CNC Molds N Stuff

360 Fishing Platform

I'm probably to big to really take advantage of this platform, but I thought it was really cool.  At first I thought it was a bit on the expensive side, but then I started thinking about the materials cost to build an S&G version and it adds up pretty darn quick.  

Just looking at it I think its more fishable than a jon boat for cast an retrieve angling.  It won't run as shallow as some boats though.  

Never heard of it, but I can see how poles would be effective, after all, the ship is only going to be used in shallow, still waters.

The anchor mode on a trolling motor is just an idea that popped into my head as I watched the video. it is very possible, using electronic GIRO technology. I doubt it has ever been done, as it is a lot more complex than the usual balance applications and the sale-able market would be quite small, at least at the start.

Dave

Never heard of it, but I can see how poles would be effective, after all, the ship is only going to be used in shallow, still waters.

The anchor mode on a trolling motor is just an idea that popped into my head as I watched the video. it is very possible, using electronic GIRO technology. I doubt it has ever been done, as it is a lot more complex than the usual balance applications and the sale-able market would be quite small, at least at the start.

Dave

Not sure you would call it "anchor mode", but some of your higher end trolling motors have something similar using GPS.

Ben

Trolling motors have  come a long way in the last few years. They can be programmed to follow contour lines, GPS coordinates, wind correction and a bunch of other stuff.

All the technologies incorporated into the fishing world have made things a lot easier for more people these days. Used to be you had to know things like seasonal patterns, prevalent forage, types of structure fish use under certain conditions, etc. What with down scan, side scan, GPS and a host of other goodies fishing has come closer to being like a video game. At one time being able to find fish was 75% of the game. It's not that way anymore. I've heard it said many times that you can teach a monkey to catch fish if you park him on top of enough of them, but teaching him to find them was a different story.

Technology has made our lives much easier these days, but I'm not so sure that's always a good thing.

OK. This "old school" poot is done with his rant now. As always it's just my :twocents: .

Ben

I still say there is no substitute for time on the water. The best guy I know personally is Billy Skinner. Some of you guys who live out west will know who he is. When he decided being a pro was what he wanted to do he put everything into it, got a place on the river, and spent everyday on the water. When he decided he needed to learn Havasu he got a place there and did the same thing again. Time on the water. Sure he has all those fancy electronics, but I'd bet on him on his home waters fishing out of a Coleman Crawdad... or a SuperSkiff.

Edited by Bob La Londe

Fancy tools certainly do make the job a lot easier. I certainly would not want to go back to pencils and protractors to do my job. But at the end of the day, they are just tools. A fancy CAD program is not going to make a top engineer without the experience, and the same goes on the lake.

I say bring on the technology, the top dog is still going to be the top dog.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

I'd have to disagree Dave. You can take someone who knows how to catch fish yet has limited fish finding skills, but is a whiz at the use of modern day electronics, and he can find and then catch those fish. KVD was quoted as saying he didn't even have to fish spots he finds in practice anymore . He claimed all he had to do was drive by a spot with side scanning sonar and he could tell whether it was a place he needed to fish during the tournament. And you don't even have to remember where that spot is. All you have to do is push a button and it's saved as a way point in the GPS with accuracy measured in few feet. Or even less. No more triangulating landmarks just to get you close to a spot.

Time on the water means a lot Bob. There's no denying that, but I don't see how you can deny that with all the electronics available today it hasn't made finding fish a lot easier. And you have to find them before you can catch them. I'm not necessarily talking about the best of the best when it comes to anglers either. Plenty of "weekend warriors" are using the same technology the pros are using and if they properly learn how to use that technology it will definitely make a difference.

Let me put it this way. I don't see anybody making a mad dash to go back to using a flasher and a compass anytime soon.

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy

Well, I haven't been able to afford all the technology the pros have the last few years.  If I sell a few more big custom jobs maybe.  LOL.  

