tigerfire

Skirt Tab Storage

Snack or sandwich zip lock bags. Try to break them up in hundreds. I write the color # and where it came from. Eample: LPO=lure parts online, Rat=rat trap. I have a few separate bins. http://www.planostoragesolutions.com/products/187-xxl-pro-latch-stowaway-with-bulk-storage.aspx

For spinnerbaits and jigs. Keeps everything nice and neat.

I have all of my skirts in small zip-lock baggies (each baggie holds 100 tabs), then they are labeled with color number and color. Then they are put in Plano boxes, and the Plano box is marked on the outside what color numbers are in the box. All of my skirts are from fishing skirts.com easier for me to track. I have about 40 Plano boxes. All duplicate surplus colors  are put in a plastic shoe box and labeled how much of each color. See pics below.

IMG_0093.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG

post-13040-0-82291300-1392808613_thumb.jpg

post-13040-0-21119100-1392808814_thumb.jpg

Zip lock bags with the name of the place I got it along with their item number,and color, it makes it easier to reorder and has really helped for colors not used a lot. What I noticed is the vendors may get the same color in stock but they get it from a different distributor (that is what I was told) and the same color has a different name, the best example is glimmer blue which is also called blue interference pepper and also pearl pepper with blue tint, and keep in mind this all was from 1 place over a 3 year period but they were all exactly the same color.

• Like 1

I use stackable bins you get from Walmart, Dollar General, etc.  If you make a large amount of baits with skirts this system is quick.  Just pull the trays out that you need.  You can get a couple hundred tabs in each bin.  Also it is easy to keep your skirts organized as you grow your inventory.  The containers of skirts in this picture are all from fishing skirts and I have them organized buy color #.  I have another area of bins from another supplier and they are organized the same way.

skirts1.JPG

skirt2.JPG

skirts1.JPG

skirt2.JPG

skirts1.JPG

skirt2.JPG

skirts1.JPG

skirt2.JPG

skirts1.JPG

skirt2.JPG

skirts1.JPG

skirt2.JPG

skirts1.JPG

skirt2.JPG

skirts1.JPG

skirt2.JPG

post-16753-0-53323100-1392826159_thumb.jpg

post-16753-0-66753900-1392826168_thumb.jpg

Edited by bass100

I have all of my skirts in small zip-lock baggies (each baggie holds 100 tabs), then they are labeled with color number and color. Then they are put in Plano boxes, and the Plano box is marked on the outside what color numbers are in the box. All of my skirts are from fishing skirts.com easier for me to track. I have about 40 Plano boxes. All duplicate surplus colors  are put in a plastic shoe box and labeled how much of each color. See pics below.

Now that I think of it, many moons ago it was you that gave me this idea using zip-lock bags.

Plano boxes for me ... I wanna say they are 3600 models. The bottom where there is no where to put a divider in the middle, I cut to fit ad hot glue it. Works great, made labels for the box number and tab number so it makes it easy for me and my wife to locate where the colors for each skirt is ...

Man you guys have stock piles of skirt tabs. Dang!!

This is why I tell people who want to start making their own tackle that it isn't going to save them money, it is addicting and sure, it starts innocently with a mold or two and some skirt tabs and before you know it you have 50 molds, 15 pounds of skirt tabs and thousands of different size eyes and blades and every thing else there is to have. Yep, we all have piles, all of us that have been doing it awhile.

• Like 1

I use stackable bins you get from Walmart, Dollar General, etc.  If you make a large amount of baits with skirts this system is quick.  Just pull the trays out that you need.  You can get a couple hundred tabs in each bin.  Also it is easy to keep your skirts organized as you grow your inventory.  The containers of skirts in this picture are all from fishing skirts and I have them organized buy color #.  I have another area of bins from another supplier and they are organized the same way.

attachicon.gifskirts1.JPG

attachicon.gifskirt2.JPG

I like your idea seems like it would take up a lot less space than all my Plano boxes. How much was each set of bins? Also can you put two packs of 100 in each drawer? This would cut down all the Plano boxes I have

Now that I think of it, many moons ago it was you that gave me this idea using zip-lock bags.

The only reason I put it in plastic bags is to identify them when I take the bags out of the Plano boxes. However with so many Plano boxes it gets to be a pain. But the way bass100 does it, all I would have to do is take out only the drawer I need. Seems easier for some reason. I have to look into this further for ease of use.

Man you guys have stock piles of skirt tabs. Dang!!

