JRammit

Other Hobbies

Here is a crop of a spider pic that I am proud of. The original, whole spider image is 2,500 square, but I wanted you to see the detail.

attachicon.gifspider 1101.jpg

Dave

Dave, you are my hero. That is what I'm after (big hairy legs). I know that doesn't sound right. I have not had the time to develop my skills (more lack of skills) in photography. I do have a macro lens, and yes you are correct, that is not going to happen with the lens I have. With all of my tournies, jig making, full time job and my side work with cad, I don't have as much time to pursue my buggy photography. I actually bought my camera, to take better pics  for my website, so it wouldn't look so amateurish (is that a word)?

BTW I still do not get e-mails at home or any pop-ups here telling me that I have messages. So I can't follow TU as closely as I want to. I posted info to Curt, but never got this resolved. I use Firefox, does anyone else have this problem?

Ditto!  lol

Actually, I'm an old school metalhead and couldn't live without it.  Can't play a note on any instrument, but enjoy the music. 

I still like my metal(hard rock) to this day and I'm 57. My wife always asks me when am I ever going to grow up. i just love hard rock music. Can't stand country or pop, but I have to give credit to the artists that make the music. Someone likes it and they make a hell of a lot more money than I will ever make.

Galaxy  Note 4 (A FREAKING CELL PHONE) at a distance of about 2 inches.  That image was shrunk and deres-ed to make it small enough to upload.  Just the camera on the phone.  

FYI:  The caliper indicates .019" in that picture letting me know my misalignment is about .015."

You must be a machinist. No-one talks dirty like that on this forum. LOL Thank god you aren't making swiss watches. .015 would have you fired and in the un-employment line. LOL

You must be a machinist. No-one talks dirty like that on this forum. LOL Thank god you aren't making swiss watches. .015 would have you fired and in the un-employment line. LOL

LOL. One of my heroes on one of the machining forums is a watchmaker.

That particular cut was a test to see how to fit that blade into a mold plate. I made about thirty such test cuts before I cut the mold. I was just showing off how much cell phone cameras have improved.

BTW I still do not get e-mails at home or any pop-ups here telling me that I have messages. So I can't follow TU as closely as I want to. I posted info to Curt, but never got this resolved. I use Firefox, does anyone else have this problem?

I have the same problem Ted and I'm using Firefox as well. Curt looked into it and couldn't come up with anything.

Ben

Have u checked the notification settings on your profile?... That would be an ez fix

Bob - this is the stepper that I used:

Makrak 3981.jpg

Ted - no macro, no matter how much money you throw will get you hairy legs. Anyone who uses a macro for the first time is going to be disappointed. They will probably think 'should have got the big name or longer lens or ....'. The fact is, it would have made very little difference.

A macro lens allows you to reach 1:1 magnification, rarely any more. To achieve a 1:1 pic, you must be at minimum focus distance. For a short lens, this is very close to the subject. With a 105mm lens (mine), the minimum focus is further away, but still only 1:1. The 105 just means that I can be further away to get the same shot.

At minimum focus length, the depth of field or the slice of the subject considered to be in focus, will be about 0.5mm. This means the photographing a house fly, you can get half of one eye or the mouth parts or a bit of one leg or a slice of abdomen.

Focus in macro is an illusion. You fool the viewer into believing he/she is looking at a perfectly focused close up, but with smart positioning of the camera, still all you are able to give is half an eyeball, a piece of leg, slice of body and an antenna tip.

Ants are a nightmare for macro, take a look at this:

ant redhead 4818.JPG

I got the eye, mouth parts and a couple of leg segments in focus, to fool you into believing the whole ant is in focus. Of course, you will see that it is not as we are talking about the subject.

I very rarely go that close. I prefer to shoot from slightly further back, get a deeper depth of field and then crop the image close for a close-up effect.

Dave

Makrak 3981.jpg

ant redhead 4818.JPG

Makrak 3981.jpg

ant redhead 4818.JPG

Makrak 3981.jpg

ant redhead 4818.JPG

Makrak 3981.jpg

ant redhead 4818.JPG

Makrak 3981.jpg

ant redhead 4818.JPG

Makrak 3981.jpg

ant redhead 4818.JPG

Makrak 3981.jpg

ant redhead 4818.JPG

post-14497-0-96974300-1449106028_thumb.jpg

post-14497-0-06722000-1449107559_thumb.jpg

Bob - this is the stepper that I used:

attachicon.gifMakrak 3981.jpg

Ted - no macro, no matter how much money you throw will get you hairy legs. Anyone who uses a macro for the first time is going to be disappointed. They will probably think 'should have got the big name or longer lens or ....'. The fact is, it would have made very little difference.

