Mr.Nsmith

A Toy When You Were Young Into A Lure?

So, as you may ask, "a toy from my childhood turned into a lure?", and I say, "h*** yes." Now you're just plain confused. Now you're thinking what can it be.... remember that yellow colored critter with a orange bill, yep that's right that rubber duck in the tub. After looking endlessly for a search of revolutionizing lure that no bass in the grass have seen before....why not a duck? There's endless amount of frogs and now birds at TWH, but no ducks and guess what. There are hard bait "duck" imitators but they're in you're old tackle collection, am I right? So, why can't I just add a 4/0 lead weighted, double hook on Mr.Duckie to catch some bass? So, the adventure to find a way to have a casting duck with proper movement has began. You may say this is crazy, but when it's tournament time: your money and mostly marriage is on 80lb braided line....when any advantage is needed...throw a duck, instead. Possibly coming to a store near you..."Quack!"

Interesting Challange!

I've made a cork mousie that caught bass and pike.  But baby ducks looks hard. Hmmm.

I had a problem with good mousie imitating legs that swam. How would you make baby duck swimming legs? In the real world, they are bigger, stronger and paddle in water compared to little mousie legs which dog paddle.

I matched a mousie's tail by gluing on a piece of cut chamois. I mimiced mousie's legs with spun hackle and fitted whiskers by gluing elk hair face drilled holes.

Baby ducks have a stubby tail. Would your ducky have one?

And ducks have two wings that sometimes get into the water. Would your ducky have wings? If so how would you attach them to mnimize wind resistance?

Thanks.

John

I would guess some sort of Paddles like a paddle wheel steamboat on each side would simulate a swimming duckling and add some attracting splash.

My dads cousin built one years ago and had great success with it on large pike.

I never saw the lure just heard the stories of it's success. No pics either.

Good Luck

@Tman69671: Good job man! Very nice ducky! Look's a lot like the old Heddon Cree Duck lure...

@Kasilofchrisn: Is it the Heddon Cree Duck??

@ the Rest of TU members: What I was proposing was the hollow belly rubber frog/mouse kind of design with a weighted hook going thru the duck, and the barbs of the hooks sits in the grove of the back side of the duck. Much more weedless design than a treble hook and spinners underneath the belly. I know Optimum and Teckel USA makes a frog with a Colorado blade underneath their HB frogs: unique designs for both companies. I'm still working on how to approach the incision to fit the hook and weighted hook into the hollow belly ducks, hopefully, I can get something to work.. Keep on Fishin'