JBlaze

Fixed Blade Jig

Ever since seeing the lover jig, I have wanted to make one but just couldn't figure out how to put one together.This idea came to me while building a vibrating jig a few days ago. Not even sure it will work but is closer than anything I have made so far.

3/32's hole drilled in top of head for screw  eye. 

Slot for lip/blade cut with a hacksaw with two blades in it.

Blade is made of 1/16 in. Makrolon/lexan 

Line tie made with .032 soft temper stainless wire. I did this because I think the thin lip would bend and straighten out without it being anchored to the lead head. Ugly but I think it 

will work. I already have a better idea for this step.

Painted with powder paints using Cadman's tap the brush method and an aluminum horse mane comb. Clear coated with D2T.

Hydro Silk Skirt.

Spent just about all day making this thing, sure hope it works! Anyway, it was interesting, challenging and fun.

Hope this inspires someone to make another and better one.

John

Fixed Blade a.jpg

Fixed Blade b.jpg

Fixed Blade d.jpg

Fixed Blade e.jpg

Fixed Blade f.jpg

Fixed Blade h.jpg

Fixed Blade a.jpg

Fixed Blade b.jpg

Fixed Blade d.jpg

Fixed Blade e.jpg

Fixed Blade f.jpg

Fixed Blade h.jpg

Fixed Blade a.jpg

Fixed Blade b.jpg

Fixed Blade d.jpg

Fixed Blade e.jpg

Fixed Blade f.jpg

Fixed Blade h.jpg

Fixed Blade a.jpg

Fixed Blade b.jpg

Fixed Blade d.jpg

Fixed Blade e.jpg

Fixed Blade f.jpg

Fixed Blade h.jpg

Fixed Blade a.jpg

Fixed Blade b.jpg

Fixed Blade d.jpg

Fixed Blade e.jpg

Fixed Blade f.jpg

Fixed Blade h.jpg

Fixed Blade a.jpg

Fixed Blade b.jpg

Fixed Blade d.jpg

Fixed Blade e.jpg

Fixed Blade f.jpg

Fixed Blade h.jpg

Fixed Blade a.jpg

Fixed Blade b.jpg

Fixed Blade d.jpg

Fixed Blade e.jpg

Fixed Blade f.jpg

Fixed Blade h.jpg

Fixed Blade a.jpg

Fixed Blade b.jpg

Fixed Blade d.jpg

Fixed Blade e.jpg

Fixed Blade f.jpg

Fixed Blade h.jpg

post-14659-0-63509300-1404349622_thumb.jpg

post-14659-0-56357300-1404349624_thumb.jpg

post-14659-0-88944400-1404349625_thumb.jpg

post-14659-0-45160800-1404349628_thumb.jpg

post-14659-0-09903600-1404349630_thumb.jpg

post-14659-0-54628300-1404349631_thumb.jpg

Edited by JBlaze

BTW, is that a hydro-silk skirt on that?

That is the same question I was going to ask.

So John is that hydro-silk skirting material? If so is it old stock, or did you get it recently. If recent, please PM me with your source.

Smalljaw, Cadman, Mark, and JSC. Thanks for the compliments. 

It is old hydro silk stock that I have had for quite some time. I have 6 of those skirts left. Just saving them for something special. I think this may be it. I wish I could find a source for these skirts. They came from Jann's Netcraft many years ago

I should know how it works tomorrow when I get to work. One of my friends is going bass'in this afternoon. I let him take it with him after I took my skirt off of it. He will give me a report on how it runs and if it thumps and/or vibrates. Will post his findings when I get home. 

Kdog, I don't think it will cut my line. a road test will let me know one way or the other.

Mark, I did attach a snap lock to the line tie. Will also try it without one.

John

Edited by JBlaze

I'm happy to see that it works!!! Thanks for the answer on the skirt material, I have 1 black and blue skirt left from the old Hydro-Silk. I tried for 2 years to get the company that made them to sell the material but they would not so I would buy full skirts and make my own. I think those who made that material would have been able to make a fortune had they sold the material separate but so be it, I will continue my search to see if there are any skirts still around.

• Like 1

I have a confession to make and it is a little embarrassing. I was to excited when he sent me the pic. It was an IM and all it said was," Your Lure". I jumped the gun and assumed it was the jig that caught it. Logan uses a couple of other lures that I make. I found out this morning that he forgot and left the jig in his truck and rode down to the lake with his dad and that  he caught the bass on one of the other lures that I make. He thought it was funny that I did that. I would not intentionally lie about or misrepresent anything that I have made so  I apologize to all of you for my anxious and careless mistake.  :wub:

I will probably not get a chance to throw it until Tuesday afternoon. We have a club night tournament on the 8th at Douglas Lake. It will be thrown and used if it has any good action at all. I will be sure and post the results on its action and if it did or didn't get me a/some bass.

John

I have a confession to make and it is a little embarrassing. I was to excited when he sent me the pic. It was an IM and all it said was," Your Lure". I jumped the gun and assumed it was the jig that caught it. Logan uses a couple of other lures that I make. I found out this morning that he forgot and left the jig in his truck and rode down to the lake with his dad and that  he caught the bass on one of the other lures that I make. He thought it was funny that I did that. I would not intentionally lie about or misrepresent anything that I have made so  I apologize to all of you for my anxious and careless mistake.  :wub:

I will probably not get a chance to throw it until Tuesday afternoon. We have a club night tournament on the 8th at Douglas Lake. It will be thrown and used if it has any good action at all. I will be sure and post the results on its action and if it did or didn't get me a/some bass.

John

We've all swung before we felt the fish on a big blowup!

Last night, our club held a tournament on Douglas Lake. I got about 4 miles from my hous and it started thundering, lightning and pouring rain so hard that it was hard to see where I was going. It rained up about until almost dark with lots of thunder and lightning. and continued to thunder and lightning long after dark. The reason I am telling you this is, I didn't venture very far from the ramp and left around 11pm because the storms were coming back and it was starting to rain again.

I cannot tell you if this jig will catch fish or not as I did not get to go to my favorite spots.  

The action on the fixed blade jig is strong not subtle in any way. It hammers. I made a bath tub video of it and put it on Photo Bucket but I cannot get the link to work. I will try to figure out what I am doing wrong. it has two different actions.

First, the action is not hard to get going, it starts at a slow roll pace and rocks from side to side, almost a roll. it is big enough so that I can see the hook of either side as it rocks.

Secondly, I think it has an X-ing movement. although I can't see its head shaking, the skirt is swimming with a very pronounced and smooth flowing S motion, almost like a multi-jointed swim-bait. It was pretty and had I been a fish, I would have bitten it.

I do think it will get bit. I was going to take it to a couple of long under water gravel points and work it over them. What I was able to fish last night were steep rocky bank that were in my opinion not conducive to working a swim jig. I was afraid I would hang it up and lose it.

Thanks John, but none of the videos work for me there.  The site, pictures, and even the boxing ad video load and run fine, but I just get the rotating loading wheel in the center of the video screen.

Mark, I am sorry this is not working. I made this video with a new phone camera. I have just had it a couple of weeks. The video comes up as mp4. All my past videos were done with an older camera and if I remember correctly they were mp3's

maybe that is the problem. I am not very computer savvy so I do not understand to much about these things.

I will try to make another one with the older camera and see if that corrects the problem.