A macro lens allows you to reach 1:1 magnification, rarely any more. To achieve a 1:1 pic, you must be at minimum focus distance. For a short lens, this is very close to the subject. With a 105mm lens (mine), the minimum focus is further away, but still only 1:1. The 105 just means that I can be further away to get the same shot.

At minimum focus length, the depth of field or the slice of the subject considered to be in focus, will be about 0.5mm. This means the photographing a house fly, you can get half of one eye or the mouth parts or a bit of one leg or a slice of abdomen.

Focus in macro is an illusion. You fool the viewer into believing he/she is looking at a perfectly focused close up, but with smart positioning of the camera, still all you are able to give is half an eyeball, a piece of leg, slice of body and an antenna tip.

Ants are a nightmare for macro, take a look at this:

attachicon.gifant redhead 4818.JPG

I got the eye, mouth parts and a couple of leg segments in focus, to fool you into believing the whole ant is in focus. Of course, you will see that it is not as we are talking about the subject.

I very rarely go that close. I prefer to shoot from slightly further back, get a deeper depth of field and then crop the image close for a close-up effect.

Dave

Thanks for the mini tutorial Dave. I have a long way to go with my photography.

I work as a breadman 60 hours a week And support a wife a 4 kids, so free time is a premium. That being said, over the past 2 years I've made from scratch...a chess set, a 4 foot rc pt boat, a naval strategy board game, and now homemade lures. I also paint ww2 aviation and naval subjects. In july 2007, fishing facts magazine used a bass painting of mine for their cover...a proud moment indeed , considering I would pour over that magazine as a kid who longed to go fishing...cheers to all you creators!

Im right there with you on the hours!... I drive a fuel/oil/chemical truck... Luckily DOT caps us at 70... Though my last job didnt care, it was 80s and 90s most of the time, with the occasional 3 digit week

With this job ive been home every night for the past 2 years.. Work comes and goes, some days im home before the kids get out of school, other days theyre in bed before i get home

A 2 day project might take me 3 weeks... Ive been at it almost 2 years and my tackle box still has empty spots...

Sometimes i feel like a dog chasing its tail.. I keep thinking ill catch it some day, and i never seem to get bored doing it!

Edited by JRammit

Wow....didn't think of you people as being so diversified.

I'm a sports nut and a outdoor enthusiast, that simple.

Enjoy golf (being with friends), children participating in sports (coaching them) my playing days are over, after them it's fishing....fishing.....fishing!!!

Through all I have done, fishing was always in the mix. From a very young age.

Dale

Dave, i played soccer too, all through elementary school.. I wanted to play football, buy my parents couldnt afford it... In jr high, the school paid for football, so my soccer "career" was over...... Competitive? Ha! Our team sucked, we never won a game

Dale, youre living a little dream of mine!.. Ive always wanted to try coaching kids football, even wrote my own playbook one year

I had a cool idea last year at Christmas.. For one of my youngest sons presents i wrapped up a bundle of 6' x 2" PVC pipe.. It stood taller than the tree, and he was dying to know what it was.... Should have seen his face when he opened it!.... "Pipes dad???"..... I also made a card and attatched it to the gift, but you know how kids are with cards..... "Read the card"...... The card was my hand drawn "blue prints" for two 10' x 6' goal posts, and in another box were 2 sets of endzone pylons...... He got a real football field for Christmas!

We built the goal posts and concreted them in the ground together.. And i mowed the sidelines and endzones down

If this was in my yard as a kid, my mom would have had to stock up on koolaid, cause the whole neighborhood would have been at my house!..... But i guess kids these days are hypnotized by video games, cause the field went virtually unnoticed..... Weve had a few small games on it, and he's out there almost every day pretending to win the Superbowl.. So i guess it was a success

Heres a little video clip of him i made last summer

Ethan field goal:

• Like 1