con3head

New Swimbait - Gliding Problems/weighting

I disagree with Rowhunter.  I make and use both single and 2 piece glides and the 2 piece glides have a much better glide than the one piece glides, in my opinion.  I just posted some pics in the gallery of some 2 piece glides I just finished.  If I remember tomorrow I will post some pics of 4 different types of one piece glides I just finished.

Reading your first post again, particularly the observation about twitching and the bait always turning to one side. This is correct.

The first twitch will cause the bait to turn one side or the other. A vortex is formed on one side. As the water turns, the water pushes against the side of the lure, towards the mid to tail and forces the lure to turn. The bait is now sitting at an angle with the head to the vortex side.

The second twitch, the vortex will automatically form on the same side again, because it is already sticking out. In fact, because there is no ambiguity about which side the vortex is going to form, the effect is even stronger, and for all subsequent twitches. You can see this effect clearly from 1:15 of

Dave

update!

1. changing the ballast to the shown positions makes the movement a little bit mor stable but there is no smooth glide at all

2. changing the hinge system to pin and screweys has no effect on the movement!

And when i twitch it is still moving to one side, i think the sides are to flat maybe? like that the high and flat side makes a massive waterresistence???!!!!

I want a glide like the deps 250 slide swimmer and this one is swimming very wide and smooth from side to side, and if you twitch it, it turn immediatly like i can see....

so where is this magic happening????^^

should i grind of some from the top and bottom to make the bait thinner if you are looking from the side????

If I can achieve any thing close to this I'm happy.

IronBass,

I get that action if I leave the joint looser.  The tighter the joint, the longer the S swim, and the less the side turn on the pause or jerk.  Being able to adjust the joint gap on the water to get the retrieve I want is another reason to use screw eyes and hinge pin, and also why I love PVC.  No water intrusion worries.

Reading your first post again, particularly the observation about twitching and the bait always turning to one side. This is correct.

The first twitch will cause the bait to turn one side or the other. A vortex is formed on one side. As the water turns, the water pushes against the side of the lure, towards the mid to tail and forces the lure to turn. The bait is now sitting at an angle with the head to the vortex side.

The second twitch, the vortex will automatically form on the same side again, because it is already sticking out. In fact, because there is no ambiguity about which side the vortex is going to form, the effect is even stronger, and for all subsequent twitches. You can see this effect clearly from 1:15 of

Dave

this is exactly how it looks when i twitch!!!! have you found a way to get it work???

Edited by con3head

1 - You have to get the lure away from the vortex after the pull to allow it to glide.

2 - The pull has to be long enough for the next cycle to happen, which will send the bait in the opposite direction.

3 - the shape must be such that will allow a long glide.

This is going to read like I am having a go at your technique, but all I can do is read the evidence presented and apply some water theory.

Your lure is deep, thick and blunt nosed.

1 - This is not going to allow for long, smooth glide strokes.

2 - the cadence of such dimensions will be slower than you are perhaps used to.

The drum tap technique for 'walk the dog' works fine for narrow bodies. The cadence is fast and you are getting to that second cycle to change the direction. I suspect if you slowed down your action from a fast twitch to a slower draw - draw - draw action, you might find what you are looking for.

It is all about finding the balance or sweet spot for your particular lure. It is like the hunting thing; just about every lure will hunt, but only at a particular speed. The hard part is building a lure that hunts at a speed that you want to use.

You have to think more about what the water is doing around your lure. Vortices are forming one side then the other. The time between the left and right cycles is dependent on speed and dimensions. It is difficult because you cannot see the vortices and what they are doing. At the

, you can actually see a reflection of the vortices. Not too clear, but gives you an idea. My next test tank will have a mirror base, just for this visibility.

I know lots of members are not overly impressed when I start talking vortices, but how can you design effectively if you don't know what makes the lure work!

If you have a long thin mirror, try it in the bath tub with a lamp overhead.

Dave

• Like 1

If you don't mind me asking, how are you tank testing your lure?

I'll jump in on this and say that I use a water bucket on my driveway to ballast my two piece jointed glide baits, and to make sure they fall horizontal, and at the same rate.

I used a River 2 Sea S Waver when I first started as my guide for both joint gap and body section ratio.

Now I can pretty much judge how much gap my joint needs by holding the assembled bait head down, and seeing how far to each side the rear section falls.

There is nothing wrong with ballasting in a bucket.  The reason I ask is if he is testing the action of his bait in a small space, like a bathtub, he will never know how it actually swims.  It takes a bit of space to test the action, especially on a glide bait.  You can get away with a small space on some 3+ piece swimbaits but you aren't going to get away with a small space on a 2 piece glide.  Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Was thinking about this post this morning and one other thing came to mind. Make sure your ballast is only in the lower half of your bait. For instance, If I'm looking at a side profile, I would never drill a ballast hole up further than a line drawn from nose to tail. Ballast higher than that will cause the bait to lean. Just another thought.

250, has no weight in the tail section.  

so i´m wondering, if the equal weighting to each section is that important??? because if the 250 slideswimmer has no weight in the tail section, it can´t be equal or maybe the density is more so it sinks without extra ballast???

Douglas is right.  The two types of baits are weighted differently.

I never put weight in the last section of my jointed swimbaits, so the tail is more buoyant, and helps the bait swim horizontally.  I've found that adding weight to the tail results in a tail down swim.  While it does look like an injured trout struggling to swim, I find that a horizontal swim is more successful.

I have made several two piece glide baits that do glide with an S swimming motion.  

For me, equal rate of fall of the two glide bait sections is critical.  How it is achieved is up to each builder, but I add belly ballast to each section, after I've added the hooks and split rings so I get an accurate read.  I also put the hinge hardware into each section so I get a true rate of fall, and work to get the bait sections to fall at the same rate, and horizontally.

As was suggested here by Vodkaman and others when I posted about my problems earlier, having the two sections fall at the same rate, and horizontally, seems to put less binding force on the hinge, so it is freer to move with the changing vortices during the swim/glide.  A free moving hinge is also critical for my glide baits.

I am not arguing with Butch Brown's 250 modifications.  

I am only saying this works for me.

i undersand these things!

free hinge

weight equal 

falling at the same rate...

horizontally...

but, like you say you are weighting both of the TWO sections equal AND horizontally! this is not working when you say, do not use ballast in the tailsection, i don´t mean dierctly in the tail^^

i cant weight them equal and horizontally WITHOUT any ballast in the tailsection, because if i don´t, it sitting in the water nose down!

the first section will be horizontally that way and the tailsection is forcing to the surface....

hope you understand what i´m trying to explain^^

Edited by con3head