JRammit

Other Hobbies

Don't have time for it anymore, but I used to do model train layouts. I did N scale size. Loved the detail I could get. I just love trains. Doing layouts, looking at old pics, finding a place to go to ride the old ones.

My wife was really into Z gage when I met her, but she was more of a collector than a builder.  

I like to build rods, tie flies , modify or make my own jigs from blank molds, reproduce ancient stone tools ( flintknapping ), sculptures from driftwood, glass etching , make bracelets , love playing pool , drawing , painting , carving in stone . Here is a couple pics .

Like many too many fascinating things to see and do , not enough timeHardi.thumb.jpg.5e66e5156b230774ef2b5def10e7e088.jpg

Tiffany.PNG

• Like 1

My interests evolve, carry through, wane, then I'm on to another. Sometimes they last a few months sometimes years.

I was a science teacher for 30+ years. The interest developed following NASA's push for the moon. I did amateur astronomy for awhile.

I am a graduate of the Maine school of Guitar making... i made a bunch and it help put myself through college with it. I also play a bit...

I've painted a bit... portraits mostly.carol.jpg.65abedee0a7ce19118812482125d2eaa.jpg   IMG_0254.jpg.4a6a0d5ce20062b470c56d1577f817d3.jpg

I've done a ton of woodworking, furniture and such...I've got a nice shop. I've built a couple of houses...everything except the foundation.

I've made a couple of boats, and a couple of campers.

workshop.png.44ad7c4b4c327360583c69d87d237a39.png

Lately..  I make lures.... for awhile anyway. Oh... I fish too. To name a few.

DSC03249.thumb.jpg.fc5e31082333213c1555519f34a0b65a.jpg

Great stuff; some of you are way skilled!  It's always cool to see what someone can do when they've taken time to get good at their craft!

I suppose woodworking and gardening are my current hobbies.  I spend a lot of time making and testing lures.  I've caught about 65 largemouth this month, mostly while fishing with my two oldest sons (5 and 3).

Well since I’m brand new here it’s probably obvious that i am trying to add lure making to my list of hobbies. Over the past year i have been slowly adding tools to be able to fully make my own baits (primarily wanting to make my own swimbaits) picked up a very lightly used HD belt sander, bandsaw and drill press a while back. Added a set of flexcut knives recently and the wife got me the only real thing i asked for Christmas which is a brand new shiny iwata eclipse hp-Cs. Lots of little supplies have shown up in the last couple of weeks thanks to amazon and lure parts, really hoping to have my first swimbait done here in a couple of weeks. 

l bought my first boat about 2 years ago which was a old Lowe hustler pro 1754 aluminum mod v, and since bringing it home i pretty much spent the last two years completely rebuilding it gutted everything and did a full Jon to bass conv3rsion which took me Damn near a year alone so I’d say there for a long time boat building was my only hobby lol. 

used to be into sport bikes like it was life itself started on a 2000 r6, then came a Honda Cbr 954 (best machine I’ve ever owned) and then the last was a 2006 cbr 1000 (love me some Honda’s) a near fatal accident took my love for bikes away in 2013 and i haven’t ridden since. I don’t think i would ever get back on a sport ride because of my injuries would make it very uncomfortable, but i think one day i may pick up a cruiser since the wife loves to ride And having a rider on a sport isn’t exactly pleasurable. 

Other then the limited time i get on the water to fish i generally like taking on diy projects. Honestly the only reason i don’t add a lot of hobby’s to the list is simply because of limited funds. I dream of one day having a big shop and adding a lot of general machinery both auto and wood working, I’d love to make my own parts so CNc And 3D printing interest me a lot, and I’ve always wished ever since i started riding bikes that i could weld so if i ever get the funds I’d love a tig setup because to me the ability to weld aluminum is what I’ve always wanted (the best metal imo)

• Like 2

Old post, but great read!  My other hobbies, play volleyball (not quite as good as i used to).  I've been hit by a bug, and an appreciation of vintage wood working equipment.  Specifically pre-WW2 era.  Just a certain quality and "weight" to these amazing old machines.  I love the Beaver equipment made in Canada.  Hope to have a huge collection someday.  

Along those lines as well, I've fallen in love with artifact hunting.  I have had the opportunity to do so for years, but never cared to much.   But these days, I love nothing more than walking the banks of the mighty Winnipeg river and looking for arrowheads, or any such artifact.  I've found a few amazing things.  As I get older, I seem to have more of a connection with the past. 

I've built a lot of different things over the years. Mostly guitars and more recently it's been furniture like entry tables. I've picked up welding over the last couple years. Very novice, but I do a good enough job to make leg sets for tables. I built a boat when the covid thing started and sold it after its maiden voyage. And I'm also into jiu jitsu, which I like to describe as the art of folding clothes... While people are still wearing them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Late to this party, but havn't been on board for long.  Like making and using my lures.  Been using a lot lately, but the season is rapidly running out.  Used to love ice fishing, but cold and slick surfaces kinda take the fun out of it anymore.  Do a bit of hunting, used to do a lot.  Old age catchin up. LOL.  Been making wine since 2009.  Had a pie cherry tree that went ballistic, Kathy got all the cherries she wanted for pies, jelly and whatever she wanted to make.  Had a lot left over, tried making a batch of wine.  It was drinkable but not great.  Make a pretty good batch now when the urge hits.  Freezer is pretty much full of fruits, guess it is about time to get busy and start making again.  Have to start stacking firewood so I can get to painting and making lures this winter.  Garden is about done for the year. Raise a fairly big one, dont need as much produce as the kids have left home.  73 years old and still on the volunteer fire dept.  Not active like I used to be, but sometimes get to help whoever needs it.  Seems like the younger folks dont have the time or inclination to help the town out.  Sad to see, but can see the small town fire depts. slowly fading away.  Arne.

• Like 1

IMG_2488.jpg.914885e57470145a01fc48641271afeb.jpgI am a Newbie here as well as new to airbrushing. I have for many years been a member of the "look at what I produced from which I made" Fly fishing made me into a fly tyer, that pushed me on to a tapered leader maker then onto building a fly rod. I use to love climbing high which turned into antenna and arial maintenance for a few radio enthusiast, that has lead me to the other hobby of Amateur Radio Operator callsign VA3GPK or VE3IVU. Fishing has always been my fall back to relax and enjoy so a few years ago I started out making musky bucktails along with a few rubber body baits that lead me to powder coating, it is a great way to put the hard finish needed for the blades but it leaves a large hole (IMO) for multi  colour blending. That has me now moving onto Airbrushing which is leading me into another avenue of bait playing (making.) Enjoying fishing has me out with my grandchildren and I love the smiles on their faces when they catch a fish on a bait that they either helped me make or one that I made and gave to them.

• Like 2