champ198

Wife Forms For Spinnerbaits?

so been dabbling with building spinnerbaits.

mainly use 1/2oz baits myself and have .035 wife forms. last time

out caught some fish on one of my spinnerbaits and the wore form was bent up pretty good and was not a large fish by any means maybe 15".

so do you all use heavier wire like .045 for your baits? just thought the .035 would be fine but now I'm wondering

anyone got any ideas or tips for me?

This is probably not the answer that you are looking for. But the thinner the wire the more vibration the more fish catching(????) ability the bait has. However the wireform will take a beating. Now .035 wire on a 1/2 oz bait seems too light to me. However if you go heavier, you probably will lose some vibration. So there is a trade off. I honestly can't give you an answer, as different guys like different things, and I build to what the guys like, as many of them do not like stiff wire, and rather catch fish and chalk up a bent (mutilated) spinnerbait to the cost of fishing and catching. There are standards I believe on LPO, that gives you what wire and blades are supposed to be on a spinnerbait.

Down here, 0.45 is the minimum wire on our most common spinnerbaits, 1/2 to about 1oz. Some guys go 0.51 but I think its overkill. But our fish are solid too, talking 3 foot, potentially 4 is you hook a monster.

I compensate with larger blades running duel colorados in 4.5 and 6 in worth sizing.

Spinnerbaits are what got me into lure making and I'm really detailed about them. I make baits specifically for burning, slow rolling, for still water and moving water and light current and heavy current and everywhere in between. That said, most like light wire because of vibration but durability suffers, and if you make a durable bait, vibration isn't great and maybe you will not get as many fish, no one really knows but one thing we do know is vibration doesn't hurt. I'll be honest, most of my 1/2oz baits are made with .035 wire, but I have found a way to make a more durable bait and keep a lot of vibration. So, in your case you will get a little more durability with .040 but you will lose vibration, so when it comes to your blades, you can use any blades you want but what you are going to do is shorten the distance between them, so if you are using 1/8" beads for spacers and you use 4 beads, reduce it by half and use 2 beads. By doing that you are putting all the torque created by the blades in a smaller area which will cause the wire to vibrate more, and the just the opposite happens when you space the blades further apart. The downside to this is the bait becomes unstable and if you reel too fast the bait will list to one side. So here are your options, you can keep the .035, which I find to be the best compromise as you get almost as much vibration as .032 but much more durability. Or you can go to .040 and leave the bait the same way and just see how it works with a little less vibration, or you can go to .040 and shorten the spacing of your blades to recoup some of the vibration lost by going to larger wire.

• Like 2

There must be a reason Willy Wackers still sell even though anglers KNOW that they may break after a few good fish.  

In answer to that there are two innovations I know of.  There is the Secret Weapon Lures spinner bait with its free swinging arm, and there is the King Cobra Dual Concept spinner bait with its heavy wire lower, and light wire upper.  

Stanley has a patented wire form called the "Vibrashaft", and what it consist of it tapered wire with the heavy portion on the body and "R" bend. From the bend to the tip of the blade are the wire tapers down so all the vibration ends up at the tip of the wire. Us home guys can't buy tapered wire but as I said before, we can adjust the blades sizes and spacing to create good vibration, I would put my spinnerbaits up against anyone made and I'll bet it will hold its own.