Badmo

Custom Mold For Lead

I moved this post from hard baits to here......Need some help....I need a cnc custom mold for a lead sinker type (do-it mold style) that I can pour.The mold would be for an inline trolling fish weight sinker....the body would be in a custom shape of a fish and I need for it to have three line ties (one on top toward the front, one on bottom, and one on the back end). I would also need them in 5 sizes...1/2 oz, 3/4 oz., 1oz, 2oz, and 3 oz. If anyone can refer me a name or company willing to take this on... I would much appreciate it.

Have you contacted Shawn Collins?

I haven't had him make a custom mold for me but he has made several of his stock molds for me and they are first class.

His reputation has been dubious in the past but lately he has made some molds for me in a quick manner and I was very happy with his customer service and the time it took to get the molds to me.

Thanks much for the replies guys....I sent Collins a couple emails after seeing his work on ebay, but got no replies so I assumed he wasn't interested. I also contacted several "sinker companies" to see if they were interested.....no takers. Chinese manufacturers make a lot of this style of lead bait called "lead fish"....was hoping a small company here would be interested in the business before looking elsewhere.... no such luck yet...I will shoot an email to highrock molds and see if they are interested....thanks andy1976.

I sent Shawn an Email the other day regarding some molds we had been discussing previously.

Got a response within 3 days.

Has he contacted you yet?

I don't know why other people have so much trouble with contacting him as I have never had any issues with it. And I live in Alaska so I couldn't get much further away from him and still live in the US.

I sent Shawn an Email the other day regarding some molds we had been discussing previously.

Got a response within 3 days.

Has he contacted you yet?

I don't know why other people have so much trouble with contacting him as I have never had any issues with it. And I live in Alaska so I couldn't get much further away from him and still live in the US.

This is why he went to ebay, some guys have no problems others paid him and didn't hear from him for 2 years, he is like that. As far as what you are asking for, do you have the cad work done or is this just a vision in your head, the reason I ask, which may be the reason you aren't hearing back, is because what you are asking for, with the design is going to run about 3K, seriously. What you want is complicated and will take a lot of time in the design and the mold makers you contacted probably figured it will cost too much for you to go through with it. How much are you willing to spend?

Actually it depends on the level of detail, but I don't see any reason that it should cost more than $500 for the first cavity and $100-200 per cavity for the different sizes.  He would have to decide what size eyelets or if he is going to bend a wire form, and then what size eyeballs for each size weight.  If using a wire form then the wire diameter he wants to use.  Of course he could drive the cost up with a high level of detail like side fins, rays, and a scale pattern. but I think a lot of that would be lost after you paint and clear coat or powder coat so it would be of minimal benefit to the final weight.   Of course you never know for sure until yopu get into it.  Unless he has some very particular dimensions and proportions I don't see why the CAD would be all that complicated. 

Edited by Bob La Londe