Mr.Nsmith

Hook Hangers Reversed

:? so I kept having the problem with tangling hooks on a hardbait which everybody has had before, right? And changing split ring with smaller ones or change hook size/ brand can be difficult. So, what I had figured out is that you need to remove the split ring and hook as one whole system, and then add a large split ring (from a key chain) into the hook hanger in which using the flat-ish side of the split ring to twist the split ring to horizontal/vertical position. Then of course put back the split ring and hook onto the hook hanger and hopefully this will deal with the entangling hooks.

That is an interesting idea.  I would worry that bending the hook hanger wire like that might weaken it, but maybe I'm worried about nothing.

I turn the belly hook hanger on the cranks I build so they are oriented cross-ways to the lure's front-to-back axis, which let's me hang the trebles with two hooks straddling the belly.  That cuts down on hook rash, so I don't need to T my trebles.

If I put my tail hook hangers in oriented horizontally, I can turn my trebles so the single hook is up during the retrieve, which seems to cut down on snags, too.