bass shack

Diy Crainkbait Bills?

I use a router and a template to make my own lips out of Lexan or G-10.

Gene

Your method is particularly well crafted. I have threatened to adapt it but haven't figured out how to incorporate a centerline in the template.

What I mean is, my method is slower than yours, but the template I glue to the polycarbonate has a centerline down the middle of the lip... I rough cut the lip then use a bandsaw to shape it down to the template. I leave the template attached, but I peel enough of it off so that the area that is inserted into the bait is exposed.

The centerline on the template helps me align the lip perfectly when the lip is installed...not to much to one side or the others when it is glued in.

I've considered trying your method but I'm not sure I would get the centerline centered when attaching the template to the jig you use when you cut the polycarbonate with the router bit.

Vince,

When I say that I use a template, I'm using a permanent template made out of hardwood with a handle that I attach the polycarbonate to. Then, I use a laminate trim bit with a bearing on the end of it. The wood template rides against router bit. I can't help you with the centerline though.

Gene

I use a router and a template to make my own lips out of Lexan or G-10.

Gene

I do this as well, what do you use to attach the lexan to the template? I'm currently using double sided scotch tape. Was wondering there could be something better. Thanks , John

I have tried several methods to fabricate my own bills. Lexan makes a nice bill, but tends to shatter in cold the colder temps like early season fishing. alumilite doesn't hold up to the stresses of fluid dynamics. You can buy sheets of circuit board and cut your own, but it is no fun to cut it without a die cutter or a roller cut. I have even used tongue depressors reinforced with epoxy, which made a decent bill, flexible enough not to break and stiff enough for good action.

I have been punching my own lips for 20 years or better and never had any problems with the dies in a shop press

"Crushing" any of the materials that I use.........Its all in the way the stamp is made that makes it work properly......Junebug you have seen all of my lures at the show.......I stamp all those lips with a shop press and dies made in my shop......they are not that hard to make....they just take a lot of time to get them done

j27,

I also use a double-sided tape. I tried the Scotch but wasn't impressed with it's holding properties.

Vince,

I don't have any special method for centering the lips other than just "eyeballing" them. I do get them off-center occasionally but for the most part I am pretty close most of the time.

Junebugs,

Take a sharp knife and cut the edge of your Lexan. If it cuts smoothly, it's Lexan. If it chips, it's plexi-glass.

Gene

j27,

I also use a double-sided tape. I tried the Scotch but wasn't impressed with it's holding properties.

Vince,

I don't have any special method for centering the lips other than just "eyeballing" them. I do get them off-center occasionally but for the most part I am pretty close most of the time.

Junebugs,

Take a sharp knife and cut the edge of your Lexan. If it cuts smoothly, it's Lexan. If it chips, it's plexi-glass.

Gene

Could you apply a paper template with a centerline marked on it to the top of your bill after it's on the jig, but before you actually shape it?

I don't use a template.  I cut my bills out of rectangular strips of lexan that I cut out on the radial arm saw.  I put some blue painter's tape on the blank, use a compass to put a centerline on the tape, and work to that.  It works for me, but I build lures one a time, not production.