youthinthewild

3D Printers Future Of Prototyping Baits

Already being done..... I've been "secretly" using the 3D printer we have a work for a few years.  Right now the technology is good - but it's not the be-all end all.  

For testing protos it has it's place, but to think you can print a lure, then replicate it in Balsa or another material and get the exact same action isn't really realistic.  But if you build one, then get a mold made and inject it at the same wall thickness and material it should really cut down on development time ALOT.

I've used it more for masters to make POP molds and pour baits.  Works OK for this, but the resolution is a pain, as our machine prints in .013" steps/layers.... so as a proto bait it's OK.... but you have to sand/fill alot to get something smooth.  I also made a topwater bait with it once, but since I couldn't just keep printing a bunch out without getting fired I stopped there.

j.

I bought a 3d printer about 1 year ago and have been using it to make masters. Slow fish is dead on about it not really being a vible to make lures. Its great for testing the shape and action but other then that I've only found it is usfull for making the masters. If your brother is going to buy one hear are a couple things to look for.

Your going to want it to print abs plastic there are some tricks you can find online about smoothing it with acetone. There are a ton of materials that can be printed ranging from steel to ceramic and they all have major cost implications and can go into the hundreds of thousand of dollars.

Make sure you have a good handle on some 3d software. I've been using rhino and its been working ok. If you don't already know how to operate the software be prepared for a learning curve but once you figure it out the skies the limit.

Lastly, when I purchased my printer I had very high expectations In Regards to print quality, be prepared to clean, sand and be frustrated!!! Like most operable machines there is a set of skill that you will learn and at times it can be frustrating.

With all that said it's an amazing tool and can be very exciting to design and make things. Good luck!

Edited by paustin1982

I bought a 3d printer about 1 year ago and have been using it to make masters. Slow fish is dead on about it not really being a vible to make lures. Its great for testing the shape and action but other then that I've only found it is usfull for making the masters. If your brother is going to buy one hear are a couple things to look for.

Your going to want it to print abs plastic there are some tricks you can find online about smoothing it with acetone. There are a ton of materials that can be printed ranging from steel to ceramic and they all have major cost implications and can go into the hundreds of thousand of dollars.

Make sure you have a good handle on some 3d software. I've been using rhino and its been working ok. If you don't already know how to operate the software be prepared for a learning curve but once you figure it out the skies the limit.

Lastly, when I purchased my printer I had very high expectations In Regards to print quality, be prepared to clean, sand and be frustrated!!! Like most operable machines there is a set of skill that you will learn and at times it can be frustrating.

With all that said it's an amazing tool and can be very exciting to design and make things. Good luck!

All really good advice here.... a few others for people going this route...

ONE.. and SUPER IMPORTANT... if you plan on buying a used machine... make sure it's still supported and will be supported by the manufacture.  We were informed this year that our machine will reach it's "end of life" mid 2014.... which basically meant the manufacture is going to stop making material/supplies and parts for it, as well as eliminate the servicing of the machine - even though we are on a maintenance plan!!!  So my guess is you may find good deals out there on used machines, only to find out you'd have to rig something up yourself to feed it material and if it breaks you'd have a hell of a time fixing it.

Second... if you buy one and by chance have it serviced, the guy that shows to do the work could be your best friend!!!!  I learned more about our machine from the service tech than anything we learned from other sources.  Even little tips like placing items in strategic areas on the build plate to avoid movement from the internal fans... you don't get that in books, but the techs Iive that stuff every day.... so make a friend with the guy.

J.

They not only have 3d printers for this but I saw in PopularScience that they also have 360 degree 3D scanners that support and opperate with most printers now so you can scan a bait or object and it automatically transfers that image/object into a file for you to customize. If you have a favorite bait then there you go. just watch for copyright infringement. Go to their website popsci.com and do a search for the 3d scanners if you are interested.

Going back 5 years or so I took a rapid prototyping class in college. We had 2 types of 3d printers and a 3d scanner on a faro arm.

The 3d scanner we took a quarter, scanned it in to Pro E, it had every little detail picked up. The date on the quarter was showing clear, normal dents and nicks were present from the quarter. The in Pro E we manipulated the surfaces and printed in out. It took no time at all to do all this.

You could rip any thing off that anyone has made, change whats needed to make it legal and do it in a hurry.

