Captaing

Stencil Making-Silhouette Portrait

I've read the stencil topics with the guys using a silhouette cameo, but see that they now make a smaller unit called the portrait and was wondering if anyone had used the portrait?

The cameo goes for nearly 300 bucks and the portrait is only 150..... And the only difference I can see is size of stencil capability, and there is no little LCD screen....both of which I can't see making a huge difference being as most of us will only print out 4" stencils.

My wife won't be happy with either purchase....but the that's why I spend all my time down in the basement anyway ;)

Edited by Captaing

I have to admit I don't know what you're talking about.  Stencil?  I lay a lure on a piece of paper and outline it with a pencil, then overlay a clear piece of plastic, use a Sharpie to copy the shape, then cut it out.  Costs about 2 cents.  What am I missing?

Yep....airbrushing.....

i use the cameo. its my mom's being im only 15. once you get the hang of using it, you can cut a few stencils on each piece of paper depending on the size. it can also cut pretty thick materials such as stencil material and certain cloths. i just figured out how to take a picture off of google images and make a stencil out of it and used it to paint one of my rods camoflage. you might want to check to make sure you can use the smaller one to still be able to cut the materials like the stencil plastic. i should probably post a video using it as a stencil maker for lures once my new airbrush comes in.

tight lines and God bless, Josh

i'm sorry for not introducing myself.

My name is Josh. I'm 15 and from Cali. I fish for mostly bass. I've been making baits for about 3 years now and have just started to sell my handpours. I'm getting on to start selling my hand carved and airbrushed lures. I have lots of ideas and plan on learning from TU as well as sharing. I may be young but don't count me out.

Benton, actually I was talking about a stencil for the shape of the lure, not for painting - but I use the same method for paint stencils too.  Instead of using a stiff plastic like I would on a lure shape, I use frisket material, which is a thinner plastic with an adhesive paper backing intended for paint stencils.  The thinner frisket material makes cutting out intricate designs with an X-acto knife much easier.  Tip - instead of cutting out the paint stencil and peeling off the backing to stick it on the lure, which tends to lift paint off the lure when it's removed, I leave the backing on and hold it against the lure while I paint.  That way, I can wipe the wet paint off the stencil, reverse it, and use it for the other side of the bait to get both sides exactly the same.  And I can save the stencil for later baits.

• Like 2

I don't really mean to knock any method for designing or making a bait.  Another guy may use a process just because he enjoys using that process.  That's fine.  It's a hobby for most of us and we're doing it for the enjoyment.  I'm a hobby builder and my "hands-on" methods certainly aren't the most efficient or quickest.  They're just sufficient to build enough baits every year to keep me and a few friends in in crankbaits. I do use a software CAD program to draw and print lip shapes, which is
the only way I've found to get really straight lip stencils.

• Like 1