Dink Master

Short Video

Always neat to see this sort of stuff.  Also always makes me wish I could have a small basket and tour the facility for some samples.

I imagine most companies would close up the doors if dependent on our proficiency in churning out lures... even if we worked for free.   :lolhuh:  

One other thing....I don't think I would last long in "hook attachment" position.  Makes my hands and fingers hurt just thinking about it.

Edited by Travis

I just did a little research on minimum wages. I converted all the number to US$ and hourly rates:

US $7.25 : UK $10.45 : Costa Rica $2.24 : China $2.66 : India $0.73

It is not the fault of the manufacturers that they have to go abroad for cheaper labor, it is the fault of the consumers. The average consumer is just not prepared to pay 3x the $$ for a made in USA sticker. Any manufacturer who doesn't go abroad, is 100% automated, has a unique product that no one can copy or has a day job to support his family.

Dave

• Like 2

I will add an Amen to that too.

Here in Indonesia, the Hourly number is $0.84 which is a monthly of $145 and yes, people do manage to live on that amount.

My wife's brother travels to Jakarta starting 4am on Sunday, four hours away. He drives a delivery truck there for six days and gets back to the village late Saturday to see his family.

Alan's family is a wife and two young children. They all survive quite nicely on the $145 (Rp2,000,000). It has taken him ten years, but he now owns his own house which he built on the plot of land that he bought. Just needs a proper roof building to finish it off.

His kids eat well enough and go to school, eat candy and other kid things and they are happy.

I live here in Indonesia because I could not possibly afford a decent life in England. I am happy too.

Indonesian people do not have the expenses that you have in the US or UK; no heating or water bills, gasoline is $0.70 a liter, electricity is $10 a month with a few energy light bulbs and a digital tv. Clothes are hand washed, floors are mopped, vegetables are cut with a knife, cooked on bottled gas at $5 per month. I live the same way and no problem here.

I would love to start a lure business and employ Alan, his wife, and a few friends from the village and pay them Rp3,000,000 so they will live like kings and not have to commute. Maybe one day it will happen.

Dave

• Like 2

Thanks Andy, reply sent.

Pete - yes, same old problem. Aus, USA, UK, all we are good for now is service providers to our home markets. Eventually the global manufacturing field will level, but it will probably take a couple of generations. Even then, fiscally it will not be good.

Dave

• Like 1

Americans are generally not willing to live without a washing machine, cable TV, Internet service, and a host of other things that many people elsewhere routinely forgo ( as outlined on this very thread ). If they were, our minimum wage would go miles farther. Heck, I'll be that many minimum wage workers here use a smart phone during their break, as but one example.

Additionally our min wage includes workers comp, which provides protection and benefits for every worker for on the job illness or injury, along with contributions for social security payments in retirement, disability income, survivor benefits, etc.

In my state, if you are injured on the job, Workers Comp pays 100% of all your medical bills, plus if you're off work for an extended period because of an injury on the job, you can collect a hefty percentage of your normal pay. I wonder if that's the case in Costa Rica?

Of course, I am glad we have all these protections, but my point is that there is a reason why our jobs are driven offshore. Yet, we'd raise the mandatory minimum wage further? Everyone who punches a time clock should be able to have a house, 2.2 kids, and a picket fence? Ok, but ask yourself this question: Will that bring the jobs here? Or ... send more of them elsewhere?

I certainly don't want to start a debate here, but the problem is not wages, folks. It's jobs, period. When there are too many jobs and not enough workers, the employers must bid for workers. When there are too many workers and not enough jobs, the workers must bid for the jobs. That is how it always has been and how it always will be. You cannot simply legislate comfort and prosperity, here or anywhere else on the planet. Competition is always a factor.

I'm an old fart. I've lived a long time and had a lot of jobs. I had jobs like the ones shown in the video and some much tougher.. (I love their use of stencils by the way). I made minimum wage working jobs like that and it was a great motivation to get an education to do something harder that required more education and paid a higher wage. There is such a thing as an entry level position that requires only minimum skills and pays a minimum wage. Always has been, always will be.

• Like 3

Remember the main reason we have workers comp/ disability and many of the other benifits companies provide or are mandated to pay is that someone bled for them and families suffered hardships because of non covered injuries. Companies in general do not volunteer to give anything away. It's taken labor movements and legislation to get it this way. Not debating or arguing I just felt compelled to voice my opinion

• Like 1