CincyFisher

Hydrosilk Or ?

I bought some old stock skirts from a friend and I am wondering what material they are made of.  He is unsure but some of the other skirts are marked as Hydrosilk.  They are both round but the ones in the picture have glitter and seem a bit stiffer than the ones marked as Hydrosilk.  They seem to me to be too stiff and would puff out too much.  I tied one on a spinnerbait and it seemed way too full for my liking.  Any insights as to what this is and what it may be good for?

IMG_20140325_222211.jpg

IMG_20140325_222211.jpg

IMG_20140325_222211.jpg

IMG_20140325_222211.jpg

IMG_20140325_222211.jpg

IMG_20140325_222211.jpg

IMG_20140325_222211.jpg

IMG_20140325_222211.jpg

post-33988-0-51125800-1395801164_thumb.jpg

it is Starflash skirt material. The Starflash material is excellent for spinnnerbaits as it is stiffer and puffs out more when it is pulled through the water. I can tell by the skirts, as I have the same ones.

You have a PM

Edited by cadman
  • Like 1

Is Hydrosilk similar to Lumaflex?

No, hydrosilk was like round rubber only it was silicone, completely round with a lot of bounce and very supple and soft. For a long time I tried getting just the material but the people or company that made the stuff would only sell it in finished skirts, so I'd get a bunch and then make my own.  It is a real shame they aren't made, I honestly believe if they sold the material as well as the skirts, they could have made some serious money, I'd have no problem paying more for that stuff. That said, I do like the bio-silk material sold by Lure Parts Online, it comes in a tab like normal silicone but when you make a skirt it has the feel of rubber and actually acts like rubber, it is flat but has good movement, that is what I use now for base colors with living image as accent color.

I'm with smalljaw as well. I was and still am a die hard fan of hydro-silk material. If you see the current round rubber Jann's sells, it was like that only smaller in diameter, very soft and supple. I have about 100 skirts left and none to be found anywhere  without overpaying. I too tried bio-silk on the recommendation of smalljaw, and I too like it, but it's not hydro-silk.

OK, so how about Lumaflex?  Tony, thanks for mentioning it.  I has a lot of it and am almost out and I would like more.  I just cannot find it.

Loved the Hyrosilk as well.  Different tools, different uses.

You can buy lumaflex at www.livingrubber.com   if you make your own skirts but if you want them already made you can go to ebay.

You can buy spools of the lumiflex thread at

Supreme Corp.

325 Spencer Rd.

Conover, NC

888-604-6975

I took a wire coat hanger and bent it into a goal post design with the upright bars apart the distance I wanted the length of my skirt to be. Then I chuck up the post into my drill and spin on how ever many strands I need for each skirt. Tie in the middle then cut the ends loose from uprights. It's easier than it sounds. Musky Glenn

This is how I buy Lumiflex. Also notice the coat hanger bent into the shape of a goal post, I put that in my drill and spin how ever many wraps I need to make one skirt. Those are also the type of brushes I buy for epoxy. Those are the only two colors of Lumiflex I use. Everything else I use some type of silicone skirts. Musky Glenn

http://s226.photobucket.com/user/muskyglenn/media/100_3470_zps0f5a24b0.jpg.html?o=77

100_3470.JPG

100_3470.JPG

100_3470.JPG

100_3470.JPG

100_3470.JPG

100_3470.JPG

100_3470.JPG

100_3470.JPG

post-24237-0-47161100-1415339594_thumb.jpg

Edited by Musky Glenn