pigslayer609

Crackle Paint Style Jig Finish

Hey tu. Had to make a new username to start this topic. Don't ask ha anyway I seen on various social media like Instagram people promoting there own jigs, and I ran across some that have like a crackle paint finish on the jig heads,like for furniture is the best way I can describe it. Like a two tone affect to it. I don't no if it's powder paint or just custom airbrushing. Does anyone no what the hell I'm trying to describe if so any information/where i can purchase this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

What you are seeing is veined powder paint, you can get silver vein, gold vein, and copper vein. If you go to fishing skirts they will sell you what they call black and silver foundation, this is silver vein powder paint, then you can buy any of the illusion colors to go over top. Take a look at these that I did, the one on the left is silver vein with candy green over top and the one on the right is the same with candy yellow over top, I messed them up as I went to heavy on the color but it will show you what it is.

DSCN05812_zps2915f37b.jpg

• Like 3

Smalljaw you are the man! Thank u so much again for the great info.I didn't even have a clue where to get paint like that or how to apply it as you stated! Thanks again. I got one other question for you that's probably been discussed before but I seem to have trouble with my powder paint. I have the weedless brush jig doit mold and I either get to much paint on the eyes or it might be bc I'm dipping them directly into the powder jar but when I bake my jigs in a toaster over even at lower temps/time then protec says to I got closed up hook eyes or lumps of paint on the botoms of the jigs from hanging you no. Let's say i made 10 jigs in a batch about 4 or 5 would be fishable. That ratio is not good at all. I have a homemade fluid bed set up just haven't used it yet bc i was just getting started and learing how to do everything but I want better quality and better consistency. Will using the fluid bed solve thoes 2 problems?I would mix the paint every jig I dipped so the powder was loose also. Plz any wisdom would be great!

Pigslayer,

Using a fluid bed, will put on nice even thin coats, if you don't keep a hot jig in the fluid bed too long. The fluid bed will also keep your powder paint fluffy. Remember one thing though and that is all powder paints aren't created equal, and they all will not work perfectly in a fluid bed. So you will have to work at it, but excellent results are achievable.

One other note on the crackle paint. If you want all those colors, like red, green and purple, you can also use candy color powder paint from Protech. Just make sure you put it on thin as the candy powder paint has a tendency to run if applied too thick. 

• Like 2

I have been experimenting with fishing skirts' silver/blk foundation and it does come out really nice and it really stands out after you bake it.  The baking makes the black dots come out more.  However, they do not recommend using a fluid bed for it as the paint is bonded together and the fluid bed or excessive shaking will cause the paint to come apart and not give you the effect you are looking for.  I usually just put a small amount in a little Tupperware type jar and roll it around to coat.  Dipping straight into the jar can cause it to cake on a little too heavily and it does not come out well.  On the other hand, after you have used the silver/blk foundation and baked it on, then you should use the fluid bed to put the candy paint over coating on there.  The fluid bed helps to get a really thin coating and everyone who has used this stuff can tell you that if you put too heavy of a candy coat on there it will completely cover the foundation and you will lose the effect.  I have tried the blue and purple candy paint from fishing skirts and the blue works really well, but the purple masks the foundation no matter what I have tried so I encourage you to experiment and if you have good results please post some pictures and let me know what you did to get it to come out.  I have been a tad frustrated with the inconsistency of this style of paint.  Actually, I have really just started using the silver/blk foundation as the whole paint job on chatterbaits and swim jigs and have had good success fishing with it.  Anyhow, I hope this helps a little and let me know how it goes.  Good luck.

Hello fellow members. Im new to TU, & would like to start painting my own jigs. I have a small starter kit, with some protech powder paint in an array of colors.

I saw a few photos on here with the vein paint, & was wondering how that effect was done. Would any vein powder paint work? Where does everyone purchase their vein powder from? Lastly, how does the application work?

Correct me if Im mistaken here.

1. Paint the jig heads w/ candy powder, then

2. Paint the jig heads w/ vein powder

3. Let it cool, than bake it?

Would you be able to see the veins right away?

