Black_Blade

Home Pouring Of A Non Lead Metal?

With all the regulations being put into place regarding the elimination of using lead weights, is there any other option for the home luremaker who wants to pour his own jigs and sinkers?  I work in an auto shop and have been collecting the old wheel weights, but somebody reminded me that we are not allowed to use lead anymore.  What other metals can you use?  And how easily can they be obtained?

Yes, well if the cost of the lead replacement is no issue and if the lesser density is not an issue for you.

Lead melts at about 671 Deg. F, or 328 Deg. C.    It has a density of 11340 Kg/Cubic Meter

Tin                            459                  232                                               7280

Bismuth                    521                  272                                               9750

As you can see, you can buy and use either Tin or Bismuth, both are considered non-toxic.  Bismuth is only 86% as dense while Tin is only 64% as dense.

Bismuth is currently running about $20/pound from Rotometals, while Lead is $12.54/5 pounds from them and Tin is $18.99/pound.  Of course, the larger the quantity, the better the price.  None of these prices include shipping and all are subject to change.

Bismuth is brittle and tin corrodes more then Lead.

So, are there options?  Yes, and they can be poured with the normal equipment with some adjustment to temperatures.  Are they as good?  NO.  I won't even go into how stupid outlawing lead in fishing lures is, so let me end this on a positive note. 

You have options, and I have given them to you.

Edited by Anglinarcher
  • Like 1

You can pour bismuth or bismuth and tin mix. They pour very well and make excellent quality jigs or weights without any bad pours. It has a lower melting point than lead, however the jigs are extremely hard, and if you have any flash, it is very sharp. I have been pouring bismuth jigs for the guys on the east coast. You can buy bismuth mix from Roto-Metals. Bismuth is about $20/ pound, so it will cost you. I also believe that Bismuth is 1/4 lighter than lead, so you will have to make bigger jigs to compensate for the smaller lead ones. One other thing and that is painting. If you powder paint, you will have to reduce your heating temp and increase your heating time, otherwise you will melt your jigs. There's a guy on here by the name of Hawn Jigs, he will hopefully chime in, as he has been doing this for a long time and knows his lead-free stuff as well.

http://www.rotometals.com/Bismuth-s/4.htm

Also see their alloy page as this will explain a lot of things to you.

Edited by cadman

Anglinarcher beat me to it. BTW Archer excellent info.

I will tell you this Black_Blade I totally agree with AArcher about the stupidity of the lead ban. I don't want to get into a heated argument here, But I totally disagree with the banning of lead. Here in IL, it came up for vote on banning lead 4 times already, and a petition was sent out to all parties to sign, so we could send to congress or whom ever to stop it. So far we are fortunate that every time it went for vote it failed.  So hopefully our signed petitions made a difference, I know you have no choice now, but when things like this come up, people need to get involved.

• Like 1

Wonder if you could encapsulate the lead, say pour a small jig in lead them insert it in the next cavity up and pour the tin or bismuth? But I too agree the lead volume produced and introduced to our waterways by fishermen pales in comparison to the crap big industry gets away with.

Can you encapsulate the lead, sure, it is possible.  Maybe not easy, but possible.  But..... the laws say no lead, zero, zip, nota.  In short, would not matter.

PS, most of the lead laws assume that birds will eat and consume the lead.  Some think that fish will consume the lead.  Most of the time there is no evidence that an appreciable number of either consume the sinkers or jigs and lures we loose.  Still, encapsulated does not eliminate it so ........ 

As for Cadman's comment to get involved.... I have heard it said that all that evil needs to win is for good men to do nothing.  Whose side are you, or WE, on?

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think the lead ban is ridiculous as well.  I didn't think there was an economical replacement for lead for guys who are doing this at home.  I don't really think there will be 'lead police' on the waterways in the near future.  I am getting a collection of tire weights together, although I am just getting into the lure making thing as a hobby and just got my first walleye harness kit a few days ago, I am starting to collect now for it will take quite a while to get a decent amount of lead at the rate I'm going.  I still have to get all the equipment for it yet, as well as maybe one of those wire bending contraptions for making the spinners.   Spinners...lol, I really have to force myself to use them on the water more, if nothing else but to gain some confidence in them, especially if I'm going to be making some.

Been pouring lead free for 10 years, and really like not having to worry about toxic fumes & dust. I would suggest the following 2 alloys as conveniently ready made for different applications..

http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/leadfreebulletalloy.htm = powder paintable at around 325*

http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/lowmeltingpoint281alloy1.htm = not suitable for powder painting

The special price low melt 281* alloy is hard, shiny, and corrosion resistant making it a good choice for unpainted jig heads or sinkers where 75% lead weight won't be a detracting issue. This alloy is more fluid than lead so molds must be tight to minimize flashing or leakout.

Perhaps the biggest challenge in lead free casting is the tendency of bismuth & its alloysl to expand when cooling which could result in sticking or lock up in certain molds. Then, the cavity surfaces would need to be smoothed either mechanically and/or with the augmentation of mold release agents.

Altho the metal cost of say a 1/16 size jig head would be less than a dime, heavier weight castings get very expensive at $1 to $1.25 per OUNCE metals cost.

Additionally, let me address the use of pure lead free metals without alloying.

Its possible to cast with pure bismuth for the advantages of heaviest possible lead free weight + high melting point easier powder painting. I personally don't like pure Bi because it is soft and crumbly and max likely to cause mold sticking problems due to cooling expansion compounded by a fragile sprue.

Pure tin on the other hand is much more useful IMO. It pours about as easily as good lead and has similar shrink cooling properties so demolds easily. The shrink factor might result in hooks being loose in small jig heads. Its a soft pliable metal easily desprued by cutting when twist off breaks aren't optimal and not recommended for spike barb jig head designs. Tin is max shiny and its light weight can be advantageous where slower fall or enhanced dart are desireable performance characteristics.

Never tried polishing either metal. I can say that in my experience mold cast pure tin is much shinier than cast pure bismuth. As a general rule with the limited amount of BiSn alloys I use, higher tin content = shinier & more tarnish resistant so higher Bi = lesser of those qualities.