aaarneson

Swim Jigs....eyes Question

2 hours ago, cadman said:

I have been using D2T for over 10 years and only a couple times I've had issues where it was tacky, because I did not measure equal amounts. Other than that it always dried clear and glossy.  When you mix the two equal amounts together, only mix for about a minute. Than brush it on your jig or bait. Do not over brush. D2T is self leveling, and it will even out. Make sure you are in a warm environment 65 degrees plus when mixing and letting it dry. If you wait too long to brush it on, D2T will start to harden and you will not be able to brush it on a jig or bait. I have never had brush marks. You really only have about 10 minutes of working time from the time you mix it to the time it starts to harden, so don't mix too much. Try it again and see how it goes.

Good Luck and Welcome to TU.

thanks cadman. i used dt2 30 min in a plunger style tube that distributes equal amounts. i mixed it well and immediately applied it to 10 jigs and hung to dry. tried 5 more the next night...same result. maybe i over brushed it. 

25 minutes ago, Apdriver said:

I never really got along with D2T. Not enough working time for me. I have found KBS Diamond has a longer working time....much longer...and gives a crystal clear finish also. It is a moisture cure urethane and storage can be an issue with MCU’s but I have had a quart for a long time using the tap the can method and bloxygen.

All that said, there are excellent epoxies used by rod builders to coat the wrappings on rods that have excellent working times and are self leveling. I like a product called Proflex that’s easy to work with and long pot life. No storage issues either because it’s a two part epoxy. Crystal clear. 

One other thing you will probably want to do to get your best overall result when topcoating your creations, is make yourself a lure turner. Cuts down on the frustration of drips, runs and such of topcoats and allows you to use and experiment with most any topcoat. You can find all kinds of lure turner threads here with a search. 

thanks for the info Apdriver. i may have to try some of your suggestions