Griffond

Creek Chubs?

So I was down at the Mississippi river yesterday for a fun day of just fishing my brains out caught tons of bass and some really nice ones... I noticed along the dam wall under water there were tons of creek chubs I tried some last little bit of crawler I had and nothing and I even made a quick 2 liter pop bottle trap (since the bottle was in the car) baited it with some crawler... .nothing... I did finally get one to smack a the absolute smallest jig I had in my box took for ever but it finally did... which I then in turn put it on a bigger hook and caught this...  Just shy of a 4lbs smally on it... biggest I've caught out of the Mississippi... my question is does anyone have advice on catching these chubs... either on rod or in a minnow trap... bait for traps etc... thanks in advance guys. 

100_2083.JPG

Can't do the Sabiki rig here DNR wouldn't like that much lol and I tried some bread I had with a even a little corn and a baby chunk of crawler... no takers... but the one... it was strange there was a whole school of them hanging around the dam wall in the calm part and there were some really big ones in there as well... but no body was biting... I was tempted to go get a minnow trap and try some wet and dry cat food to see if that would do the job.  You can watch the walleyes come up in the evening to feed on these things so I know they would make great bait once the sun set for some big eyes... 

When I was a kid growing up in MN we used small hooks and pieces of worms all the time. Did real well on chubs.

I also ran a minnow trap or two and it did well also. My dad gave me my bait idea. I would grab a handful of oatmeal and get it wet. Squeeze out all the water so you have a tightly packed wad of oatmeal.

bait your trap with this bait and I always caught plenty of creek chubs,shiners and red belly dace.

The oatmeal would slowly separate from the wad and float around in the trap attracting the minnows.

Now that I'll give a try to I am going to go pick up a minnow trap tomorrow at fleet farm since tomorrow is payday! lol I would just make one put that sounds like allot of time right now. I have never dealt with chubs in anyway shape or form and I have lived in this state all my life... and allot of guys around town that are older keep saying there is no better bait in the river... well I can see why the walleyes come up to shore at night and just go nuts for them while the smallies during the day hours go nuts for them... seems to be the predominate minnow in the river... 

@griffond

Here it is shad that run along the dam walls. I have seen folks catch them using a square wire basket. Basically they were the shape of a square milk carton , The used ropes tied to where the handles would be on a carton. Then they were lowered into the water with one edge resting against the concrete wall. As the shad would make their way along the wall they would pull the basket up very quickly trapping the bait. A weighted plastic milk carton lined with screen matt may produce the same result; provided it is legal.