FishnFreak

M-F For Hand Poured Swimbaits

Have seen a lot of good things said from people who pour and shoot MF soft and medium plastics for a variety of baits. I'm a hand pour fanatic mainly doing line through and weedless swimbaits. For this I usually use Caney Creek's Hard formula but am considering trying out M-F. 

Can anyone tell me how MF compares to Caney Creek? Also - what formula from MF is a harder blend for swimbaits?

MF is good I'm using it now . Just get some hardner and add it to your plastic to suit your taste .Medium MF works for most of my baits from crappie to bass .If I want something softer or harder I just put in additives. I don't compair products because it can lead to fussing and it is sort of one of those things that fits a personal preference .

MF is good I'm using it now . Just get some hardner and add it to your plastic to suit your taste .Medium MF works for most of my baits from crappie to bass .If I want something softer or harder I just put in additives. I don't compair products because it can lead to fussing and it is sort of one of those things that fits a personal preference .

Toad -

Totally get not wanting to compare and start a war (LOL!!!).... but can you tell us what aspects you like about MF particularly... (ex. no bubbles in micro?  Doesn't yellow on clears easily? Pours at low temps? Cost? Whatever?)  Being a hobby guy I just don't go through enough stuff to buy gallons and try a bunch of different brands... I'm on my third brand but always looking for something that will be a bit better as with each so far I've found positives and negatives (Some which may be my own issues to be completely honest).  

Thanks,

J.

I have tired both CCM and M-F. I use M-F now. I have tired the 464, Great for swim baits. The reg. for softer baits. What I like about it ( I use a micowave) As close to no bubbles as you can get.You can shake the heck out of it and still no bubbles. Very little smoke, Very little cooking smell and no hard packing. Only time it turned yellow on me it was my bad for overcooking it.( by a lot) The biggie for me was I got a 1 gallon and from first pour to the last it was the same. Price more then some, less then others. BTW it was my #4 plastisol I tried. I'm a happy camper now and Jeff is a good guy. All IMO. I'm one of those guys If I like something I say it. If I don't I say that too.

There ya go the guys laid it out just about right . There is one plastic left I haven't used yet . But what I've found is alot of times there is a trade off in getting something you want from a plastic like less bubbles and then you find it will lack something not as stable a heat tolerance .Each to his own but I'll shoot any dang thing somebody sends me .

I realize there are quite a few choices out there now, but MF always worked best for me.  I tried just about every brand available at the time (trying to save a buck or two) and always went back to MF.  Never had a bubble issue, it never smoked, it was the same consistency every time, it didn't separate (just a little shaking of the 5-gallon jug would do the trick), etc.  It did have a little bit of a sweet smell to it, but you get used to that after a few pours.  The most expensive plastic at the time, but well worth every penny in my book.

Just to reiterate, I haven't tried some of these newer brands, so I can't comment on those.  And no......I don't have anything to do with MF.  I just liked their product.  LOL

Right now I have 4 brands of plastic on the shelf. I like the Pourasol marginally (marginally) better for open pours into a large body swimbait on the first pour, but overall I use the M-F preferrentially for everything. Since I don't do any big open pour swimbaits for myself I only use it when testing somebody else's mold. I buy the M-F Regular and the M-F Soft Sinking 5 or 10 gallons at a time. I use the M-F Salwater for clear dipping swimbait heads with stick on eyes, although I am considering going to glue on soft plastic eyes instead so I won't need that anymore. They all work, but over all I like the M-F the best.

I do not usually add hardner or softner like others do, but there is nothing wrong with that. I do use heat stabilizer now. Especially when blending in remelts.

What works for me is what works for me though. Little differences in how people do things sometimes makes big differences in what works best for them.

I have noticed of all the brands I have on the shelf (or the floor for the 5 gallon jugs) the M-F seems to settle and pack the least.  The Pourasol seems to settle out the worst. 

No matter what you use you will be able to decent baits if you do just two things consistently. 

1.  Make sure you kick it over thoroughly. 

2.  Make sure you don't over cook it. 

Edited by Bob La Londe

I'ld like to add that the M-F seems to me to be clearer, and handle more reheats. 

Question for you guys on re-heats.... are you cutting sprues/etc and tossing right back into the pot/cup or do you wait till you've gone through most of your batch and reheat a pile of sprues at one time?  I know technically either will work... just wondering if on lighter/clear baits if reheating all at once (less reheats) is a better option to keep the plastic from yellowing/etc.

J.

Question for you guys on re-heats.... are you cutting sprues/etc and tossing right back into the pot/cup or do you wait till you've gone through most of your batch and reheat a pile of sprues at one time?  I know technically either will work... just wondering if on lighter/clear baits if reheating all at once (less reheats) is a better option to keep the plastic from yellowing/etc.

J.

Whichever is more convenient for the batch and volume I am working with.  For large batches I tend to shoot until the cup is near empty.  For smaller batches or near the end of a run I'll cycle the plastic back in quicker. 

Whichever is more convenient for the batch and volume I am working with.  For large batches I tend to shoot until the cup is near empty.  For smaller batches or near the end of a run I'll cycle the plastic back in quicker. 

That's what I'm doing as well... I'm usually making smaller batches so I tend to cut sprues up and toss them back into the micro/presto ASAP..... didn't know if waiting to re-heat all at once would be a better option.... thanks.

J.