12spot

Jigs To Align Lure Eyes

I found a trick on here just for that. I use a toilet paper roll folded in half, use a hole punch to put a hole in both sides at the same time. Insert your lure in the roll and line up the crease on the center line of the bait and spray your eyes. I think that Little River posted this method a while back.

Another way (if you are carving eye sockets) is, while the blank is still square, put it on a drill press and drill a small hole all the way through to mark the spots where you want the eye sockets to be.

I used to drill a hole about 1/8" deep while it was still in block form. I got tired of that because I either had to stop and re-drill as I was shaping or I would over drill and one hole would be too deep. Now I just use a set of inside calipers to mark where the the holes are to be drilled. This way I can also drill at the proper angle to the head. A hole square to the body does not always work right.

Just a little eyeball alignment and a couple of pinches on the calipers and I have reference points to set my drill bit into.

I eyeball mine too.  I use daubed-on painted eyes mostly and admit I occasionally have to remove paint when I miss the mark.  A damp Q-tip rolled across the wet paint picks up the mistake if I screw up.  When I daub it on, I look at the side of the lure for the first eye, then at the front of the lure to align the second eye.

Have I ever produced a cock-eyed crankbait?  Yep.  But practice helps.

Edited by BobP

I must be spending too much time on my eyes then...

I drill a 3/16" or 1/4" hole  about 1/16" deep, depending on the size of the lure. I then put a background color of fingernail polish, usually white silver or gold. I then use a small dowel and place a drop of the retina color. Once the retina color shrinks out I try to add another drop to mound it up a little. I then place a drop of 5 minute epoxy in the eye socket and place on the dryer to rotate. I will occasionally outline the eye with a contrasting color if it dose not stand out well. The D2T seals the whole thing down and seems to keep the 5 minute epoxy from yellowing. Time will tell.

I posted some of these pictures years ago but AGAIN, I could not find them on here- so I rifled through my picture files and here is another way, works O.K . The gauge can be made from Polycarbonate or PVC sheet (brass is best)-

For accuracy the thickness of the eye gauge should be close to the thickness of bib slot - The bib slot should be 'square' and at r/angles to blank length.

See also- http://www.lurelovers/forum/some-tools-i-found-add-yours_topic6863.html

I now use a drill press and drill a small hole through the blank as discussed in above post (Bob's I think).

Pete

Eye Gague 1.jpg

Eye Gague 2.jpg

Eye Gague 3.jpg

Eye Gague 1.jpg

Eye Gague 2.jpg

Eye Gague 3.jpg

Eye Gague 1.jpg

Eye Gague 2.jpg

Eye Gague 3.jpg

Eye Gague 1.jpg

Eye Gague 2.jpg