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thank you everyone.

Welcome to the forum, what you do is dip into the vein paint, cure for 10 minutes at 350, and when I say cure for 10 minutes, I mean 10 minutes after the oven has hit 350 so if it takes 4 minutes for the oven to hit 350 then put them in a cure for 14 minutes. Then let the jigs cool, this will set your veined powder paint, the next step is to apply the candy color but you need to do so very lightly otherwise it will get too dark. After your candy color is added then do a final cure of 350 for 15 minutes or however you do it as well all seem to have a different amount of time.

Welcome to the forum, what you do is dip into the vein paint, cure for 10 minutes at 350, and when I say cure for 10 minutes, I mean 10 minutes after the oven has hit 350 so if it takes 4 minutes for the oven to hit 350 then put them in a cure for 14 minutes. Then let the jigs cool, this will set your veined powder paint, the next step is to apply the candy color but you need to do so very lightly otherwise it will get too dark. After your candy color is added then do a final cure of 350 for 15 minutes or however you do it as well all seem to have a different amount of time.

If you think  your candy coat of paint is too dark you can make it lighter by adding clear powder paint to the candy colors. 

I experimented with this quite a bit this past summer and found it a very effective way to lighten the top coat so you can see the undercoat.

vein.jpg

The blue and red are still too dark but I got the orange and purple about where I like them.

I also found out that the vein paint didn't work too well in the fluid bed for me.

• Like 1

Thanks for tips everyone. Im excited after receiving so many quick responses to my post.

BTW, I see that fishskirts sells vein paint in 2oz for 8.00. Is their paint pre-mixed to where I can just heat, dip, & paint without having to do the first step of pre-painting the jig with the vein paint?

Lastly, where does everyone pick up their vein paints from? Thanks in advance again. I will post as soon as I can acquire some vein paint.

Edited by chasn_steels

BTW, I see that fishskirts sells vein paint in 2oz for 8.00. Is their paint pre-mixed to where I can just heat, dip, & paint without having to do the first step of pre-painting the jig with the vein paint?

No, you need to do 2 steps, there are a few different veins you can buy if you look around, all powder coats seems to have the best vein range - I haven't bought from them yet though.

Up until now i've use columbia coatings, about to try prismatic powders.

Hello fellow members. Im new to TU, & would like to start painting my own jigs. I have a small starter kit, with some protech powder paint in an array of colors.

I saw a few photos on here with the vein paint, & was wondering how that effect was done. Would any vein powder paint work? Where does everyone purchase their vein powder from? Lastly, how does the application work?

Correct me if Im mistaken here.

1. Paint the jig heads w/ candy powder, then

2. Paint the jig heads w/ vein powder

3. Let it cool, than bake it?

Would you be able to see the veins right away?

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thank you everyone.

Yes there are crackle paints that are a one step process. I have been using them for 25 years. Dip in the powder and bake. You're done. I don't mess around with Fishing skirts.com 2 step process. The only drawback is that there are currently 4 or 5 colors, slv/blk, copper/blk. gold/blk and blue/blk. The powder I have is not commercially available unless you buy it by the #500 lb lots. Pm me if you need more info.

Cadman,

Are those crackle paints or vein paints?

Well that is an interesting question. When I apply the paint onto the jig, the paint has no vein or crackle. When you bake the jig, the intensity of the heat, crackles or brings out the vein. So now I don't know what you would call it? I do know it is a one step process. I understand the base coat and the candy powder coat from fishingskirts.com. I am not a big fan of this for this simple reason. Yes you can put on a silver (Crackle) base coat and then put on your candy (transparent) orange, blue, green or whatever. The problem I have with it is this. You have have to put on two applications of paint ( I don't know if you have to bake each application), and when you do that you have heavier paint. Also I do know that Pro-tec candy transparents, if applied to thick do run and drip. This is just my personal feeling about it. Everyone has t he right to buy and use what they find works for them.

You have a good point. So then it is veined powder paint.