Its crazy what can be done with computers, I remember in elementary school thinking computers were only good for playing "Oregon trail"

Edited by Anzomcik

For most hobbyists the 3d printer isn't used near its capacity.  Most don't have the skill/understanding or a quality enough unit to truly make it useful for prototyping.  It is far more about having a toy and/or thinking they have one up on the next guy.  I still think for most if they took the time to build a bait and understand what is going on they would make a better bait.  Too many want something now.  Get the technology into a guy that can actual make a crankbait and look out.

Knocking off baits, well you will never compete with the Chinese so makes a heck of a lot more sense to buy those and paint them than ever messing with a 3D printer. Some would contort the bait  and make some bogus claim it performs better because of xyz because that is what some "lure makers" are about and head straight to ebay or their "custom" lure website.

I can see it now "Amazing crankbait catches bass like no other!!!  Custom designed utilizing proprietary software and start of the art 3D printer technology to bring you the finest quality hand crafted crank bait out there.  You have fished with the rest now fish the best!"  Aid some other statement about designed to mimic injured baitfish.... lateral line....natural predatory instinct..... and well you 

My kids are totally computer literate, and I'm happy for them.

But I'm not, and, at 66, I am too lazy to try and learn "all" about them now, so I don't see 3D printing in my future, even though my across the street neighbor uses them at work.  And I'm sure my unease with working on the computer colors my attitude, to a large degree.

But the real reason I will pass on them is, as a hobbyist, I love carving out my cranks and swimbaits.  It's fun and satisfying.

For me, it's like actually fishing, instead of watching fishing on TV.

It would be fun to work on ideas and concepts based on the repeat-ability and then being able to tweak the prior design. Honestly I would like to have one to play with but like Mark  I enjoy the process of making the baits the rewarding part.  

Everyone gets into making baits for different reasons for sure but for me it has always been about making the bait.  I made and still make foamies but will say it isn't something that I get any deep satisfaction out of as I don't feel like I made anything (the master and mold being the enjoyable part).  I never got a feeling I had crafted something.  Like printing out water slide decals or other printed designs.  Just never satisfied the urge to make something, I was far more satisfied with a poor paint job and the process of getting better.   :lolhuh:

I like the idea if I were making baits of my own design (never going to happen :nuhuh:) to use it as a proof of concept not for production. I don't see homeowner type machines accomplishing that any time soon but it sure would cut down on the trial and error part of the equation. For now I'm happy buying blanks and carving the occasional bait to keep my box full.

Here is a story from Popular science about one of the newest printers available

http://www.popsci.com/article/gadgets/ces-2014-makerbot-unveils-makerbot-can-print-makerbot?dom=PSC&loc=recent&lnk=5&con=ces-2014-makerbot-unveils-enormous-3d-printer

This is the link for the scanner http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2013-08/makerbots-digitizer-3-d-scanner-now-available-pre-order

I think the idea is cool and you could come up with some really neat ideas but like several others have said its just nice to do it by hand. Even though I can't paint for crap.

I'm curious, what does a printer cost and what does it cost to make 1 prototype? what kind of file/software runs one?

Hi dlaery,

There are a range of prices from $800-$500,000+ if you're new to 3d printing i would suggest a home hobby/desktop printer. I purchased mine for 2,800 and use for everything from work to lures. It prints abs, ova and pla plastic by heating and extruding the plastic through a nozzle very similare to a hot glue gun, or a better put a hot glue gun attached to a cnc.

I buy my abs plastic in spools similar to the way you would purchase a spool of fishing line just much thicker. one spool cost around $50 and weighs 2.2 lbs.  cost for each prototype would have to consider the size of the object and the density at which you print it. the density can range from a hollow shell to 100% fill. for a better example look in my gallery and you'll see a bass, that prototype cost me about $5 in plastic to print which doesn't account for the cost of the machine.   

As for software and file type, this also varies depending on the machine you purchase. Some software names are Rhino, maya, sketch up (not good for organic modeling) and auto cad, I'm sure there are more out there but these are the first that come to mind. My machine accepts .OBJ and .STl file for print. 

I've attached a file of a prototype i'm working on now, it cost about $8 to print this at 50% fill.

