This is a repost from several other forums I'm active on. Just trying to get as many points of view and ideas as I can.

I think. A lot. Too much. I always have a "It'll Happen One Day" project I'm working on, it helps relax me. I'm currently working on plans for a non-profit fishing think tank w/ a research library and workshop/laboratory for children and adults.
What I have in mind is a community place for open research, investigation, and discussion of anything. luremaking/flytying to the best way to keep mud minnows, how simple scientific tests such as salinity, temperature, and dissolved oxygen can improve our fishing, re-examining ancient and traditional fishing methods and tools, etc..
What I would like from you guys is any ideas you have. Think of it like you had input into a place in yor community. What Equipment, Materials and Supplies would you want available. What events would you like them to host? Services provided. We're talk a dream place here so lets have fun. Thanks in advance guys and gals. I hope all of you find these cerebral projects such as this as much fun as I do. Maybe one day soon I'll be able to make it a reality.

Mr.Bait:

This web site, Tackle Underground is providing the knowledge from a broad base of experienced lure makers. Your Think Tank could provide a consolidation of this and other sites as long as there are no copyright issues.  It would be nice to extract the best tidbits and refine the multilevel post into the gist of the thread.  Then refine an entire thread into a couple of paragraphs and then group related information.  You would have a great book in no time.  You should also give the credit that is due for the information.

Since we are dreaming, how about access to tools that would be so nice but we don't have the funds or space for in our mostly home shops. 

• 3D printers
  • CNC machines
  • New materials, glues, finishes
  • Books, and DVD's on the craft of lures, rod making and flies.
  • An experienced person on location to help the inexperienced person get started in the right direction.

Sign me up I'd like to help!

This is a good idea, let hear some other thoughts.

Jim P

Thank you all for your wonderful ideas. I've posted this question on several forums and on all but two no one understood that this is a "Lottery Win" type question. Ive received dozens of posts listing all the reasons it wont work and had almost no one just throw out a "wouldnt it be nice" list. Top of mine is a 3D printer! Thank you all again but lets keep it coming. What references does our library need? What specific supplies, materials and equipment do we need? etc...

Do not let anyone dampen your enthusiasm for this project. True, it is unlikely ever to be an 'earner', but I am sure that was never the point. I have thought of similar projects for budding inventors, providing access to tools and knowhow for novices, to help get ideas off the ground and prototyped.

Perhaps you need to widen the scope of your project, after all, the same experience, knowhow and equipment is not limited to lure building.

Unless you have a very healthy bank balance, then local sponsorship will be the way to go. You will need to put together a detailed document in the form of a business plan. Back that up with a couple of powerpoint presentations showing lots of pictures of what and how you are going to achieve and a couple of short videos too - investors like lots of pictures and videos, not so much reading.

Dave

I think it's a great idea and who wouldn't sign up for swimbait 101. You would need to include different building technics so your pupils could compare the results such as resin pour,woodbuild,or pvc. Not to mention the different finishing options and a class in clearcoats could last for decades. I love the concept and what about wirebaits and plastic pouring. Sign me up if it ever becomes reality if I could afford tuition costs not looking for more student loans though got two kids that will do that for me

• Like 1

I know what you mean about loans, ugh. I think you and I are really on the same page, both financially and concept. My whole reasoning for doing this as a non profit is so we can offer all of this very inexpensively. I really like the idea of comparing materials, I would only add that I would like to look both to the past and alternative materials/techniques as well as the modern norm. Again, at the moment more of a wishlist of what I and others would love to have available to us locally. Kind of R&D Workshop with both individual projects/research and communal ones. Thanks for the support! --Adam

I have seen something like this on tv if I get the gist of what you are talking about, only it was for working on cars and other projects that you need machine  work for. They would let you come in for a minamum fee and supply all tools, machines and assistance if needed. The machines were cnc, lathes and so on. I just wish i could remember what the show snipet was called so I could go back and look it up. It was a neat concept.

I like the mobile idea.  Even better I'll drive and have the route all figured out for you.  A clockwise rotation around North America that keeps the trip in sync with the 70 something ambient temperature.

Also required stops at all fishable water, testing lures you know.

Sounds like you have at least a good curnell of an idea Mr Bait, getting it to fly might be a 'life work', but don't let that stop you.

I don't know how I could help but if I can I'm in.

You also have to realise that there are people from all over the world reading this post and Forum, so try thinking / looking outside the box (U.S), the lure knowledge in Asia, Russia, Finland and the rest of Europe dwarfs what we have here.

I'll be watching for sure.

Pete

Funding source = contact all NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB players and coaches to ask their non-profits to fund your non profit.

Project suggestion = Underwater Drone photography with or without GPS tagging.

Cavat = Avoid "junk science" by having knowledgeable fisherman on your team to vett projects and avoid bad publicity.

Good proposal for 2015!

John