den101

Spy Baits

I haven't seen any yet and guess it takes awhile for the KO makers to decide whether a spy bait is popular enough to begin turning out versions.

Haven't had much luck with them fishing for largemouth but caught a bunch of smallmouth on Duo Realis Spinbait 80's in Ontario this fall.

fishon, I like baits that I can cast out and let sink to a prescribed depth before reeling them back to the boat.  The running depth of a bait is one of the critical fishing parameters.  The only issue I have with the Japanese spinbaits is that most of them are super tiny and I think they are hard for bass to see if you are fishing water that is more than slightly stained.  But if you throw them on a spinning rod and 6lb test as they were designed to be fished, they will catch bass - particularly if they are feeding on small threadfin shad.  Here in the SE, I have better luck with soft plastic swimbaits thrown on heavy jig heads because they offer a larger profile and a kicking tail action - and they can be fished just like a spinbait as far as sink rates and picking your retrieve depth.  As a crankbait aficionado, I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I use them more than deep diving crankbaits these days.  But their adaptability to fish any depth as you move around a lake makes them pretty attractive. 

• Like 3