairly talented at being a fool NOTHING is foolproof!!

I noticed the same thing with bullet casings. maybe the thickness of the base is too much. Ever notice how Rapala doesn't even hide the ends of their cross rattles?

I typically use .005-.01 thick end caps, and cover them with D2T. Lots of rigidity, and the balls hit the caps with a crisp sounding clack. I never use more than one ball per chamber. I want that distance between end caps. When I used shot or multiple balls, the sound level went way down. Making the end caps is a PITA w/out a proper gasket/hole punch. ....Ebay..Kermett uses this construction method. Money..

I've tried a few different ways of adding rattles to baits. Wasn't really happy with any of them until I started building rattle chambers out of aluminum arrow shafts. The grade of aluminum used for arrow shafts is fairly hard and therefore resonates well. It has a nice sharp, crisp sound to it when steel balls are used for the rattles. I use Dieters method of cutting tabs and folding them over the ends to form the rattle chamber. Heat is required to make the fold as this grade of aluminum is too hard to make the fold without breaking the tab unless heat is used. The way I get the most noise out of the rattle chamber is to make it long enough that a thin coat of epoxy will just barely cover the ends.

Ben

I've tried a few different ways of adding rattles to baits. Wasn't really happy with any of them until I started building rattle chambers out of aluminum arrow shafts. The grade of aluminum used for arrow shafts is fairly hard and therefore resonates well. It has a nice sharp, crisp sound to it when steel balls are used for the rattles. I use Dieters method of cutting tabs and folding them over the ends to form the rattle chamber. Heat is required to make the fold as this grade of aluminum is too hard to make the fold without breaking the tab unless heat is used. The way I get the most noise out of the rattle chamber is to make it long enough that a thin coat of epoxy will just barely cover the ends.

Ben

Thanx Ben. Gonna try that. "Sounds" like a good shortcut to counterbores and endcaps.