Bassfisher1

How To Obtain A Flat Color Look

I had a request to do a simple Dolphin color. The problem is that they want the finished lure to have a flat paint look, no glossy look. How do I obtain a matte finish without sacrificing my topcoats? I think Berkley Flicker Shads use to offer the flat colors.

Edited by Bassfisher1

This is a tough one, as even those durable topcoats that have matte properties are not truly matte.

Ironically, matte or gloss, both look the same under water, so other than satisfying a customer's request, it is pointless. Give a gloss bait the treatment with a very fine emery, to make it as matte as possible. Hold it under water alongside a gloss bait for comparison. If I am right, show the comparison to the customer and change his mind.

Dave

• Like 1

I sell a number of lures from an Asian company and one of their colours comes in a very nice matte finish. It is a pure matte finish and looks and feels very different to normal coated lures both above and below the water. It doesn't actually look like there is a top coat on it, so I suspect it may be some special paint they use. It is a very tough finish and is actually more durable then their standard top coated lures.

I sent them off an email tonight to see if they will give up any secrets about the paint/top coat, if I get any info I will update the topic.

• Like 2

Might want to use your normal topcoat and once set spray the lure with Testors/Model Master (whatever they are calling it now) flat lacquer in the rattle can. Might need only a misting to get the effect or maybe a light coat over the entire bait.  Adhesion should be satisfactory and any areas that get rubbed will have hook rash anyway.

I had a request to do a simple Dolphin color. The problem is that they want the finished lure to have a flat paint look, no glossy look. How do I obtain a matte finish without sacrificing my topcoats? I think Berkley Flicker Shads use to offer the flat colors.

I think the only real way to get a matte finish is use a matte lacquer paint. A lot of the older baits I've seen that was a matte finish did not have a topcoat

The tests in my aquarium shows that gloss finish lures reflect light and sanded dull lures do not. There is a difference to me. Do the fish care? I doubt it. LOL.  I have used a scotch brite pad to dull my gloss down in the past. If I was to do bigger quantities, I would use a tumbler with correct grit for a short time. Make sure the finish has plenty of mil finish, or you will be getting into the paint.

Lure company got back to me and apparently they use a matte paint only, there is no top coat.  What ever paint they use it is super tough, but they weren't giving up any secrets.

Well that's too bad, I was in hopes of having a viable solution. This weekend I'm planning on trying the "Plastic Dip". I will post results once I have completed. I may order some matte finish topcoat to try also. As far as matte paints go, I agree with Jeff on the lacquer paints being an option but I don't know how they will hold up without the topcoat. I'm also not setup to work with lacquers. I prefer water-based paint.

Edited by Bassfisher1

The tests in my aquarium shows that gloss finish lures reflect light and sanded dull lures do not. There is a difference to me. Do the fish care? I doubt it. LOL. I have used a scotch brite pad to dull my gloss down in the past. If I was to do bigger quantities, I would use a tumbler with correct grit for a short time. Make sure the finish has plenty of mil finish, or you will be getting into the paint.

In his LIFisherman article on building the jointed eel, Jack Frech recommends dulling the finish with steel wool, and says that he thinks dull finish plugs catch more fish than shiny ones. Fish don't look shiny when they are in the water.