Hope this helps,

Pete

photo-10.JPG

photo-10.JPG

photo-10.JPG

photo-10.JPG

photo-10.JPG

photo-10.JPG

photo-10.JPG

photo-10.JPG

post-44683-0-79883500-1389237540_thumb.jpg

Edited by paustin1982

Here is a story from Popular science about one of the newest printers available

http://www.popsci.com/article/gadgets/ces-2014-makerbot-unveils-makerbot-can-print-makerbot?dom=PSC&loc=recent&lnk=5&con=ces-2014-makerbot-unveils-enormous-3d-printer

This is the link for the scanner http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2013-08/makerbots-digitizer-3-d-scanner-now-available-pre-order

I think the idea is cool and you could come up with some really neat ideas but like several others have said its just nice to do it by hand. Even though I can't paint for crap.

Thanks for the links. I would love to have the scanner but I am gun shy because things are never what I think they should be and a lot more complicated.

Hi dlaery,

There are a range of prices from $800-$500,000+ if you're new to 3d printing i would suggest a home hobby/desktop printer. I purchased mine for 2,800 and use for everything from work to lures. It prints abs, ova and pla plastic by heating and extruding the plastic through a nozzle very similare to a hot glue gun, or a better put a hot glue gun attached to a cnc.

I buy my abs plastic in spools similar to the way you would purchase a spool of fishing line just much thicker. one spool cost around $50 and weighs 2.2 lbs.  cost for each prototype would have to consider the size of the object and the density at which you print it. the density can range from a hollow shell to 100% fill. for a better example look in my gallery and you'll see a bass, that prototype cost me about $5 in plastic to print which doesn't account for the cost of the machine.   

As for software and file type, this also varies depending on the machine you purchase. Some software names are Rhino, maya, sketch up (not good for organic modeling) and auto cad, I'm sure there are more out there but these are the first that come to mind. My machine accepts .OBJ and .STl file for print. 

I've attached a file of a prototype i'm working on now, it cost about $8 to print this at 50% fill.

Hope this helps,

Pete

thanks, I guess you get what you pay for, but I don't think I usually get what I pay for, 

Your pic of your bait looks good. 

Your info is very helpful, but...It has created a whole bunch of questions for me :?​  , so I'll leave it at that :D 

Hi dlaery,

Hope this helps,

Pete

Great looking bait!

Did you have to do much sanding to get it to look like that?

Are the joint marks from sections that you had to glue together?

If I were to go after a unit.... these were just released from one of the leaders in the the 3D rapid proto industry.  They don't quote the cartridge cost, which I'm betting is their way to make money on the lower cost "home" unit... kinda the razor blade / print cartridge model of giving the technology away at close to cost and making money on the refills.

http://www.engineering.com/3DPrinting/3DPrintingArticles/ArticleID/6914/3D-System-Introduces-Two-New-Affordable-3D-Printers.aspx#!

Great looking bait!

Did you have to do much sanding to get it to look like that?

Are the joint marks from sections that you had to glue together

Thanks Mark,I spent about 30-40 minutes sanding with 400 grit then I give it an acetone vapor bath for a few seconds and it comes out really smooth. The printer lays down the plastic on a flat heated bed, the joint marks are where it's epoxied together. It take a little time to make sure the master doesn't transfer the joint lines but it work out in the end. 

Pete

I would love to get my hands on one of these. I have so many applications, in many other fields as well as lures. But alas, I am never going to be able to afford one.

If any of you are considering this route, before spending your money, sort out the CAD side of things first. You can spend many hours, even with CAD experience, trying to model a compound curvature shape of a crank lure. But, that is nothing to the time you will spend modelling the scales, lips, fins and all the rest of the detail. Twenty hours of modelling would not be an exaggeration. True, with practise and designing similar models, the time scales will come down some.

I have been working professionally on CAD since 1985, on cars and aircraft. I can tell you that the most difficult and challenging shapes I have ever tackled were crank bodies and that is without all the detail - so be warned. Master the CAD first.

Paustin - very nice modelling.

Dave

I've played around with this as well for making masters for PoP/rtv molds. What everyone else is saying regarding the limitations is correct.

One thing I will add is that you don't need to buy a printer to dabble in the technology as a hobbyist. You can download free software, design what you want, then send it to a printing company to print it. The cost is around 10-15 bucks for a bass sized lure and takes a week or 2 including shipping. You obviously lose the rapid part of rapid prototyping, but you don't need to drop 2k+ on a printer. I've used it as a way to make more detailed/symmetrical masters than I could with clay or wood.