Griffond

In The Fall Bigger Is Better

So I am kinda new to the area I live in at the moment and the main area of fishing is the Mississippi River in central Minnesota... and since I don't have my boat here it has all been done from shore. Now there have been plenty of people telling me there are walleyes to be had in the river even from shore but I had yet to catch one. I tried jigging with a minnow, I tried bottom fishing with minnows, crawlers, dead smelt... still no walleye... lots of bass... no walleye... so yesterday since the weather was cold and overcast I went to the dam on the deep side and just started chucking every crankbait I had in the box... started small and worked up to the biggest I had which is the largest Shad Rap Rapala makes for very deep fishing... and finally on the good old blue and silver color... I got a small one... which made a great dinner for me... but that reminded me... in the fall fish are feeding for winter and putting on fat... so they generally won't bother with the small stuff because its to much work for the small amount of food... that is why the big crank got the fish and why other people also caught fish on big Husky Jerk style lures and large spinners... in the fall Bigger is Better... 

100_2068.JPG