JRammit

Fathers Day

Ok... I'm dying to start this amazing new hobby!!! It's all I've thought about since I found it!... Fathers Day is around the corner, so... What do I need???... Found a soft bait starter kit on makelure.com for 80 bucks.. Included is sculpting clay, rubber mold material, mold release, Alumisol, softener/hardener, and a few colors... Guess I need my own Pyrex, dedicated microwave (I assume I shouldn't use the same one we cook in) and... That's all I know of... Question: do I need an injector if I use 2 piece molds? Or can I pour into a 2 piece??

I've looked at quite a few, might b more I don't know about... Most of the kits come with prefabricated molds, but I'm not interested in reproducing someone else's ideas... I'm looking for the ability to create my own molds... Any suggestions would be great!

First welcome to the site. If you want to make your own molds. Just go to Wal-Mart, they sell the oven bake clay. If your good with clay and somewhat of a artist. Your way ahead of me when I started. Read every thing you can on this site. Go to you tube and watch every video you can find. You have a lot to learn and the more you learn the more money you will spend. Good luck and have fun. BTW  I have made over a dozen molds and only two caught any fish. The rest I dumped in the thrash.

Thanks! Glad to be here!... Modeling clay? I watched a YouTube video of a guy making molds out of Bondo.. His baits looked a little "rough around the edges"... So... Does the rubber molding hold any advantages over the clay or the Bondo?... If not... Fathers Day may come a little early this year....!

Edited by JRammit

The makelure starter kit is fine if you plan to make a few bass sized baits. You will quickly run out of mold making silicone. I have done the same kind of research to end up with the following conclusions. Keep in mind that I am mostly into large muskie baits, as this affects the results.

More mold making material is better. I went with Smooth On as it was cheaper than many other brands, and have not regretted it at all, except the 5 pounds I first ordrred had to be backed up by another 11 pounds ordered three days later.

Coroplast is available at all hardware stores and is very cheap.

Plaster of Paris works well with simple designs, at least for me. Anything with great detail may not be up to par with silicone molds, but the price difference is major. I thus have simple models in PoP, and more detailed ones in silicone.

Get at least twice as much plastisol as you first thought was enough. I just went through five gals. In something like six pouring sessions. This simply proves the addiction that one develops so fast.

Order several colors in advance. Shipping fees are sometimes ludicrous on small parcels, so it is better to save on shipping by getting more colors to begin with.

A dedicated microwave is a must. You (or your wife) will confirm this upon the first inhalation of fumes. The same thing goes for pyrex cups. And get a few of those to avoid having to wait for the plastisol to cool off between pours of different colors, especially for multicolored baits.

Pat

From what I have read on this site, which I have never tried. You can use a clay model to use in pop or dwp (Duran's water putty). Just don't bake the clay. But from what I understand you loss the model. trying to get it out. Yesterday I took a 3 1/2" swim bait mold that I got from Lure craft . Nice bait with 1/4" eyes. Poured 15 baits in clear plastic. Cut the heads off. Left me a 2 7/8" bait that I could put a jig head on. Sure you can just use it on a jig head with the head, but I wanted a flat front on the bait. Got a flat bottom plastic bowl from the dollar store, well for a dollar. Super glued the baits on the bottom of the bowl. They were open poured baits , so I glued the flat side down on the bottom of the bowl. Mixed the DWP( you can use Plaster of Paris(pop) if you want. I like DWP better) with water and poured over the baits. It sets up In a two hours because of the size. Take it out of bowl. Make sure it's setup good and remove the models. I let it dry for a week clean it up, sand it and then seal it. When it's done I'll have a real nice mold that I can pour a lot of baits at one time. For what 10 bucks.