Tritonchin

Best Primer

I currently am using createx opaque white as a base coat or primer to cover old paint schemes and to lay down a primer of sorts for my final paint job would you guys say that the polytranspar superhide white would be a better choice or is there something else that would cover with less coats

Why not strip them first. Thats what I do with re jecks and old lures from field testers. Run them thru stripper, (using gloves, hand wipe excess paint and stripper off) wash with very hot water, wash again in gasoline, then rinse with a dawn detergent concentrate with water. again, very hot water. Dont flush used stripping material, strain it, and re use it. adding more when needed. Waste is accumulated in 5 gallon buckets and disposed of at a waste transfer station as used paint. 

If the paint is still in good condition and not peeling I just rough it up and bit and paint any automotive primer. Stay away from spraying acrylic paints in a can as they can react with some common lure paints. I use a cheap auto primer in a can that you pick up from hardware stores. If its on bare plastic I would use a plastic/bumper primer first that you can buy from either a hobby shop or auto store.

If the paint is in bad condition I bead blast mine, a lot less messy.

You want a white paint that has lots of pigment and covers with the least spraying, and Superhide White fills the bill admirably.  I've tried several acrylic airbrush paints described as "cover whites" but Polytranspar is the best by far.  I don't like auto primers for crankbaits because of the lasting odor they leave, so I stick with water based acrylic airbrush paint.  Superhide dries fast enough that I can almost rotate a crankbait continuously until all underlying color disappears, usually twice around gives a pure white color base coat.  It dries significantly faster than Createx and creates a hard dry film.  I buy it by the pint, which lasts a surprisingly long time. 

Edited by BobP

If you go into the canned spray paint section of stores they have a white primer that works perfect. I think its Krylon maybe, but not sure??? They even have a primer that is white primer X2 that provides extra coverage. I get mine at AC Moore and Home Depot, not sure what you have in your area. If you're interested let me know and I'll get the exact brand but I think this is correct. Seriously though, its so easy, in most cases one blast covers the old paint, soooooome times two. Most baits don't even need to be scuffed up. Let me know if you plan on getting some and trying it and I'll go into more detail.