ArdentAngler

What Is Your Thru Wire Made Of?

I got my supply of polycarbonate sheets at Tap Plastics.  If you have one nearby you might want to check it out.  The one near me sells miscellaneous pieces out of a bin by the pound.  I got three different sizes of scrap chunks about 1' square very resonable.  I think it was 2$ a pound.  Fair amount I got to play with for less than 5 bucks.

Harbor freight has .041 ss wire!

Was wondering how this .041 wire size is compared to 19 gauge. I currently use this 19 gauge I get at Ace Hardware but would like to get something just a shade smaller. I have a Harbor Freight in the next town over from me and was thinking of driving there.

John

Was wondering how this .041 wire size is compared to 19 gauge. I currently use this 19 gauge I get at Ace Hardware but would like to get something just a shade smaller. I have a Harbor Freight in the next town over from me and was thinking of driving there.

John

19 guage is is real close to .041, 19 guage is smaller than .041 .041 is about 18 guage, to be exact, 18 guage is .0403 inch...while 19 guage is .0359 inch

Any recommendation on brand for ss wire you guys use?

I'm looking to narrow my options down and stick with some tried and true stuff. Specifically looking for 0.9mm diameter, I would love to make a couple baits using some brass wire as well. The only thing with brass is it may pose problems with tuning if it gets hung up on something or just heavy use in general.

Any recommendation on brand for ss wire you guys use?

I'm looking to narrow my options down and stick with some tried and true stuff. Specifically looking for 0.9mm diameter, I would love to make a couple baits using some brass wire as well. The only thing with brass is it may pose problems with tuning if it gets hung up on something or just heavy use in general.

Might be looking for such :

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l2632.R2.TR4.TRC1.A0.H0.Xstainless+welding+wire&_nkw=stainless+welding+wire&_sacat=11804&_from=R40

It is softer and bends easier compared to stainlees welding wire rods , as it ist designed to be spooled down for MIG welding , ...but for smaller lures up to 2 " length I consider it to be OK .

A 2 lbs spool should almost last you a lifetime .

A this MIG wire already is a bit too soft for my own liking(usually I don't make micro lures) , I guess , that brass would be still softer than that(personally I'd keep my hands off brass) , .....but nevertheless I have one spool 0,8 mm dia.of such welding wire down the shop , most likely using it to wrap spacer coils for spinners or wire eyes for homemade bobbers and floats .

Greetz , Dieter :yay:

If you don't want a spool of Stainless Steel then just get a one pound box of R308L Stainless Steal TIG Rods comes in various sizes of your choosing from about .9mil to almost 2mil every welding company makes it so I guess brand doesn't really matter just pick a size and shop around til you find it the cheapest. Also don't forget if you find it on the big box stores you can ship to the store for free most of the time.

Never used brass and don't plan on it either. Can't see it as being a good material for lure making.  Your split rings would probably fatigue the hook hangers especially if they're ss.

.041 should be sufficient in terms of wire.  You could get some of the soft tempered stainless available at most luremaking supply companies and it may be available in 12'' shafts.

s56

Stay away from galvanized, it will eventually rust and will be too springy to work with.

You need to look for Soft Stainless Steel (sst). Probably a lot more available than you might think. If you find a coil of wire in a store, bend the end of the wire when the storekeeper is not looking. The wire should bend easily and NOT spring back.

DAve

Soft temper stainless usually comes on a spool.  It's soft and pliable enough to easily straighten it.  There are various tempers of wire available.  The ss wire you buy from a lure store to form spinners, etc, it very hard tempered.  An intermediate temper might be something like Malin Hard Wire ss leader material, which is fairly stiff but can still be bent by hand.

If you are doing a variety of bait styles and are not going to use a bending form, do yourself a favor and use soft temper stainless.  Not only does it bend easily, just as importantly you can bend it accurately when forming a thru-wire or hand-wound screw eyes.  I've never had .041 or .032 soft ss wire deform on a hook hanger or line tie on a bass bait.  When bent into a small diameter circle it is surprisingly strong.  I have also used soft brass wire, which is a little softer than stainless steel.  Copper wire is similar but will corrode.

The soft ss wire shafts I bought were annealed.  Some sites that carry ss wire don't mention if it's annealed material they're selling.  I may be wrong here but because of this annealing process I would believe it to be even stronger and of better quality than regular stainless steel wire especially in smaller diameters.  

@BobP

How did you like working with brass wire?

Thanks

s56

Remember that wire stiffness, apart from the line tie, isn't an issue.  Your fishing line will break before you can deform soft .041 sst wire, and even your line tie won't deform unless you really try and horse a big fish.

If you make two piece baits with halves that you glue together with epoxy, the epoxy/wire sandwich in the center make a steel-reinforced section that is really strong and rigid.

The only place I would use a stiffer rod is if I were making a through-wire prop-type bait or a two piece spinner, like the Whopper Plopper, where the wire projects far enough out of the bait to give some bending leverage.

I have only used coiled wire and not ever had any problems with it. After forming, either by hand or using jigs, the forms are rarely straight. A couple of tweaks with pliers, a tap with a center punch to tidy the hole shape, and they are perfect. I don't imagine using straight wire would be any different.

I have done some work with brass, when the SS steel wire just didn't look thick enough. Both are just as easy as each other to work with.

Note - both brass and SS steel wires work harden when being formed. This is a good thing, as the action of forming the loop, actually stiffens up the loop at the same time.

Dave

Thank you again for the sound feedback, guess I shouldn't stress it too much?

I am trying to ensure that everything is suited to building and that the only errors will come from me, not the hardware. If its possible, reducing the amount of variables should give me a true running bait and less time banging my head against the wall in frustration. I'm trying to get my process down pat which is easier said than done, right? Basically learn from others mistakes and tailor their process of making lures to suit me.