TerryF2858

Eye Sizes

It really depends on the size of the bait your building. Eyes that would look good on a musky bait might look like cartoon eyes on a bass lure. On the size baits I build 3 sizes gets the job done for me. A few baits get 3/16" eyes and a few more get 5/16" eyes. Probably 80% of the baits I build use 1/4" eyes. And not all of them get 3D eyes. Quite a few of them are painted on. All you need for a template to paint eyes is a piece of clear plastic with various size holes drilled through it.

Ben

5 and 6mm will work for most of the plastic bass lures with recessed eye sockets.  Some vendors even recommend the proper size.  For my hand carved baits, I use 7 or 8mm.  The baits I carve tend to be on the larger side though.  The sources I buy my 3D eyes from use the metric designations.

I now only make 8mm eyes and use them on everything, (50- 60mm and 80mm lures), I think the smaller lures look more spooky with large eyes---plus I'm a lazy Bas--rd.

Pete

I believe everything you said except for the lazy part Pete. B) Nobody that's as creative as you are ever got that way by being lazy. :worship:

Ben

Thanks Ben, sometimes I think I'm possessed :eek:--Been working on another 3D copy lathe for 10 weeks, just trashed 'Mk 2' and starting to assemble 'Mk 2B', hope this one gets better results - SS0000000 much to do , so little time    :?.

Pete

Wish I could help Pete, but when it comes to stuff like that you and Dave might as well be speaking Latin for all I know about it. No doubt you will figure it out though.

good luck,

Ben