Smalljaw is correct, those of us that have been doing this for awhile (about 10+ years for me) have a lot of stuff. You have to have it because you need to be ready for almost any situation. To this day, I still don't stock everything, because there is someone that always wants something just a little different. I currently have about 120 give or take Do-It molds, lots of skirt colors and probably 600 pounds of powder paint. It's just a little extreme, but I got to have it. LOL. Stating that it's an addiction is putting it mildly, it's more of a compulsive disorder to have more, on the verge of being locked up in an institution. But what you gonna do?

Edited by cadman

attachicon.gifskirts1.JPG

attachicon.gifskirt2.JPG

That is slick!!!

Mine are stacks of 5 bins and they cost between $6 and $8 depending on where you go.  I put 2 packs of 100 in each drawer but they must be laid in to get that many.  In other words they all must be laying flat to get 200 in.  Don't drop any of the full bins, it is a nightmare. Although they are stackable, I screwed my stacks together so that they could not be bumped and knocked over.  As far as removing the drawer, they have tabs on the drawers to keep them from falling all the way out.  Just squeeze the drawer in the middle as you are pulling them out or you can cut the tabs off.  On all my other bins I cut the tabs off but on the skirt drawers I leave them alone.  I had an accident while moving the bins, I tillted them to much when carrying and a couple of the drawers fell out.  I never want that to happen again.  I have colors that I don't use much of so I put a 100 tabs of each side by side in a bin, like the picture below.

skirts3.JPG

skirts3.JPG

skirts3.JPG

skirts3.JPG

skirts3.JPG

skirts3.JPG

skirts3.JPG

skirts3.JPG

post-16753-0-98969000-1392908735_thumb.jpg

Just a tid bit to add . I like to keep skirts , plastic and paint cooled at 38 degrees or so . Why I found that over time any thing will degrade in hot/cold climates whether it is in a can or a rubber type product . This is especially handy for plastic paints .  Living rubber skirt materials will turn a dusty white due to temp exposure . It also helps with degasing/dry out after you open a container .

Mine are stacks of 5 bins and they cost between $6 and $8 depending on where you go.  I put 2 packs of 100 in each drawer but they must be laid in to get that many.  In other words they all must be laying flat to get 200 in.  Don't drop any of the full bins, it is a nightmare. Although they are stackable, I screwed my stacks together so that they could not be bumped and knocked over.  As far as removing the drawer, they have tabs on the drawers to keep them from falling all the way out.  Just squeeze the drawer in the middle as you are pulling them out or you can cut the tabs off.  On all my other bins I cut the tabs off but on the skirt drawers I leave them alone.  I had an accident while moving the bins, I tillted them to much when carrying and a couple of the drawers fell out.  I never want that to happen again.  I have colors that I don't use much of so I put a 100 tabs of each side by side in a bin, like the picture below.

attachicon.gifskirts3.JPG

Your pic has the exact answer I was looking  for. One more question, what is the width of the drawer in your pic? Thanks for all the help. :yay::yay::yay:

Edited by cadman

Smalljaw is correct, those of us that have been doing this for awhile (about 10+ years for me) have a lot of stuff. You have to have it because you need to be ready for almost any situation. To this day, I still don't stock everything, because there is someone that always wants something just a little different. I currently have about 120 give or take Do-It molds, lots of skirt colors and probably 600 pounds of powder paint. It's just a little extreme, but I got to have it. LOL. Stating that it's an addiction is putting it mildly, it's more of a compulsive disorder to have more, on the verge of being locked up in an institution. But what you gonna do?

120 Do-It molds? 600 pounds of powder paint? Considering you sell you powder paint as well as other lures and jigs and such it doesn't sound insane.

Now if you were having that all for yourself...I would starting finding phone numbers in your area for a therapist. Hey at least you can paint heads any color you want at any time and tie skirts any color at any time.

I'm not really expecting to save money. If some of my friends pay me a few bucks or trade me something for some jigs thats where it starts making up some of the money I've spent.

I'm also helping a buddy who owns a small plastic bait company design some baits since I have a lot of experience with Solidworks. So he can match any color to my jigs and vice versa.

Just a warning, addictive it is, yes. There are so many cool looking colors from so many places. I do spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, and jigs and my inventory now takes up 2 60 drawer parts cabinets. But I can make any color combo skirt I want. I also keep a file showing colors, name, and where purchased. Some colors are added each year and some disappear. Have fun.