Nathan

Concrete Sealer As Wood Sealer

I've been playing around with Gst concrete sealer as my wood sealer and so far I'm impressed.I 'm sure Eagle Supreme would work equally aswell.These are fairly thin products so you get good penetration.

I submerge the bait in the product for a couple minutes then hang to dry for at least 24 hrs.I then give them a coat of Solrez put then on a wheel to level then hit with a light..then off to painting ...Nathan

• Like 1

Mark,

Because the sealer goes a deeper into the wood...Should I have a toothy critter get a tooth through the top coat I've got the wood sealed a little deeper under it. Plus,the Solarez lays a little smoother over it...It's probably over kill but when submerging dried wood in water I need all the help I can get..lol..Nathan

FWIW, I had bought some Z-poxy finishing resin to try out for clearcoat due to it's longer pot life that turned out to be too yellow tinted to use. I happened to see it while experimenting with carving a jerkbait awhile back, and tried it to seal the bait with. It is alot thinner than most epoxies and is actually a finishing resin for wood, so it soaks into the wood pretty well, and on a turner levels out pretty much like any other epoxy. It does a great job of sealing the bait IMO

I've been playing around with Gst concrete sealer as my wood sealer and so far I'm impressed.I 'm sure Eagle Supreme would work equally aswell.These are fairly thin products so you get good penetration.

I submerge the bait in the product for a couple minutes then hang to dry for at least 24 hrs.I then give them a coat of Solrez put then on a wheel to level then hit with a light..then off to painting ...Nathan

I have used GST on a couple of wooden baits...awesom results but I would let cure more than 24 hours...I usually give it 4 Days. Really brings out the color of the wood. Actually left the wood grain in the pattern using transparent colors...pretty cool

On 12/24/2013 at 5:26 AM, Cougarftd said:

I believe it is like basswood...much harder than balsa...this shot kind of shows the grain

Hope the pics are ok here...if not just delete

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

post-25862-0-95642200-1387844642_thumb.jpg

post-25862-0-85148600-1387844729_thumb.jpg

https://www.epoxyfloorsoftampa.com/

The word around the yard here is that Concrete Sealers, such as H&C, are very good at protecting Bare Aluminum spars. Theses sealers are basically Acrylics and so are pretty much immune to the UV that destroys most other plastics and resins. And they penetrate well. So, how about using them as sealers on wood? Might be far more effective than the usual oils, varnishes or epoxies. Has anyone tried this?

On 4/21/2023 at 3:56 AM, albertaxpr said:

The word around the yard here is that Concrete Sealers, such as H&C, are very good at protecting Bare Aluminum spars. Theses sealers are basically Acrylics and so are pretty much immune to the UV that destroys most other plastics and resins. And they penetrate well. So, how about using them as sealers on wood? Might be far more effective than the usual oils, varnishes or epoxies. Has anyone tried this?

concrete sealing orlando

no response to this

I use high solids concrete sealer as a wood sealer. It works fantastically!

I originally bought a bunch of concrete sealers for top coat testing but they all reacted with other baits getting sticky and such when left in the sun or a hot plano box. So instead of tossing them i tested then as the sealing agent and then paint and topcoat with auto clear and it works great! 

• Like 1

This maybe a little out of left field. But one of the winter's projects has been a new set of deck chairs for up at the cabin. when I made my first set my next door neighbor gave me leftover cans of Cetol SRD the stuff is awesome for outdoor wood 

the 20 years since it's called this (at least in Canada)

http://www.exclusivepaints.com/shop/stain/sico-proluxe-srd-re-wood-finish/

20 years of abuse and the chairs are broken down but the finish is decent(remember 0 maintenance) We have some that had plain Varathan  and those are only 10 or so years and the wood is grey mossy and not a flake of finish on it.

Judging by a chair I just finished it is a curing finish, so with a light sand it should take paint

Did some looking and it is a boiled linseed oil variant

Edited by aulrich
  • Like 1