Seriously I have a GPSMAP/Sonar and a flasher at the console, and for the last couple years I've not had my GPS/Sonar on the front at all.  This blind acorn still finds a squirrel once in a while.  I don't own an HD unit or a side scan or a 360.  If I had the extra cash I probably would be because at one time I did spend a lot of time on my home water I don't feel at too large of a disadvantage without them.  

I also think they help more on some waters than others.  

Of course since I've never been a big shot pro or owned my own HD unit I could just be arm chair quarter backing and my sour grapes around the room.  LOL.  

On a side note.  I fish a lot of shallow, stump infested, grass filled water, and the banks I pound are almost 100% covered with fragmata, pencil tulies, and cat tails.  Heck most of the "banks" I pound aren't even really hard banks.  They are brush lines of emergent vegetation.  Half the reason I don't have all that stuff is I am afraid it would be torn right back off on a stump.  I still cringe when a a regular hockey puck transducer gets banged on something.  

Edited by Bob La Londe

As I said before I'm not talking about the "BIG" players. There will always be a select few who rise to the top. What I'm talking about is how much easier technology has made it for those that aren't the big players.

A simple comparison of sonars alone should prove my point. The older transducers cone angle only covered a couple feet with the boat sitting in a water depth of 15 feet. With side scan imaging on today"s sonars you can see what's out there on either side of the boat for 80 feet. Now you tell me which one is easier to find fish with. It's like trying to peer into the darkness with a pen light versus a flood light. 

Ben

• Like 1

Wow!  A penlight.  Haven't seen one of those in a long time.  The cheap flashlight of today is am LED array.  LOL.  

If I had extra cash laying around in piles and I felt I had met my minimum charitable contributions to assuage my conscience I'd probably own an HDS 99 360 Structure Scan Biosonix Screaming Shad Simulating Remote Control Fish Diddler With Long Range Microwave Carp sterilizer too.  Just saying on my home waters I don't have to have one, and I don't think it would help as much as you might think.  Well, except for the Long Range High Power Microwave Carp Sterilizer.  

Edited by Bob La Londe
  • Like 1

Ive been fishing blind most of my life, closest thing i ever had to sonar was a wireless fish finder made by hummingbird... It was a cool little toy! The transponder could be casted from shore, or dragged behind the boat, the reciever and display screen was on a wrist watch.... Got 2 years of fun out of it, then it just quit working

Sure, a "360 down up laser scan point GPS side zoom pixel thermo graph view infrared tracking fish spy" would be nice to have... But... Is that even "fishing"?

I went out with a buddy once that had one of these devices... They seem to have some side affect that zapps the patients out of the fisherman... Watching the screen reminded me of standing at the ice cream truck when i was a kid... "that spot!.. NO THAT SPOT... No, wait, that spot!".......

Ive found many times the best spots are the ones everyone else flys by... And i didnt need electronics to figure that out

I had one of those little Humminbird castables. You replaced the entire transducer when the battery went dead. It was unserviceable.

Exactly... But my display went out too

One of these days id like to see where im fishing... Depth, soft or hard bottom, some indication of structure and temp would be nice too....... But until then, my rod and reel will do most that

• Like 1

I am a beleiver in the "old ways". I have a old Lowrance x75 on my 10' jon boat and a new ish lowrance hds 5 on my bigger 18' river/ocean boat. if i remember correctly the old lowrance doesnt show temp and is the old black and grey monitor where fish are little streaks. even on the new-ish one its just color and streaks. sure, if i had more money, id probably consider buying something brand new, and i love playing around on friends boats with all that 360, side scan sonar, but to be honest i am just happy where i am. they all have their pros and cons and everone has their set ways, we all will agree or disagree, but when it all comes down to it, it still fishing. 

• Like 1

I love my little 12' jon boat, and ill never get rid of it!... I almost got my hands on something bigger and faster, but then i ran into a housing delima (a boat would do no good with nowhere to park it)

Honestly i could never justify (or even consider) buying a thousand + dollar sonar for any boat

But i have had my eye on this for a while

http://www.humminbird.com/Products/110-Fishin-Buddy/