Mad Moose Baits

Gst International Lacquer Based Concrete Sealer As A Topcoat

I do a lot of jigs from 1/100 to 6 OZ . I had to find a cheap clear coat that could stand impact . Been using concrete sealer some time now . Didn't say anything cause I wanted to see what everybody thought when this post came up . Serves my purposes just fine . But then i don't do crank baits . I HATE CRANK Baits . Sorry to you crank lovers .

A-Mac,

How did the tourney go?... and did the top coat hold up?....Nathan

Our top 6 team took 3rd (out of 27), so we pocketed  some cash.  I had 2nd big bass @ 5.8lbs.  I threw my mad walker topwater and my wakebait lures during practice in the morning.  No hits on either, but the clear coats still are flawless with no hook rash.  I didn't throw any cranks, the fish were very sluggish with the 90F water temperature so I stuck with finesse plastics tourney day.  I can't wait for the autumn bite!

Sorry guy's I fell asleep at the wheel . The concrete sealer I've used was both epoxy based and poly based . It never made much difference to me which I used . You better let it dry a good while between coats and before you fish it . Careful what you put it on . If it is a water base paint . sometimes it will give a crackle effect with cheap paint like Testors . As far a reccomending it as a useful product for lures you put a lot of effort into I can't . Most of the lures I put it on were dispossible . Jig's , slabs , stuff you most likely aren't going to keep under glass . Also I didn't set out to use it . Just had it left over from a project I planned . Had one of those wonder if things hit me . The poly base will look like milk in a glass jar and when you put it on a lure . But as it dries will clear. Surprisingly . Over time it will yellow at least it will on a concrete figure standing in the yard . Use infra red lamps to heat it to a cure on either one . Get it to hot and it will bubble some . Still going to take a while to set . Sorry Can't be of much help . I never really nit picked it . If I intend to keep a lure I'll use Klass Kote or an automotive coat that a Guy at O'Rielly's fixes me up with .

Just an fyi, make sure your paint has dried thoroughly with eagle supreme.  On a couple lures I painted up over about a week and a half ago, the clear has become sticky... to the point that I don't think the lures will ever cure.  On the lures that were sufficiently dried (I let dry for at least 24hrs after heat setting) the coating is fine.

Thanks for the heads up Toadfrog. How are you doing with the brace you made for the arm with the pulled tendons? Hope you heal up soon. Won't be long until that fall bite takes place.

Ben

This arm thing sucks . The brace system works great can't go without it to do anything . 5 or so days since I did it and the forearm and hand still swell if I do much of anything . I think fall bite may pass me by this time . I for sure can't crank a reel . Typing gets to me after 15 minutes or so .

This arm thing sucks . The brace system works great can't go without it to do anything . 5 or so days since I did it and the forearm and hand still swell if I do much of anything . I think fall bite may pass me by this time . I for sure can't crank a reel . Typing gets to me after 15 minutes or so .

I think maybe you need to cut back on the arm wrestling, or move back down from 16 to 12oz cans, at least until you heal.  Hahaha

Seriously, it sucks that we don't heal as fast as we get older.  I know there's a whole list of things I don't do anymore, because my body won't let me.  Grrrr!!!!

Just a curious question. Has anyone tried painting over it yet? Using water based paints. Wheels are turning but do not have time right now to try it. Thanks

I just redid an old poe's. I sanded it down to the wood then dipped it twice letting it dry good between coats, then I sanded it with 1000 grit. Then I painted it then dipped it four times drying good between coats. It turned out great.

I just redid an old poe's. I sanded it down to the wood then dipped it twice letting it dry good between coats, then I sanded it with 1000 grit. Then I painted it then dipped it four times drying good between coats. It turned out great.

attachment=8097:412.jpg]

This is the only pic. it would let me upload, but thats what it looked like when I was done. There is no yellow in the crank. It is green where it looks yellow, it is the lighting that is causing the yellow effect.

412.jpg

412.jpg

412.jpg

412.jpg

412.jpg

412.jpg

412.jpg

412.jpg

post-39501-0-15996400-1379386103_thumb.jpg

Edited by rhersh

attachment=8097:412.jpg]

This is the only pic. it would let me upload, but thats what it looked like when I was done. There is no yellow in the crank. It is green where it looks yellow, it is the lighting that is causing the yellow effect.

The lure looks excellent.  Is this the eagle supreme?  I've still had good luck with mine.  The only issue I've had, of course, is a lure I rushed (and didn't let the paint thoroughly dry).  That one is still tacky to the touch.  

The lure looks excellent.  Is this the eagle supreme?  I've still had good luck with mine.  The only issue I've had, of course, is a lure I rushed (and didn't let the paint thoroughly dry).  That one is still tacky to the touch.  

Thanks A-Mac! It is the GST that I used, I did notice that while I worked on this one it seemed to dry better since I had a fan running indirectly on it the whole time. I work on these in my garage so it has been quite warm and it seemed like the extra air movement helped it dry better, or maybe I just forced myself to use a little more patience this time. lol